Windows 10: Unable to Change Desktop Background

Discus and support Unable to Change Desktop Background in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey There, I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 which seemed to go well, but for some reason I am unable to change my desktop background,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Carl, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Carl Win User

Unable to Change Desktop Background

Hey There,

I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 which seemed to go well, but for some reason I am unable to change my desktop background, though the normal Personalization options. I can, however, go to the "Solid" option and change it to a different color. Also, if I download a wallpaper it only gives me the option to set it as the lock screen, and not the desktop.

A little background: This is the second PC that I've installed Win 10 on. The first was a newer laptop and I just went with the express upgrade from 8.1 and had no problems. The other laptop (the one I'm asking about) is a little older and I decided to do a clean install from Win 7 using the Windows 10 Media option downloaded to a USB drive. Also, when comparing the two desktops I notice that this second laptop has "WIndows 10 Home" displayed in the lower left hand corner of the desktop (as if it's a different version of Window 10, but when I went to the Win 10 update it says that No updates are required). After thinking that maybe the OS didn't install correctly the first time I went to Recovery and decided to Reset my computer, but that didn't change anything.

After researching this issue, the first thing I checked was the "Ease of Access" Remove Background Images was unchecked. Beyond that, I can't seem to find anything on the web that seems to address this.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or insight somebody might have regarding this. Thanks for reading, and let me know if you need me to further clarify my question.

FYI, basic system specs:
    Sager Laptop (don't recall exact model)
    CPU: i7-2760QM
    GPU: Nvidea GTX 560M SLI
    RAM: 8GB

:)

Carl, Aug 5, 2015
  2. SujataMoktan, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Unable to change desktop background

Hi, Caristas.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the issue that you are facing currently, and we in Community will try to resolve your issue the best way we can.

I would suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below to change the desktop background picture to your liking.

STEPS:

1. Click on the Start Menu, then locate "Settings".

2. Click on "Personalize'.

3. Once there you can see the options to various other desktop settings on the left menu pane.

4. Click on the one that you want to change and apply changes.

Hope this information helps.

Regards.

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Unable to Change Desktop Background

hello, everyone
    if other options did not help, I had this same problem.

please try settings>ease of access>other options>visual options as title then simply turn on "show windows background"..

this option has helped with showing my background pictures I hope this can help everyone else aswell thank you for reading

Web NekMit, Aug 12, 2015
Thema:

Unable to Change Desktop Background

1. Unable to Change Desktop Background - Similar Threads - Unable Change Desktop

2. Unable to change lockscreen background

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change lockscreen background: I've been having this problem for a long time, no updates have fixed it yet. Whenever I try to change my lockscreen image, it keeps loading the image but never does, as shown on the image. I tried to leave it loading for over a day and it never did.I've tried every solution...
  3. Desktop background will not change.

Desktop background will not change.: I cannot change my desktop background to anything but black I cannot add any pictures or desktop backgrounds I have checked settings themes and everything I could think of but I cannot find the problem please help*Moved from feedback....
  4. Desktop background will not change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop background will not change.: I cannot change my desktop background to anything but black I cannot add any pictures or desktop backgrounds I have checked settings themes and everything I could think of but I cannot find the problem please help*Moved from feedback....
  5. Desktop background will not change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Unable to change the background in the pop up menu in desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change the background in the pop up menu in desktop.: Unable to change the background in the pop up menu in desktop. *Moved from Office insider. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-the-background-in-the-pop-up-menu/80375620-21be-4bbf-9850-60065159ae02
  7. Unable to change the background in the pop up menu in desktop.

Unable to change the background in the pop up menu in desktop.: Unable to change the background in the pop up menu in desktop. *Moved from Office insider. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-the-background-in-the-pop-up-menu/80375620-21be-4bbf-9850-60065159ae02
  8. Unable to change Black solid color desktop background image.

Unable to change Black solid color desktop background image.: After mistakenly installing and then removing an OEM manufacturers program on my Win 10 notebook, my desktop background image is now solid black. On the Personalisation screen, Background tab, this message "*Some of these settings are hidden or managed by your...
  9. Change Desktop Background

Change Desktop Background: I want to change the Desktop Background, I want to put a picture of my granddaughter that I have on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-desktop-background/26184aba-aed7-4f05-ac92-8ace3ba1f30c
  10. Changed Desktop Background At Home, And It Changed Office Background.

in Windows 10 Support
    Changed Desktop Background At Home, And It Changed Office Background.: can't quite figure out what's going on here... - had three windows 10 pcs networked at my business location (miles from home), all with different desktop backgrounds, all with slightly different configurations. - one of the three pcs was purchased for home use, it was just...