Windows 10: Unable to change Reboot setting in UpdateOrchestrator

Discus and support Unable to change Reboot setting in UpdateOrchestrator in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, not sure what subforum to put this in.. A little background information since I am new to this forum. I've been using W10 since it first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mujjuman, Oct 25, 2017.

1. mujjuman Win User

Unable to change Reboot setting in UpdateOrchestrator

Hey guys, not sure what subforum to put this in..

A little background information since I am new to this forum. I've been using W10 since it first came out, and I really loved it being a fan of Windows 7. I felt like Anniversary Update made it even better! Then, Creators Update rolled out, and thats when things started going downhill and MS started taking more and more control of our OS away from us. My Dell XPS 13 finally had the Fall Creators Update roll out and I updated because it recently started having a random lockup issue (not sure if that's resolved yet, but I was hoping that FCU would fix that). Random lockup issue was due to some Windows updates from a week or so ago.

Anyway, I am running W10 Home, current version is 1709 (FCU). I had disabled automatic reboot after updates last time by going into task scheduler, finding the UpdateOrchestrator folder, and disabling the entry for automatic Maintenance (pain in the ass) and disabling the entry for "Reboot". This successfully disabled random reboots and disabled automatic waking. I went back into task scheduler to doublecheck my setting post-FCU, and I was not surprised to find that it was re-enabled. Upon trying to disable it, it says that my current account (which is an administrator account) does not have permission to disable. Trying to edit it gives me a similar message...

Is there someone else out there who has done the same task scheduler setting that I did in the past, and is there any way around this other than reverting back to creators update?

:)

mujjuman, Oct 25, 2017

2. Administrator account not allowed to disable UpdateOrchestrator Reboot task after latest update

SCHTASKS /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot" /DISABLE

ERROR: The specified task name "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot" does not exist in the system.

michaelmross, Oct 25, 2017
  3. abvvvv Win User
    No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

I couldn't find "UpdateOrchestrator" just by itself, I found "UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot", went to permissions and gave Full Control to Administrators. I don't know how to change the owner though and I don't
    know if that's what you meant exactly.

I then went to Tree's permissions and tried to give full control to Administrators but I got this message:

---------------------------

Windows Security

Unable to save permission changes on Tree.

Access is denied.

Retry Cancel

and couldn't save changes.

abvvvv, Oct 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, just wondering if there's there any reason you're not using Active Hours in Settings to limit the chance of updates? - there's an 18 hour period available. Is that because you've experienced your PC waking to update?
    (Yes, I know this doesn't answer the question directly...sorry!)

Unfortunately as you have Home, you don't have the other options available to Pro upwards users to control updates.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  5. mujjuman Win User
    That's a valid question. Because I often leave my work open and it's very tedious to have my computer reboot every week because of it. I dont mind updates installing in the background, I just want to be able to reboot when I can. Usually about once a month.
    Active Hours didnt work for me, sometimes it would reboot as soon as I left my computer for an hour break and lost a lot of my work as a result. Not convenient! I've wanted to upgrade to the Pro version for a while now, but I never got around to it especially after finding that fix for Home version.

Anyway, I have submitted this to MS via the Feedback app. Not sure if it will do any good, haha. It appears that I have to look for other solutions. Can you please tell me what Pro can offer me with regards to controlling updates? I think I remember reading that it can let me defer updates for a week or so.

mujjuman, Oct 25, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi I quite understand you not wanting restarts. I've no idea why Active hours didn't work for you; I have noted that restarts pending during active hours have not taken place after the end of the period.

With Pro you can
    - set updates to Notify only (= notication via the Action Centre, then click that, Settings opens to show you a list of updates. You can then choose to download them.

- defer feature updates (= major builds) - for up to 365 days via Group Policy (I think that appears in Settings too now).

There is a 30-35 day period- see below

So I have pretty much complete control of updates.

One minor inconvenience now that Defender seems to have changed its role in the CU is that I am notified of Defender updates daily now. (I have Avast installed).

Some elements of group policy (there are more)

Unable to change Reboot setting in UpdateOrchestrator [​IMG]

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  7. mujjuman Win User
    Thanks dalchina, for the clear and very informative post and thank you so much for sharing shots of your group policy!
    I guess I'll have to form up $99US to buy a Pro key!

mujjuman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to change Reboot setting in UpdateOrchestrator - Similar Threads - Unable change Reboot

2. Settings change every reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings change every reboot: Hello everyone,so I have the problem that every single time I start my PC, the setting "show window content while dragging" gets disabled for some reason. Every single time I re-enable it and I dont know why it does it. It is really annoying and I hope you can help me fix...
  3. Settings change every reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings change every reboot: Hello everyone,so I have the problem that every single time I start my PC, the setting "show window content while dragging" gets disabled for some reason. Every single time I re-enable it and I dont know why it does it. It is really annoying and I hope you can help me fix...
  4. Settings change every reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Microsoft/Windows/UpdateOrchestrator/Backup Scan Default settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft/Windows/UpdateOrchestrator/Backup Scan Default settings?: I had problems with this starting my pc from sleep a very long time ago. I no longer sleep my pc, and I hate to leave things "broken" when it can be avoided. (i intend to never reformat this pc ever courtesy of macriums restore to dissimilar hardware) so its pertinent to keep...
  6. Unable to set or change PIN

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to set or change PIN: I'm trying to help someone with a Surface Pro running v1909. It's joined to a local AD domain at his office. He's logging in with a domain user account but he would like to also setup a PIN. There are no group policies setup to have anything to do with PINs and I'm not even...
  7. Update 1909 and UpdateOrchestrator

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update 1909 and UpdateOrchestrator: Does anyone know if they patched this update? I was forced into 1909 today from 1809 and saw that this was one of the bigger issues. I'm not able to really find anything on it being fixed but just wanted to see if anyone here knew of anything at all. If they didn't fix this,...
  8. Privacy settings - Unable to change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Privacy settings - Unable to change: I have windows10 home edition. I cannot change privacy settings of general, microphone, location, camera and diagnostics feedback. It says it is managed by your organisation. It is my personal honme PC, laptops . All have the same issue. I have Avira antivirus. Can that be...
  9. UpdateOrchestrator

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    UpdateOrchestrator: Hi. First time posting. My computer got woken up at 3 am and it was doing nothing , woken up, spending electricity and raising the bills until i saw it now at 11 am. I have tried to disable this event and nothing has worked . I need a solution to this problem because i...
  10. background settings change on reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    background settings change on reboot: I have an HP laptop Windows 10 with all of the drivers updated. Desktop personalization background is set to picture fit to screen. everytime I reboot the setting reverts to background solid color. How do I stop this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot does not exist

2. ERROR: The specified task name Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot does not exist in the system.