Windows 10: unable to change screen brightness with function keys

Discus and support unable to change screen brightness with function keys in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Dear community, I've got a new HP ProBook 430 G5 running Windows 10 Home. I am having difficulties with adjusting the brightness of the screen via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by [Sarah_S], Jul 5, 2018.

1. [Sarah_S] Win User

unable to change screen brightness with function keys

Dear community,

I've got a new HP ProBook 430 G5 running Windows 10 Home.

I am having difficulties with adjusting the brightness of the screen via the function keys. I can do it manually but I would prefer being able to use F3 and F4.

The other Function Keys work when pressing fn. Also, F3 does work when I want to find something in my browser (without fn).

Therefore I do not think it can be a hardware problem.

I have already tried updating the driver of the graphics card and of the monitor, neither helped.

I would welcome suggestions as to what I could try now.

Sarah

PS: I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section but I was just unsure which topic would fit best.

:)

[Sarah_S], Jul 5, 2018

2. Unable to Change Screen Brightness of Laptop

So I'm not sure how long this has been happening but for some reason, I can't change the brightness on my laptop screen. I have linked a picture and as you can see, my brightness says 0% and that I can't change it, however my actual brightness is at 100%. I have looked around everywhere and the only responses I have found don't work for me. Here's a list of everything I have tried:
    - Reinstalling Display Drivers
    - Rolling Back Display Drivers
    - Reset Settings on UWT4
    - Power and Battery Settings
    (UWT4 or Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 is a customizer for Windows 10 and I thought that might be the problem but it wasn't)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, it's greatly appreciated! Thanks! -

FrostyTigerXP, Oct 29, 2018
  3. [Sarah_S] Win User

Dear community,

I've got a new HP ProBook 430 G5 running Windows 10 Home.

I am having difficulties with adjusting the brightness of the screen via the function keys. I can do it manually but I would prefer being able to use F3 and F4.

The other Function Keys work when pressing fn. Also, F3 does work when I want to find something in my browser (without fn).

Therefore I do not think it can be a hardware problem.

I have already tried updating the driver of the graphics card and of the monitor, neither helped.

I would welcome suggestions as to what I could try now.

Sarah

PS: I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section but I was just unsure which topic would fit best.

[Sarah_S], Oct 29, 2018
  4. Ratandeep Win User

Issues with Screen Brightness and function keys

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue.

Brightness issue may occur due to incorrect power settings. Functions keys issue may occur due to corrupt keyboard drivers.

For brightness issue, I would suggest you to run power troubleshooter
    and check if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.

b. Click troubleshooting in the search results.

c. Click "View all" and then click "Power".

d. Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

For functions keys issue, I would suggest you to run hardware and devices troubleshooter
    and check if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.

b. Click troubleshooting in the search results.

c. Click "View all" and then click "Hardware and Devices".

d. Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Ratandeep, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

1. unable to change screen brightness with function keys - Similar Threads - unable change screen

2. unable to change brightness

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to change brightness: i dont any slider to change my brightness, i've tried doing all the driver updates and whatnot and nothing has changed, its becoming really annoying at night when my screen is bright and i have to use something like night light which ruins the colours...
  3. unable to change brightness

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to change brightness: i dont any slider to change my brightness, i've tried doing all the driver updates and whatnot and nothing has changed, its becoming really annoying at night when my screen is bright and i have to use something like night light which ruins the colours...
  4. unable to change brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Keys to change the screen brightness

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keys to change the screen brightness: I recently got a new mouse with 2 extra macros so I want them to be buttons to adjust my screen brightness. Do you know how I could? Which shortcuts adjust screen brightness? submitted by /u/GeassFTW [link] [comments]...
  6. Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903: I was forced to update to Win10 1903 today from 1809 by Windows and after updating I encountered a bit of an issue, changing the brightness now isn't as smooth as it was before with the function keys as seen here SEyRYGojBsA in comparison, changing the brightness with the...
  7. Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903: I was forced to update to Win10 1903 today from 1809 by Windows and after updating I encountered a bit of an issue, changing the brightness now isn't as smooth as it was before with the function keys as seen here SEyRYGojBsA in comparison, changing the brightness with the...
  8. Unable to change screen brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change screen brightness: I am completely unable to change my screen brightness, either through settings or the control panel. I have tried everything the internet suggested, including community solutions, but none of them work. it began after the most recent windows update, where the change...
  9. Brightness Function Keys Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brightness Function Keys Not Working: After updating my laptop to the April 2018 update, I lost several functions to my funtion keys, which includes Ambient light, Battery settings, Project settings, Muting microphone, and most importantly the Brightness settings. How do I fix this so I can use my function keys...
  10. Unable to Change Screen Brightness of Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Change Screen Brightness of Laptop: So I'm not sure how long this has been happening but for some reason, I can't change the brightness on my laptop screen. I have linked a picture and as you can see, my brightness says 0% and that I can't change it, however my actual brightness is at 100%. I have looked around...