Windows 10: Unable to Change Startup Selection

Discus and support Unable to Change Startup Selection in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The system configuration - startup selection is set to selective startup. I didn't so this and I'm unable to change it. When I tick normal startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JamesJoey, Oct 22, 2016.

1. JamesJoey Win User

Unable to Change Startup Selection

The system configuration - startup selection is set to selective startup.
    I didn't so this and I'm unable to change it.
    When I tick normal startup and reboot it reverts back to selective startup.

Any ideas how to change this?
    James

:)

JamesJoey, Oct 22, 2016
  2. cal680 Win User

Unable to change from selective startup to normal Startup

What I mean by Lock Up is I can do nothing on the screen. Clicking on anything does nothing. Clicking on the X to close the screen does nothing. Can not roll the screen up or down. I have to go to Task Manager and close it there. It usually shows Windows
    Edge is open and I close that. Which is strange since I have not and never have used Edge, so I assume it hijacks IE-11. I guess that is Windows way of forcing us to use Edge, which I understand does not work. As for msconfig. The only thing it shows in startup
    is Avast antivirus and it always starts. In boot it shows Windows 10 OS. Nothing shows disabled. Looking at the event logger it shows allot of Service Control Manager errors, what ever that means. I also am having a problem typing. Allot of times it will not
    show the letters I click on. I have changed keyboards, but still does it. Sometimes it is fine and other times I can not type anything.

cal680, Oct 22, 2016
  3. Unable to change from selective startup to normal Startup

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that windows is unable to revert to Normal Startup from Selective startup.

To be able to assist you better, provide us a few more details on the below questions.

• What exactly do you mean by "locking up" ? Are you referring to the Lock screen which gets activated?
    • Did you check If you have disabled anything (including services) at boot?

You could check to make sure that all of your startup items are enabled. Because, if not, then under such circumstances, you will have a Selective Startup in Windows.

Write to us with the updated information. If you need further assistance, we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 22, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello James, *Smile

This is normal. It's been like this since Windows 7 at least.

As long as all items are checked under "Selective startup", it will effectively be the same as having "Normal startup" selected.

Unable to Change Startup Selection [​IMG]

Brink, Oct 22, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to Change Startup Selection - Similar Threads - Unable Change Startup

2. Unable to select option in the advanced startup settings F1-F9

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to select option in the advanced startup settings F1-F9: Hi, I have exact same problem of this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-use-7-f7-or-any-other-keys-to-choose/d2e15c04-8bf9-4a6f-8f3d-c61f46bba2ecI tried these1- changing usb port front back in all areas2- used two keyboards. Note: keyboards...
  3. Startup Selection Reverts from Normal to Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup Selection Reverts from Normal to Selective Startup: When I select "normal startup" in System Config it always reverts back to "selective startup". All the boxes in Advanced T. S.have been cleared. I have read on this forum I'm not alone with this issue and isn't really a problem. My question is if I select the " make all boot...
  4. unable to change selective startup to normal startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to change selective startup to normal startup: whenever I tried to change selective startup to normal startup. After restart again it shifted back to selective startup.what should i do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-selective-startup-to-normal/361df569-9abf-4118-a15c-fa15885b2100
  5. Changing startup selections

Changing startup selections: When I run "msconfig" without administrator privileges, the "selective startup" option is chosen, and "Load system services" and "Load system items" boxes are ticked. Whenever I try to change any options, it would revert when I close the window and run it again. When I run it...
  6. Account selection at startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Account selection at startup: I have a fresh install of windows 10 and 2 accounts with admin privilege and no password for both. When I start or reboot the computer, it automatically logins to the last account I was using before the reboot or shutdown. How do I make it so that when I reboot or startup...
  7. Help with changes in MSCONFIG Selective Startup

Help with changes in MSCONFIG Selective Startup: I went into MSCONFIG - changed to Selective Startup in System Configuration. Now I am trying to change back to Normal- the apply button wont highlight for use [IMG]...
  8. Stuck in Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck in Selective Startup: (Moved from EightForums, where I posted in error.) I was instructed to use Selective Startup to get Quicken installed (didn't work), and now I can't get out! This is a laptop that has been stuck with the Microsoft account login (cannot fix it as other options are grayed...
  9. MSConfig & Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    MSConfig & Selective Startup: So msconfig is driving me nuts as whenever i just click normal or diagonstic boot it reverts to selective startup. I had this issue in Windows 7 and i fixed it somehow. Any help? 9138
  10. startup selective not normal.

in Windows 10 Support
    startup selective not normal.: My startup always returns to selective, i don't know why. 44150