Windows 10: Unable to check for updates in Windows Store

Discus and support Unable to check for updates in Windows Store in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all! I am on my sister's computer doing my routine check on it, and its having issues checking for updates in the Windows Store. The wheel on "Check... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jesse Williams, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Unable to check for updates in Windows Store

Hi all! I am on my sister's computer doing my routine check on it, and its having issues checking for updates in the Windows Store. The wheel on "Check for updates" just keeps spinning and doesn't stop.

Specs: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586, Acer Aspire 5749Z, 64-bit, Intel Pentium.

I hope those specs are enough information for whoever knows how to fix this issue.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

:)

Jesse Williams, Jun 15, 2016
  2. Ronaldjw Win User

Unable to check for updates in windows 10

Windows defender updates wont appear in the update list. your winidows should .82 now and windows defender 1.227.620.0. you can keep your old antivirus and just use defender as a scanner.

Other Option.

The history is not related to the current system status. To check whether Windows is up-to-date, we can have a check with Windows Update.

Also, please understand the information of Windows Update history is in a file and if you would like to delete it, all the update history, not just the installation failures will be removed.

To clear the Windows Update history, please follow the steps below: Does Not remove installed updates only history.

1. Open command prompt:

1) Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2) In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.

3) When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.

2. At the command prompt, type “net stop WuAuServ” (without quotations) and press Enter.

3. Click Start, type “%windir%” (without quotations) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

4. In the opened folder, look for the folder named “SoftwareDistribution” and open it.

5. Double click the DataStore folder and locate the DataStore.edb file. Right-click on the file, select “Rename” and type “DataStoreold” (without quotations) to rename this file.

6. Open command prompt, type in the command “net start WuAuServ” (without quotations) and press Enter to restart the Automatic Updates service.

Then check if the updates failure history is cleared. This does not remove installed updates.

It will also reset windows update by restarting it.

Run the windows update tool and apply the fixes

Ronaldjw, Jun 15, 2016
  3. Unable to check for updates in windows 10

I recently upgraded from Windows 10 10586 to Windows 10 14393 (aka Anniversary update). I am not running the insider builds. Currently I am on Version 1607(OS Build 14393.0). On checking for updates I keep on getting the error that "We couldn't connect to
    the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet". I tried to fix the above problem with the common solutions found around the community.

1. Checked the internet: I checked if it was my internet connection, tried playing videos on YouTube and did a bit of browsing. They all seemed to work fine. Tried to check for updates after closing all the tabs as well. Got the same error.

2. Used the windows update diagnostic: I tried the windows update fixit. It showed the following to fixes every time without actually fixing anything. I restarted my laptop after this and checked for update again. Didn't help.

Unable to check for updates in Windows Store [​IMG]

3. Restarted the windows update service.

I had faced the same problem some time back with Windows 10 10240. Back then the windows diagnostic software seemed to fix the problem.

Regards,

Arkoprabho

Arkoprabho Chakraborti, Jun 15, 2016
  4. Unable to check for updates in Windows Store

Am not at my PC to check but has this always been an issue. It could be a temporary thing and MS servers glitching and worth trying later. I am in the UK but a few hours ago I did the check and it cycled through ok, there were none to offer at the time

Scottyboy99, Jun 15, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 15, 2016
  6. I should of added it could also be the Windows main updates under settings may be checking for updates at the same time. I have noticed that can slow the store updates process down if the two try to run concurrently. Might be worth checking that to see what it's doing

7. I generally check for System Updates before I check for App Updates. But everything is set to Automatic as its supposed to be. I don't know or don't think they are running concurrently. It did this yesterday as well. Shawn, I have already reset the Store cache and that didn't fix it. I remember when either an app or the Store messed up a while back, and I had to run a fix through PowerShell. May have to do that again.

8. Unable to check for updates in Windows Store

Unfortunately it's working for me, just checked. But server issues can be region specific (I'm near London in UK). Seems strange store opens ok, presume you can flick between the apps screens. But update check stalls. Normally when store goes belly up its all or nothing. Shawn dwarfs my knowledge so he is much better placed to comment on your question about powershell, all I will say is due to Windows 10 unpredictability it may be worth taking a system image and a restore point first before running something like this

9. Thanks! I will wait for Shawn to reply back. If he can't figure it out, I will do a System Restore or a System Image.

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 15, 2016
  11. Jesse Williams, Jun 15, 2016
  12. Daz1967 Win User
    Does the PC have an NVIDIA graphics card that is using driver v368.xx (e.g. 368.22 or 368.39)?

I ask only because I see this exact same behaviour on my PC, as well as a couple of other issues too such as the "stub received bad data", but only when using the 368 driver branch. If I install v365.19, which I am using now, then all the issues go away and the Windows Store updates apps normally.

I have reported the issue to NVIDIA and they are aware of them. This is my post here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...97355/#4897355

Apologies if this is not your issue but I thought I'd mention it on the off chance that it might help.

Daz1967, Jun 16, 2016
  13. Unable to check for updates in Windows Store

And that is why I never update my gpu drivers unless I absolutely have to (still on a 355 branch driver that seems to work great). Good work linking the two - as you mentioned in your post most people would not begin to suspect gpu drivers for blocking those services. Shocking show from nvidia. As there were 23 pages I didn't read much more but have nvidia acknowledged the issue? Their driver updates seem to be real Russian roulette judging by the amount of posts on that forum whenever a driver update comes out. I'd be very interested to see if the OP does have the 368 driver.

Scottyboy99, Jun 16, 2016
  14. Daz1967 Win User
    @ Scottyboy99 - Yes, ManuelG of the GeForce.com forum has told me that they have received my driver feedback detailing the issues in the linked forum. Someone, who has one of the same issues as me (the stub error), has told me that they have managed to replicate the issue but that may only be one them. This also may not be the issue that the opening poster is experiencing but I thought I'd mention it anyway in case it is.

Daz1967, Jun 17, 2016
  15. It is really interesting that you bring this up. We had a laptop that I ended up sending back to the manufacturer. Terrible issues checking store updates, bringing up cortana news feed, logging into apps related to MS account such as photos, films/tv, weather for all users, child accounts unable to use edge. It would eventually all work after thirty mins or so and then be totally fine for the next 24 hours (even after reboots) but then it would happen again. Task scheduler was scrutinised and start up items cut back on but could never resolve. But it had nvidia Optimus, I can't for life of me remember the driver branch - I bet the nvidia driver was to blame though but it never occurred to us to update the driver as gpu related activities such as games and video was all spot on. Guess we will never know on this though but it would of solved many headaches and weeks and weeks of frustration before we eventually gave up

Scottyboy99, Jun 17, 2016
Thema:

Unable to check for updates in Windows Store

1. Unable to check for updates in Windows Store - Similar Threads - Unable check updates

2. Unable to Update Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Update Microsoft Store: I fresh installed Windows 10 today on November 10th 2023 after changing my internal hard drive with a new ssd and everything went smooth after the installation except the Microsoft Store app which is showing an older version and refused to update when clicking the download...
  3. Unable to Update Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Update Microsoft Store: I fresh installed Windows 10 today on November 10th 2023 after changing my internal hard drive with a new ssd and everything went smooth after the installation except the Microsoft Store app which is showing an older version and refused to update when clicking the download...
  4. Are all windows store apps updates are checked before available to windows store?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Are all windows store apps updates are checked before available to windows store?: I read that when a developer an app to windows store it is being checked and scan. I found this here . I do some doubt so I want to ask if the Microsoft Team checks the app updates before making it available? To expound. A rouge dev can submit a proper and honest app to get...
  5. unable to check update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unable to check update: [ATTACH]Please Heip me . when i am checkig for update it show error "0x80240fff". please tell me what i do now ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-check-update/76943725-d412-4de3-881e-efd49c4cfd4b
  6. Unable to check for Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to check for Windows Updates: I was checking for updates as I'm part of the Windows Insiders program and it says checking for updates, but after a few minutes it says "Error Occured: An update is being prepaired for your device, but it's not quite ready yet. We'll keep trying or you can try again now"...
  7. Microsoft Store can't check for updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Store can't check for updates: This issue is very annoying. I tried to reset the store, but it didn't work.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-cant-check-for-updates/89b4ada1-e793-4515-91f8-3a91fdb51ac7
  8. Windows Store slow checking updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Store slow checking updates?: Anyone notice issues with the store tonight? I always check manually for updates and normally the cycle is a few seconds. But tonight its taking a couple minutes. I wondered if the slowness was being experienced by others? 84597
  9. Check for App Updates in Windows 10 Store

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Check for App Updates in Windows 10 Store: How to: Check for App Updates in Windows 10 Store How to Check for App Updates in Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse through, purchase, or get for free...
  10. Create Check for Updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Check for Updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Check for Updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Check for updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse...