Windows 10: Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files

Discus and support Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having problems with Windows 10 remembering recent files within the Run dialog. For example, if I press Windows key + R, and type the letter C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CaptainAmateur, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files

I'm having problems with Windows 10 remembering recent files within the Run dialog.

For example, if I press Windows key + R, and type the letter C into the dialog box, I get a list of recent files as follows:-

Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files [​IMG]

I have gone to Control Panel, File Explorer Options, and clicked on the Clear button within the Privacy section. This had no effect (even after reboot etc).

I have also deleted the contents of the following registry key:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

This seemed to clear recently run programs (I am old school and often run programs from here), but recently accessed files were still listed. Again I rebooted just in case.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

CA

:)

CaptainAmateur, Aug 9, 2017
  2. davidshen84, Aug 9, 2017
  3. File Explorer frequent items corrupt in Windows 10

I assume you tried Clear File Explorer History as well.

See if this helps --- it cleared my Quick Access Recent Files group.

• Open the Run dialog (WnKey+R)
    • Type Shell:Recent and click OK. This should open your
      Recent Items folder.
    • Right-click in the folder background and select Clear recent items list.

Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files [​IMG]

Hope this works!

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Aug 9, 2017
  4. essenbe Win User

Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files

essenbe, Aug 9, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    There's a free 3rd party app which is really good at clearing history files/temporary files/useless files etc that's sitting on your computer. It's popular and trusted. You can run it every few weeks or so to have it automatically clear up useless data sitting on your computer. It will also clear the recent file list in that picture you posted above.

Piriform - What is CCleaner?

pepanee, Aug 10, 2017
  6. Hi guys
    Thanks for your contributions.
    essenbe:
    I followed the link. The first option I had already tried (Clear File Explorer history in File Explorer Options). I also tried the batch file, which made no difference I'm afraid (I did put a pause at the end of it so I could check that all the commands ran ok. I also manually went to the file locations / registry locations to check they were empty).
    In the meantime I tried WinTools.net Professional, which didn't clear the list. I also tried R-Wipe & Clean, which also failed to clear the list.

pepanee:
    I downloaded and installed a trial of CCleaner Professional. This did the job perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

CA

CaptainAmateur, Aug 10, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    If you prefer, you can download the regular, free, version of CCleaner. It will clean your system just like the professional version would. The Professional version includes:
    • Real Time Protection: It runs all the time, which isn't really required. You're better off running the app any time that you prefer to.
    • Scheduled Cleaning: You can set it up to run on certain times
    • Automatic Updates: It's already very advanced, you can manually check every half year or so and upgrade to the next free version
    • Premium Support: I'm sure you won't need to contact them, since it's such a simple and reliable app that does everything.

I'm not saying that you should keep the free version to avoid paying for it. If you believe that it's such a great app and would like to support the developers, then yes, get the Professional version.
    Me, on the other hand, I'm cheap. But in return, I assist people who have problems with their computer. So it equals out, right? *092

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files

1. Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files - Similar Threads - Unable clear Run

2. Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history: In Windows 11 Enterprise Edition when going to:Win+EThree DotsOptionsTab "General"Section "Privacy"Button "Clear"The expectation is that using the Clear button will erase all File Explorer History. However when pressing the Clear button nothing is being erased and all files...
  3. Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history: In Windows 11 Enterprise Edition when going to:Win+EThree DotsOptionsTab "General"Section "Privacy"Button "Clear"The expectation is that using the Clear button will erase all File Explorer History. However when pressing the Clear button nothing is being erased and all files...
  4. Win10 Clear systems recently entered *FILE>DETAILS history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Clear systems recently entered *FILE>DETAILS history: ?See above, see how i start typing and other items show!how do we easilly reset/clear this so theres none to show again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-clear-systems-recently-entered-filedetails/633b850d-47e6-4198-98bd-e5c4266ba84a
  5. How to clear Run command history in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to clear Run command history in Windows 10: [ATTACH]This post will explain how to clear the Run dialog command history in Windows 10. The Run dialog box is a very powerful tool in Windows 10. You can use this utility to open your desired apps and documents directly whose path is known. All you need to type the app name...
  6. Run dialog box typed history

in Windows 10 Support
    Run dialog box typed history: Good evening, just a simple question, I use to have the history of my previous typed "cmd" in the run dialog box Can you tell me how to have back this helpful behaviour? thank you 160164
  7. Unable to clear protection history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to clear protection history: I am using Windows 10 Home build 1909 and I am unable to clear the Windows Security Protection History... I have tried... Open Event viewer and find Log "Operational" under Application and service logs / Microsoft / Windows / Windows defender Right click on it and select...
  8. Clear "Run" dialog entries?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clear "Run" dialog entries?: Does anyone know to how definitively clear the "Run" dialog box of all entries? Example: I press Win+R, then type "c" by itself, and these entries appear: https://i.imgur.com/lveQOYR.png Looking for a real way to clear them (but not disable them). The entries do NOT appear...
  9. Clear Recent Colors History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Recent Colors History in Windows 10: How to: Clear Recent Colors History in Windows 10 How to Clear Recent Colors History in Windows 10 [img] Information To change your accent color in Windows 10, you can either select from Windows colors, a custom color, or let Windows automatically pick an accent color...
  10. Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10: How to: Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10 How to Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10 Clearing File Explorer history deletes the information Windows saved about the files and folders you use as well as what you've typed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clear run dialog history windows 10