Windows 10: Unable to Clone Windows 10 HDD

Discus and support Unable to Clone Windows 10 HDD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; This thread is a continuation of another thread in BSOD. This is getting stranger and stranger. I took the SSD out of my primary PC and put it in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dlwmacgregor, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Unable to Clone Windows 10 HDD

This thread is a continuation of another thread in BSOD.

This is getting stranger and stranger.
    I took the SSD out of my primary PC and put it in my secondary Windows7 PC and cloned the OS.
    I then booted from the SSD without any problems.

Then I put the SSD back into my primary PC and booted it using my Windows 7 HDD and did a surface test on the SSD using MiniTool. No errors.

Then I cloned my Windows 10 HDD using the same MiniTool utility. No errors during the clone.
    Added an entry in my EasyBCD for the new SSD and attempted to boot from it.
    As soon as the login screen appeared it started flashing quickly. I let it do that for about 30 seconds and had to press the reset button to stop it.
    Apparently during those few seconds it marked all my internal HDDs as "dirty". Why?

This morning I tried to clone my Windows 7 HDD and it worked perfectly.
    I was able to boot from the SSD successfully.

Then I tried the same thing with my Windows 10 HDD.
    In both cases I was using Acronis and in both cases I ran it from the booted system so it rebooted into the clone software.

No errors in both cases but after completing the Windows 10 clone and rebooting, again the Login Screen would do nothing but flash over and over again AND marking all my internal HDDs as "dirty".
    I have no idea what is going on here.

:)

dlwmacgregor, Feb 4, 2017
  2. KilsonX Win User

How to migrate user accounts from old HDD to Clean Install of Windows 10?

I was unable to get a stable Upgrade install of windows 10 on my Sandisk Ultra II 240Gb Hdd, I tried cloning windows 10 to the SSD, experienced multiple errors and crashes. So I did a clean install, my question is there a way to easily migrate the users from
    my 2tb hdd to my new install of windows 10.

Thanks

KilsonX, Feb 4, 2017
  3. Cloning a dual boot Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2

Hello,

I have a 500GB HDD with Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2 running on different partitions. I am planning to upgrade the HDD to 1TB SSHD.

Will system clone, clone the various partitions on my HDD and will they be bootable?

Thanks.

Olugbengar, Feb 4, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Unable to Clone Windows 10 HDD

When a PC boots it sets the drive as dirty on shut down it clears the dirty bit if it crash's it doesn't clear it which should trigger disk check on start if you clone with it set it will give problems try deleting all partitions before you clone leaving disk blank

Samuria, Feb 4, 2017
  5. I'm sorry, but you didn't read my post correctly.
    My drives are all "clean" when I clone...I make sure of that before each attempt.
    It also doesn't answer my most pressing question, which is why does it only happen when cloning my Windows 10 HDD?
    I thank you for your input though.

dlwmacgregor, Feb 4, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Check and see if the dirty bit is set Fsutil: dirty I wonder if this does it Added an entry in my EasyBCD for the new SSD and attempted to boot from it.

Samuria, Feb 5, 2017
  7. Hello.
    Would you please use "periods" in your sentences.
    I cannot understand what you are trying to tell me because it is one long sentence.

By the way...I use CHKNTFS to check the dirty bit.

dlwmacgregor, Feb 5, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Have you tried setting Windows 10 to boot into safe mode on the HDD. While it is still booting into safe mode, clone it. Then it should boot into safe mode on the SSD. Then you can clear safe mode booting and see what happens.

NavyLCDR, Feb 5, 2017
  9. Thanks for the tip...but...why does it work when I clone my Windows 7 HDD and not my Windows 10 HDD?

10. Samuria Win User
    the differnce is Added an entry in my EasyBCD for the new SSD and attempted to boot from it.

Samuria, Feb 5, 2017
  11. Your comments gave me an idea.
    I booted into Safe Mode on both Windows 10 disks - HDD and SSD.

The HDD safe mode acted normal.
    The SSD Safe Mode gave me the Login Screen - on a blue background...not the "Mountain Lake" background I have as my default.
    Plus...once booted into the Desktop, the Start Button did nothing when I clicked it. The Search box was useless and wouldn't accept anything and every minute or so my default Browser (Firefox) came up and went to the Windows 10 Help site.
    Windows Explorer would work.
    So it looks like the Windows 10 installation got borked on the way to the SSD. Now the question is...why?

12. Samuria Win User
    Your not clear I took the SSD out of my primary PC and put it in my secondary Windows7 PC and cloned the OS.
    I then booted from the SSD without any problems.

So you booted the ssd on another pc which would change drivers activation etc?
    Then I cloned my Windows 10 HDD using the same MiniTool utility. No errors during the clone
    so you have two disk with the same signature ?

Samuria, Feb 5, 2017
  13. Unable to Clone Windows 10 HDD

I did that to determine if there was a problem with the SSD. There was not.

I have 2 PCs, 2 copies of Windows 7. One of the copies of Windows 7 was upgraded to Windows 10. I kept an image copy of that Windows 7. Cloning that one (for test purposes) works. Like I said before, Windows 7 clones and boots perfectly on my Primary PC...Windows 10 clone fails on my Primary PC.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    How much would you lose if you cloned Windows 7 and then upgraded it to Windows 10?

NavyLCDR, Feb 5, 2017
  15. If I did that as a workaround and test, it wouldn't matter, since I would still have my Windows 10 HDD.
    I see where you're going here.
    I might do that out of curiosity to see if it would boot but it would still be a mystery as to why cloning Win10 doesn't work.

If I did what you suggest, should I disconnect all other Active HDDs while upgrading or doesn't it matter?

Thema:

1. Unable to Clone Windows 10 HDD - Similar Threads - Unable Clone HDD

2. Window clone HDD To SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Window clone HDD To SSD: Hello firstly window runs on HDD after I did clone the window HDD to SSD he has done it successfully but the EFI system partition can't migrate to SSD. I want to run a complete window partition on SSD 250GB. Activated os windows10 Thank you...
  3. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  4. Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable: Hi there, I have a Windows 10 Alienware R7 desktop and I had my operating system on a SSD drive. I cloned the Windows OS to a 2TB HDD that is also in my desktop because I would like to dual boot Ubuntu and want Ubuntu to be installed on the SSD instead of Windows. The tool I...
  5. Cloning hdd ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning hdd ?: Hello I just bought a 3tb hdd and I want to move/ copy all my games from one hdd to another. So the question is is it possible to transfer just games to new hdd without re-downloading all the games. Also I plan on wiping old hdd clean for to use as another storage device on...
  6. Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable: Hi there, I have a Windows 10 Alienware R7 desktop and I had my operating system on a SSD drive. I cloned the Windows OS to a 2TB HDD that is also in my desktop because I would like to dual boot Ubuntu and want Ubuntu to be installed on the SSD instead of Windows. The tool I...
  7. Windows 10 - Delete cloned HDD partitions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Delete cloned HDD partitions.: Hi, I cloned my HDD 320gb to a 1TB new one and planned to not use the 320 again. But can't boot from this new cloned HDDinsert boot media in select boot device and press a key. So I've been trying it again, with EaseUS Todo Backup Free and same thing happens. This disk...
  8. cloning a HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cloning a HDD: I have tried the following cloning software (aomei, Marium Reflect 7; MiniTool; Easeus TODO; clonezilla. they all have one thing in common, they don't produce a bootable/recogizable drive. Any ideas on how i can resolve the replacement of my laptop HDD? Cheers/Thanks...
  9. Windows 10 Activation and cloning HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation and cloning HDD: Background: We have purchased 14 HP EliteBook 820 laptops (which come with Windows 8.1 downgraded to Win 7 preinstalled) to rollout within our company and my usual method for laptop rollouts is to setup one with our corporate apps etc, run SysPrep and then clone the hard...
  10. Cloning HDD and Win 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning HDD and Win 10: I believe I asked this before, but memory fails. I currently run 1Tb drives on my Core I7 system, and my new MB is capable of the 6Gb/S sata, but I wont get that with my current drives. Looking today, I see the WD Blue 6Gb/S sata drives are now down to around $45, I...