Windows 10: Unable to close down laptop after installation.

Discus and support Unable to close down laptop after installation. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, *ConfusedMy laptop has been running windows 7 very successfully and after being prompted numerous times to install Windows 10, I went ahead... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by davjen10, Oct 7, 2015.

1. davjen10 Win User

Unable to close down laptop after installation.

Hi there,
    *ConfusedMy laptop has been running windows 7 very successfully and after being prompted numerous times to install Windows 10, I went ahead last night. Had no problems with the installation, however, on attempting to close down, the laptop would only turn-off after closing the lid which is not a problem, but after about an hour or so, it turned on automatically again without me touching it. It looks as though it only goes into stand-by. I have not found a solution to the problem - the result is flat battery when I tried to use it today. What is the solution?

:)

davjen10, Oct 7, 2015
  2. NicolajP Win User

Error code 0xc0000017 Windows 10

Not sure tbh.

My 10 yr old son was the one using it... According to him it needed to install updates before closing down. After installing those updates I'm unable to boot the laptop.

I'll check out the article

NicolajP, Oct 7, 2015
  3. Laptop will not close down

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. What troubleshooting steps have you perform to fix the issue?

2. Does the issue occur when you open any program or pertains to a specific program?

I would suggest that you perform the methods mentioned below and check if the issue persist:

Method 1: Power troubleshooter.

• On the search bar type “Troubleshooting”
      • Click on “View All” left panel.
      • Click Power, new window will popup the follow the on screen instruction.
    Method 2: Safe Mode.

Log into safe mode open the programs, try to shut down your system and check if the issue persist. To do so follow the steps below:

• Open Run Command (Windows button +R)
    • A dialog box will open type “msconfig”
    • Locate and select the Boot tab and select Safe with Minimal as option.
    • Restart Computer
    Note: Follow the same procedure to undo Safe Mode, uncheck the Safe option and restart your system.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 7, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Hi davjen10 and welcome to Tenforums.

You might try turning off Fast Startup, and then shut the laptop down by right-clicking the Start Button and selecting Shutdown. Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

simrick, Oct 7, 2015
  5. davjen10 Win User
    Thanks for coming back.
    I tried to follow your advice when all of a sudden, MacAfee, my Internet Security came up with the message," Real Time scanning is off". As I was now not protected, having tried everything I could think of to sort out the problem without success and even unable to do a scan due to lock-up.
    I then decided to revert back to Windows 7 without a problem, now at least MacAfee is happy.

davjen10, Oct 8, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    Hi. Sorry for the delay responding.
    Third-party anti-virus programs really need to be uninstalled before upgrading to Windows 10, and then reinstalled after a successful upgrade. The upgrade process is "supposed" to do that for you, but I have always done it myself on every system I've upgraded (and I've done a dozen or more now).

If you decide to try the upgrade again, please let us know, and we'll give you some prep work to do, to make sure things go more smoothly for you.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to close down laptop after installation. - Similar Threads - Unable close down

2. unable to shut down in laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to shut down in laptop: I am unable to shut down my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-shut-down-in-laptop/3648ba25-7217-4a45-8e40-86e57a69fa0d
  3. unable to shut down in laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to shut down in laptop: I am unable to shut down my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-shut-down-in-laptop/3648ba25-7217-4a45-8e40-86e57a69fa0d
  4. Laptop shuts down after 10 minutes of being closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down after 10 minutes of being closed: Laptop shuts down after 10 minutes of being closed. I turn off my Laptop when going to sleep, and normally I wake up the the fans going wild. When I get up to see what happened, the Power / Disk light is off totally. Did I do anything wrong? Here are my sleep settings:...
  5. Laptop closed down in 1 minute

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Laptop closed down in 1 minute: Hello Please show me how to fix my laptop Acer that is using windows 10 is always closed down screen suddenly in 1 minute after turning on. Thank you for your helping!...
  6. Laptop closing down and restarting.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop closing down and restarting.: Hello, [ATTACH] I went for a period when this was not happening until now again, previously the advice posted for the same problem was like reinventing the wheel, I did nothing. What has been changed are my Power settings which I have changed again to trial My Laptop...
  7. Windows 10 installs just fine on old laptop, but won't boot after close down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installs just fine on old laptop, but won't boot after close down: I have tried to install Windows 10 on my old Asus U45jc laptop. I made a fresh install on a new ssd born with Windows 7 on the old hdd. The laptop can boot in efi-mode, but it is just an option in the bios. I have tried to install Windows 10 in both efi and legacy, and...
  8. Window 10 installs just fine on old laptop, but won't boot after close down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 installs just fine on old laptop, but won't boot after close down: I have tried to install Windows 10 on my old Asus U45jc laptop. I made a fresh install on a new ssd born with Windows 7 on the old hdd. The laptop can boot in efi-mode, but it is just an option in the bios. I have tried to install Windows 10 in both efi and legacy, and...
  9. Laptop shuts down after some time when closing lid

Laptop shuts down after some time when closing lid: hello, I have very annoying things happening with windows 10. One of the latest is that my laptop goes to sleep when closing the lid. The problem is that my power settings are set to "Do nothing" for closing lid and practically all settings regarding sleep - hibernate - shut...
  10. Closing down

Closing down: When I click close, message says 'closing down' but then clicks back on a second later. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/closing-down/cb60a79a-1a5b-4c1c-ac1c-b7e46b5cac35