Windows 10: Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service

Discus and support Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello For some months I have had a problem on my Windows 10 Pro (1607) desktop where I cannot use "Create and format hard disk partitions" Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by duckasylum, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service

Hello

For some months I have had a problem on my Windows 10 Pro (1607) desktop where I cannot use "Create and format hard disk partitions" Start Menu item, diskpart on elevated and non-elevated command prompt nor Disk Management(Local) snap-in in mmc.

Diskpart gives me "DiskPart encountered an error starting the COM services" and the other two give me the usual popup "Virtual Disk Management could not start the Virtual Disk Service (VDS) on ..." - the service is actually running.

I have tried all the suggested service startup and disable options concerning the "Remote Access Connection Manager", "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager" and "Virtual Disk Service" .

I have played around with windows firewall. I detached all non-essential hard drives and SATA cables. I even disabled USB controllers (took me 3 days to find a PS/2 adaptor for keyboard). Disabled or removed anything witch could cause an external short on possible storage devices (i.e all case USB headers).

Uninstalled all software which could somehow interact with storage on lower levels (Etcher, SDFormatter, DaemonTools, Image burning software).

I tried to follow the solution at Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service. but the VDS.log was never created in system32, nor anything appeared into event viewer.

I took three procmon captures: One with the Start Menu item, one with mmc snap-in and the final with elevated command prompt and diskpart. My untrained eye can't find anything irregular in them, tho I can say that at least the start menu item processes are a bit different compared to my 1709 laptop (virtual disk loader vs virtual disk service).

One observation I made is that no matter what of the three options I use, virtual disk management service is never triggered.

I have tried both "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk c:" to check for corruption but no dice. Also I have updated all drivers I can find for this old motherboard (mainly intel chipset)

At this point my only solution is to try a clean install, which will be a true headache. I did a test install on a fresh SSD with 1709 and on the clean system the disk management interface works as intended.

I did manage without the feature and used alternative products (for example EeasUS Partition Master works), but looks like I can't upgrade windows 10 to 1709 without getting the VDS working properly. Windows 10 upgrade gives me error code 80070032 and in the C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log I can see:

Code: 2018-01-27 01:27:30, Error WMI Helper Library: Getting WMI Uint16 property DriveLetter: unexpected VARIANT type 1 2018-01-27 01:27:30, Error Failed to read MSFT_Volume.DriveLetter, although the property exists; unexpected type? (0x8007070c) 2018-01-27 01:27:30, Error SP CSetupPlatform::Initialize: Disk provisioning is not available; hr = 0x80070032 2018-01-27 01:27:30, Error MOUPG CAutomationManager::Initialize(120): Result = 0x80070032 2018-01-27 01:27:30, Error MOUPG SetupHost: Automation initialization failed: [0x80070032][/quote]
    I might have made a wrong conclusion that VDS problem and windows 10 upgrade problem are connected but that is all I have to go on.

procmon capture links: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

I have posted this also to reddit and technet, but those post haven't given me anything useful or promising to try.

Thank you all in advance! All solutions and ideas are welcome.

:)

duckasylum, Feb 7, 2018

2. Windows 10

Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service. All previous system restores have also failed. Help?

Dennis-1948, Feb 7, 2018
  3. Virtual Disk service is unavailable (0x8078009C).

Attempted a System Image backup on newly migrated
    Windows 10 laptop. I received the following error: Virtual Disk service is unavailable (0x8078009C). I can start the service, however, I receive the same error message. Also, when I select Disk Management under the Computer Management
    window I receive the following: Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service. Suggestions kindly appreciated... thank you.

RickEvergreen, Feb 7, 2018
  4. Ztruker Win User

Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service

Try doing a Reset (Refresh actually), keeping everything. That will replace only the system components and files. It's the least intrusive method and should still resolve your problem. See Brink's tutorial for doing this:

How to Reset Windows 10

Ztruker, Feb 7, 2018
  5. This line
    • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    So basically ill have to reinstall programs and "stuff" again?

duckasylum, Feb 7, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Correct. You could as an alternative try...
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    ...which allows you to keep installed apps as well.

Your problem in doing a repair install would be that you'd need to use the install media for 1607 if you don't want to upgrade to 1709. The current ISO available from Micosoft (as described in that tutorial) is only available for the latest Fall Creators Update 1709.

If you already have the 1607 install media as an ISO or USB you could use that. If not, this 3rd-party tool can generate links to get earlier ISOs direct from Microsoft.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool

Bree, Feb 7, 2018
  7. In my book this does not constitute as a fix (as a reinstall has always been an option) but this has taken all my free time past two weeks so Ill try the in place upgrade as soon as I find a suitable disk for cloning my system for backup.

duckasylum, Feb 7, 2018
  8. Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service

ThrashZone, Feb 7, 2018
  9. Ok so I made a system clone. Trying to do a repair install with 1709 by booting from USB says that a install media upgrade is not available and I should run it from windows. If I run the installer from windows nothing happens and in setupact.log in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther I see (last rows of the whole log):

Code: 2018-02-09 00:01:26, Info Initializing diagnostics helper; data file = (NULL) 2018-02-09 00:01:26, Info No existing diagnostics data 2018-02-09 00:01:26, Info Key CollectTrace is not available. 2018-02-09 00:01:26, Warning SP CSetupPlatform::Initialize: Failed to initialize tracing 2018-02-09 00:01:26, Info There is already a running setup user mode etw session! 2018-02-09 00:01:26, Warning VdsPlatform::IsAvailable: Couldn't create VDS loader instance (0x80004002) 2018-02-09 00:01:26, Warning WMI Helper Library: Wmi::OpenNamespace: Too late to initialize COM security (0x80010119) 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Error WMI Helper Library: Getting WMI Uint16 property DriveLetter: unexpected VARIANT type 1 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Error Failed to read MSFT_Volume.DriveLetter, although the property exists; unexpected type? (0x8007070c) 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Warning SmPlatform::IsAvailable: Couldn't initialize SM API (0x8007070c) 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Error SP CSetupPlatform::Initialize: Disk provisioning is not available; hr = 0x80070032 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Error MOUPG CAutomationManager::Initialize(120): Result = 0x80070032 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Error MOUPG SetupHost: Automation initialization failed: [0x80070032] 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Error MOUPG CSetupHost::InitializeComponents(1227): Result = 0x80070032 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Error MOUPG CSetupHost::Initialize(306): Result = 0x80070032 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Info MOUPG CInstallUI::Quit: Posted MSG_INSTALLUI_FORCE_QUIT 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Info MOUPG CInstallUI::CInstallUIMessageWindow::ForceQuit 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Info MOUPG Force ending Message pump 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Info MOUPG CInstallUI::ExitInstance 2018-02-09 00:01:27, Info MOUPG **************** SetupHost Logging End ****************[/quote] So can we assume that the Virtual Disk Loader and Virtual Disk Service and upgrade failure are connected? What is a user mode etw session? Can that be the source off all evil?

duckasylum, Feb 8, 2018
  10. Berton Win User
    Whenever I have seen the "Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service" I have always gotten it to work by rebooting the computer. I've had no trouble with the Upgrades and ensuing updates since getting the computer in Oct. 2016.

Berton, Feb 8, 2018
  11. I have done countless reboots during this ordeal, so its safe to say that restarting won't help here.

duckasylum, Feb 8, 2018
  12. Ztruker Win User
    You can't do a Repair Install by booting the USB flash drive. You need to run Setup from the flash drive after inserting in from the booted Windows 10 system.

Ztruker, Feb 8, 2018
  13. Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service

... and that fails with the same errors as windows update and windows 10 update assistant. The log I posted previously complaining about not able to create VDS loader instance.

duckasylum, Feb 8, 2018
  14. After quite many hours of research on the web and trying to connect different issues relating to Virtual Disk Service I have concluded and confirmed that my problem is a bug of some sorts which dates back to the anniversary update and is commonly manifested with an error code 0x8078009C and is thrown on launching System Image Backup. As Microsoft ignores the problem on public channels I am going to throw my company's premier support contract at them concerning this issue and see if that contract is worth the hundreds of thousands we are paying them. Will not discuss it here anymore.

duckasylum, Feb 10, 2018
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Oooooh! Sound gnarly. I hope you'll follow up with whatever the outcome of your (and your company's support) adventure turns out to be. This should be very interesting for many of us members, especially the regulars. Thanks in advance.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 10, 2018
Thema:

Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service

1. Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service - Similar Threads - Unable connect Virtual

2. Virtual disk unable to connect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual disk unable to connect: Hi we are facing an issue with multiple servers within our environment where when you open up disk management you get the message 'Unable to connect to Virtual Disk service' If you start the virtual disk service it turns itself off instantly with the same timestamp in Event...
  3. Virtual disk unable to connect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual disk unable to connect: Hi we are facing an issue with multiple servers within our environment where when you open up disk management you get the message 'Unable to connect to Virtual Disk service' If you start the virtual disk service it turns itself off instantly with the same timestamp in Event...
  4. Unable to install applications, Disk Management hangs connecting to Virtual Disk Service,...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to install applications, Disk Management hangs connecting to Virtual Disk Service,...: So I have a mess of problems, although I suspect they all stem from one thing. The issues I'm facing with Windows 10 Pro 20H2 are:Application installers hang foreverGoing to Disk Management hangs connecting to the Virtual Disk ServiceWhen I try to restart my computer, it just...
  5. Unable to install applications, Disk Management hangs connecting to Virtual Disk Service,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install applications, Disk Management hangs connecting to Virtual Disk Service,...: So I have a mess of problems, although I suspect they all stem from one thing. The issues I'm facing with Windows 10 Pro 20H2 are:Application installers hang foreverGoing to Disk Management hangs connecting to the Virtual Disk ServiceWhen I try to restart my computer, it just...
  6. Unable to install applications, Disk Management hangs connecting to Virtual Disk Service,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. "Connecting to virtual disk service " longs forever

"Connecting to virtual disk service " longs forever: In the disk management, it shows a blank window saying "connecting to virtual disk service " and stucks in it. When I go to services and then try to start virtual disk manually or automatically it says "starting" and never starts. Please help me. I'm trying to allocate my new...
  8. Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service in Disk Management: I am running a Dell XPS702 with Windows 10 and recently tried to format a USB. After this operation the Disk Management system is blank and gives Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service. I have tried manually activating it using services.msc but although it starts it...
  9. Disk Management "Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service"

Disk Management "Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service": I have checked it out in Services.msc Manual, take no action, take no action. I have run sfc/scannow with no issues. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management-unable-to-connect-to-virtual-disk/4bb80116-c063-4e05-9216-3f56c4231f37
  10. Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service: I got a message Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service when I opened the Disk Management. I have Dell desktop with Windows 10 Pro installed, (version 1803, build 17134.228). Any help is appreciated...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to connect to virtual disk service

2. unable to connect o virtual disk service mmc