Windows 10: Unable to create anything but new folders in C

Discus and support Unable to create anything but new folders in C in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I recently clean installed Windows 10 Pro original on my Dell Latitude E6430. For some reason I am unable to create anything but New Folders in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lolcocks, Mar 29, 2017.

1. lolcocks Win User

Unable to create anything but new folders in C

So I recently clean installed Windows 10 Pro original on my Dell Latitude E6430.
    For some reason I am unable to create anything but New Folders in my C Drive.
    Below is the error I am getting:

Unable to create anything but new folders in C [​IMG]

Then again I tried to change my user's permission to be able to make changes into the C: drive but I get this error:

Even if I manage to set permission, I get the below error:

Please help, how come this is happening on a clean install on Windows installed not less than 7 days ago. *Sad

Thank you.

:)

lolcocks, Mar 29, 2017

2. Unable to syncrionise and create new Folders Windows Mail app

Your reply is both helpful and unhelpful. Your reply suggests a lot of messing about changing settings etc which I do not wish to do based on the fact that in the first sentence of paragraph four you have said everything. "Windows 10 does not support the
    creation of new folders".

GeoffreyStarling, Mar 29, 2017
  3. Unable to syncrionise and create new Folders Windows Mail app

Original title: Folders Windows Mail app

I have installed Windows 10 to my laptop (previously on Windows 8.1). When I go to my Windows Mail I am receiving mail OK but I have lost folders with required items in and I cannot find anyway of adding new folders.

I have looked at your questions and answers and find that most of the replies are beyond my understanding and are of no help whatsoever. I am beginning to think from all the questions on the subject that there is an underlying problem with Windows Mail in
    Windows 10.

I am now having serious doubts about installing Windows 10 on my Desktop and wonder if I should uninstall it from my Laptop as I do not feel it is living up to all the hype it has been given. Is this why it is still free!

GeoffreyStarling, Mar 29, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

If a folder is set to Trusted Installer, you cannot change them without doing a little bit if work. If you want to create folder, you have to use the My Documents Folder to put them in there.

What are you trying change folder settings for and what items are you trying to delete?

bro67, Mar 29, 2017
  5. lolcocks Win User
    But why did this happen?
    I connected my laptop the college's network once, is that what overwrote my settings?

And it's my PC, I want to make a new text document in C, I decide what to do with it.
    I am able to do it with my Windows 10 Pro PC at home easily.

lolcocks, Mar 29, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    It has always been that way since Windows 8 came out. You may own the computer, but you do not legally own the OS, since you are licensing it to use. Trusted Installer is to keep malware from taking possession of system folders. If you are connecting to your college network and not using a Domain, nothing changed anything.

You can make as many folders as you want under your user folder. You do not need to be making or changing folders and their permission for those folders handled by Windows OS. The same thing is setup with all operating systems. It is to protect the OS from the end user's bad habits.

bro67, Mar 29, 2017
  7. lolcocks Win User
    You didn't answer my question properly.
    I said I am able to all this in my home PC but not on my laptop.
    Both are using the same edition of Windows.
    And I am damn sure what you mentioned is incorrect because I have about 30 laptops in my office and it works fine on all of them.

Why is it only not working on one particular laptop?

lolcocks, Mar 29, 2017
  8. Winuser Win User

bro67 did answer your question. Your trying to save a text file to a protected folder. If you want users to help, you need to change your attitude.

Winuser, Mar 29, 2017
  9. Pyprohly Win User
    bro67 did answer your question. I read Lolcock’s response and that was the exact same impression I got: the question wasn’t answered properly. “You’re trying to save a file to a protected folder” doesn’t explain anything.

If we took the same steps you did we’d all get the same error. Just checking now, security on C drive has been this way since Windows 7, and possibly even Vista but not earlier than that because what you’re seeing is an effect of a security feature that was introduced in Vista known as “mandatory integrity levels”.

C drive has a high mandatory integrity label. What this means for users is that we cannot write new files directly to the root of C drive without administrative privileges even if the permissions would allow us to do so with lower access, but the fact that that “privilege is not held” error occurs is a bit of a bug on Explorer’s part: if a higher integrity label is set up a particular way, Explorer may choke and throw that error. Unfortunately it just so happens by coincidence that C drive is set up this way.

You can view a file system object’s integrity level with Icacls.
    Code: C:\Users\>icacls C:\ C:\ NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated UsersUnable to create anything but new folders in C :(S,AD) NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated UsersUnable to create anything but new folders in C :(OI)(CI)(IO)(M) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMUnable to create anything but new folders in C :(OI)(CI)(F) BUILTIN\AdministratorsUnable to create anything but new folders in C :(OI)(CI)(F) BUILTIN\UsersUnable to create anything but new folders in C :(OI)(CI)(RX) Mandatory Label\High Mandatory LevelUnable to create anything but new folders in C :(OI)(NP)(IO)(NW) Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files C:\Users\>[/quote] You can also set the integrity label using this tool, but it’s limited and I find Icacls a very unstable tool.

The integrity level can be removed with Chml.
    Code: chml C:\ -rl[/quote] But I don’t recommend doing this on a location such as C:\.

Instead of the “Error 0x80070522: A required privilege is not held by the client” error message, this is what Explorer should have said as is the case with most other mandatory integrity label configurations.

Pyprohly, Mar 29, 2017
  10. lolcocks Win User
    Huh? Why?
    I simply stated a few things, I didn't use any curse words or anything.
    Seriously, people on the internet....too fragile.

Anyways, back on topic.

You can also set the integrity label using this tool, but it’s limited and I find Icacls a very unstable tool.

The integrity level can be removed with Chml.
    Code: chml C:\ -rl[/quote] But I don’t recommend doing this on a location such as C:\.

Instead of the “Error 0x80070522: A required privilege is not held by the client” error message, this is what Explorer should have said as is the case with most other mandatory integrity label configurations.

[/quote]

Hmmm, you answer has convinced me a lot and explained a lot of thing but there is still one thing I didn't get.

If this has been around since Windows 7, how come some of the PCs I have used before, if I Right Click on C drive -> New -> I can see the whole list, not just folder.
    And these PCs I have used are everyday computers used by average non-geek people. They don't even know how to enable that list by taking permission.

Did the edition of Windows they installed, already come with the security options disabled?

Thank you.

lolcocks, Mar 29, 2017
  11. Pyprohly Win User
    I explain in depth what determines this populated list in this thread. If your context menu’s New list is populated with file items then your user account must have been given full write permissions to that location. The supposition of “average non-geek” people as a reason for their inability to alter permissions doesn’t negate the possibility that they’ve managed to do so. It’s not too hard.

Absolutely not. All permissions settings start out the same.

Pyprohly, Mar 29, 2017
  12. lolcocks Win User
    Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for! *Smile
    +rep

lolcocks, Mar 29, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

I responded why you cannot change on that computer, because of the way that Microsoft has made those folders to protect them from malware. As for the other computer, check the updates and that and they may be both different. Especially if you have not done a clean install on the other.

bro67, Mar 30, 2017
  14. pparks1 Win User
Thema:

1. Unable to create anything but new folders in C - Similar Threads - Unable create anything

2. unable to create new folder in docs, downloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to create new folder in docs, downloads: can not create new folder in docs downloads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-create-new-folder-in-docs-downloads/b4ea2296-748e-4083-a363-f72a36911a47
  3. Unable to create new folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create new folder in Windows 10: Hi Community,I am using windows 21H2 version and not able to create a new folder anywhere.Have tried few troubleshooting - SFC /scannow - No luckDisabled services from msconfig - still nothing.Checked write, modify, etc. permissions from...
  4. Unable to create new folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to create new folder: Unable to create a new folder in Windows 10, 64 bit. When I right click on "New" the flag shows "empty". I have seen other similar questions. Is this a generic MS fault?...
  5. Unable to Create New Folder

Unable to Create New Folder: Hello, I am not able to create a new folder in Windows 10. I have tried with basic regedit stuff but unfortunately, that didn't work for me. KINDLY HELP !...
  6. I am unable to create new folders

I am unable to create new folders: I can right-click to pull up the "New" list, and it does appear, but "New Folder" is missing from the list. Ctrl-Shift-N does nothing The "New Folder" button on the Home menu in File Explorer does nothing. I have tried several fixes that have been suggested elsewhere,...
  7. Unable to create a new folder

Unable to create a new folder: If you don't want to modify the Registry and want a ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and then run the extracted .REG file: Download Registry Script to Restore "New" Option in Windows Context Menu It'll ask...
  8. Unable to create new folder

Unable to create new folder: Hi... I'm unable to create new folder or new file by any method such as right mouse click or new folder option in the ribbon and quick access toolbar. I can only do it by typing commands in cmd or pwsh. Also, new option doesn't show up by right clicking of mouse. Below is...
  9. Unable to create a new file or folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to create a new file or folder: I cannot create a new file because my computer freezes when I hover a cursor on the word “new” that is on the right click menu. I’ve had this problem since the last Windows update...
  10. unable to create new folder anywhere

in Windows 10 Support
    unable to create new folder anywhere: Hello Lately I have been facing this problem of not being able to create new folder. The "New" option in the right click is missing and I am not able to create anything new. Please somebody help me. 38995