Windows 10: Unable to create dualboot or boot an OS from partition

Discus and support Unable to create dualboot or boot an OS from partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Alright, strange title, I know. The reason I ask this is because for the past week I'm trying to get a dual boot arch linux/windows 10 on my PC. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by chaoskie, Jul 21, 2016.

1. chaoskie Win User

Unable to create dualboot or boot an OS from partition

Alright, strange title, I know.
    The reason I ask this is because for the past week I'm trying to get a dual boot arch linux/windows 10 on my PC. I have made plenty of dual boots before but never encoutered such difficulties doing so.
    A quick set-up of what I have inside my laptop next to the basic information on my profile: Medion laptop with 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX950M and an intel i7, 8GB RAM. The HDD contains the back-up etc. SSD is clean, I made a new install to create room, programms are installed on a different partition on the HDD to keep de SSD 'clean' and fast.
    I'll describe some of the things I tried here and the problems I encountered with that: 1. Tried to make a dual boot by freeing memory and create second partition on my SSD; Windows repsonded with an error, I could not create a 30GB partition uit of de SSD which had over 50GB free memory.

• Downloaded a 3th party program (AOMEI) which created partition on boot sequence, partition made, linux install done, no question about OS, just booted straight into windows, shift-boot didn't work either. I checked fast-boot and boot-method, legacy is supported by default, so no problems there, bootloader should have been replaced during linux install.
    • Wiped the linux install, merged the partition with AOMEI and decided to use an external SSD to boot windows from (and then just use my pc as single boot llinux). Made the install on windows with WinToUSB, didn't work, during startup it didn't find the disk, fixed that, during boot, go to BIOS, switched some settings, save and restart and straight back into BIOS so all boot methods get ulocked, set the SSD as first boot and the internal SSD as second, boot up, and disk gave an error it could not be accessed. (error_unaccesible_disk). Failed again. Plugged disk out, reboot, error: NO_OS_FOUND>> rearranged boot sequence.
    • Wiped external SSD again, Downloaded a full version of AOMEI, and copied entire C-drive onto the external drive, reboot, nothing happened (changed the boot order again, still nothing). So again, disk wiped.
    • used Gimagex.exe 64x version to use the recover install.wim and install the OS onto the disk, then set the disk partition as active and then copy the boot files onto it. But my pc denies the option to set the partition as active...

So what I would like is to have a solution on installing the windows 10 image on an external disk and then boot from that disk. (The reason I want winows is because we use a lot of MS development tools at school, the adobe package and I play a fair amount of games that are not available to linux. I can deal with reduced preformance by using the 3.0 1TB external SSD. ) Does anyone have a clue of how I could fix this or ihave another suggestion of what I could do/try to make this set-up work?
    Thanks in advance!

:)

chaoskie, Jul 21, 2016

2. OS gives an BOOT error or some other serious problem and EMS

OMG I JUST SAID A FEW POSTS UP "if so how would i be able to add Phoenix OS to the boot manager config in windows 10 UEFI" SO OBVIOSLY I HAVE THE DUAL BOOT FILES SITTING ON MY LAPTOP HDD IN ANOTHER PARTITION BUT IT IS NOT CURRENTLY SET UP FOR DUALBOOTING
    AS WITH EVERY TIME U INSTALL OR REINSTALL AN OS (MAINLY WINDOWS) THE BCD RESETS AND ERASES ALL INFORMATION AND REPLACES IT WITH THE OS UR INSTALLING'S INFO, WHEN I WAS IN WINDOWS 7 EVERY TIME I RESET MY PC TO FACTORY STATE I HAD TO REINSTALL THE OS (run the
    phoenix 1.7.0 beta.exe) JUST TO GET IT TO DUAL BOOT AGAIN, BASICALLY IT IS LIKE THIS

INSTALL NEW WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

REINSTALL WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

DOWNGRADE WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

UPGRADE WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

REASON Y? THE BCD IS EDITED WHILE INSTALLING AN OS AND DEPENDING ON THE OS INSTALL SETTINGS IF IT HAS ANY, IT EITHER INSTALLS AS DUALBOOT WITH A SPECIFIC OS, EG DUALBOOT WINDOWS 10 AND WINDOWS 7, DUALBOOT WITH UR EXISTING OS('S), OR ONLY LAUNCH THE OS ITSELF
    (eg upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 and u will loose ur dualboot config and nolonger be able to dual boot until u rerun the installer u used to install the dualboot os wich i have not done yet)

MatthewGood, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 is not working properly with dedicated gpu

There's one thing you can try, which is a temporarily dual boot. So you need to create a new partition, 32gb will do (32768 mb). Make sure you give it a name so you don't install the dualboot on the wrong partition! Then open the file from my previouse post
    and create a windows media. Turn off your computer

and boot it from the usb stick or cd. Then hit the install button, I accept and select the partition you just made. You should know which one by the name. Then install windows on that, and check if you lost the things you paid for / don't want to reïnstall
    because it takes long or other reasons. If you lost it, you need to boot into the windows 10 you usually have. Hit win + R and type msconfig. Go to bootconfiguration and click on the os that doesn't say current os, hit delete. If you still have everything,
    you need to boot into the windows 10 you just installed, and do the same things. A easy way to find which os you use is the start menu. If you click on start menu and have to click all apps you have the new installation, if you don't have to click that you
    use the old installation.

There's a chance you still have your things, but I'm not sure, so you need to do this to find out.

Nick de Bruin, Jul 21, 2016
Thema:

Unable to create dualboot or boot an OS from partition

1. Unable to create dualboot or boot an OS from partition - Similar Threads - Unable create dualboot

2. Rebuild Windows boot partition and keep system partition on GPT dualboot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rebuild Windows boot partition and keep system partition on GPT dualboot system: Hi everyone!Well, here is the problem: after a partition manager crash, I have to rebuild all my partition system. I have now my linux system 2 partitions, an EFI partition on which one is installed rEFInd bootloader, and a Windows System partition, with all my program files...
  3. How to make partitons accessible from both OS [dualboot]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make partitons accessible from both OS [dualboot]: As the title says , I currently have Windows 10 as well as Elementary os installed in my laptop . Is there any way that i can access my partitions that are made from windows 10 and use to read and write data in Elementary os . submitted by /u/4ROHIT7 [link] [comments]...
  4. Unable to boot the OS from disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot the OS from disk: Error message: An operating system wasn't foind. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-boot-the-os-from-disk/9f7af94c-0a17-4cfc-a13b-b03fa0fda026
  5. Dualboot - problems with booting

Dualboot - problems with booting: Hello, some weeks ago I uninstalled Ubuntu. I had Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 20.04 / dualboot. Today I found if I start laptop, I still see Windows Boot Manager and ubuntu in boot menu. How can I delete ubuntu there please? See attachment...
  6. Identifying Dualboot Partitions in Disk Management

Identifying Dualboot Partitions in Disk Management: [ATTACH] Hi everyone! I used to have a Dualboot PC, with two similar copies of Windows 10. Image #1 became unstable, so I resorted to Image #2 and formatted the partition containing #1. The EFI & Recovery partitions for Image #1 still remain in my HD & I'd like to format...
  7. Uninstalling an OS from a partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Uninstalling an OS from a partition?: Hello, My computer came with a dual boot 1 to Xubuntu and the other to Windows 10. I want to remove and uninstall the Xubuntu partition, so I looked in the Disk Management and I see that there's a 184GB, 2 500MB partitions and another that is 53GB. To remove the Ubuntu do I...
  8. Is it possible to merge the OS partition and the boot partition?

Is it possible to merge the OS partition and the boot partition?: I have 4 partitions on my HDD and am unable to download some diagnostic software due to this. I have a 500 MB reserved, OS, boot and recovery partitions. Is it possible to merge any of these partitions to make one available in Windows 10 education version?...
  9. Dualboot remove OS

Dualboot remove OS: So I have recently made a dualboot on my PC because one of the boots is a REALLY destroyed version of windows (it misses some important drivers and the registry has been infected/harmed). I then have a COMPLETELY clean version of Windows, but my C and D drive still has all...
  10. Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space: Hello, I just assembled a new PC. It has a single 4TB hard drive. During Windows 10 installation, I created a 200gb partition to install to as the C: drive. It auto partitioned my drive into a 500MB system reserved partition, my C: drive, and two unallocated spaces of...