Windows 10: Unable to create PIN to use instead of my current password

Discus and support Unable to create PIN to use instead of my current password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Unable to create PIN to use instead of my current password. Tried several times to add a PIN as per instructions but kept getting error message... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Daman16, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Daman16 Win User

Unable to create PIN to use instead of my current password

Unable to create PIN to use instead of my current password. Tried several times to add a PIN as per instructions but kept getting error message "something went wrong. Try again later". I have done the same with my laptop without any problems but first time I tried to create a PIN for my desktop (Windows 10 Home 64-bit, free upgrade from win 7 more than a moth). Your help is much appreciated.

:)

Daman16, Jun 11, 2016

2. Forgot the pin number, now cannot switch to other sign-in options

Hi William,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps

1. Click Start and click on Settings.

2. Click Accounts.

3. Click Sign-In Options.

4. Click I forgot my PIN.

5. A dialog box will open, enter in your account password (not your PIN). If you use

a Microsoft Account to create your account then that is the password you will

need to use. Otherwise this will be the password you used to create your local

account.

6. After your password is accepted you will be prompted to

create a new PIN, instead click Cancel.

7. The PIN will now be removed from the account and the PIN section within the Accounts Settings will show Add

instead of Change.

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jun 11, 2016
  3. Jeong-hun Win User
    Use password instead of PIN after three fingerprint failures?

Windows fingerprint login only gives three chances, and so far it seems there is no way to increase the number of trials. You might think three is enough, but I do not. Normally it happens like this.

I touch the fingerprint sensor without seeing the screen carefully as usual. I looked at the screen, it has not been logged in. Took 1 chance. Touch it one more time without much thinking, fails again probably for the same reason as first trial. Took 2 chances.
    I now think it is probably that my finger is wet or dirty. Or I might touched it slightly off-centre. Wipe it on my cloth and try again, fails again, and now it requires PIN.

Instead of saying "You need PIN", can I make Windows show the password input box directly so that I can start typing right after? PIN is just another password to remember. I want to use password instead of PIN. Currently, I have to click another method and
    choose password, which is cumbersome.

Jeong-hun, Jun 11, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

As I understand it one has to be logged onto the computer using the Microsoft account password and connected to the Internet before a PIN number can be assigned, least-ways that's how it worked for me.

Berton, Jun 11, 2016
  5. Daman16 Win User
    Thanks Berton,
    My password account is shown in Settings as "Local Account Administrator". Exactly like the one in my laptop. Is this different? It is connected to Internet.

Daman16, Jun 11, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    I have both a Microsoft Account [using my Hotmail E-Mail address] and a Local Account. Both have Administrative Rights. There's some things I can't do involving Microsoft using my Local Account so I have to switch over to my Microsoft Account.

Berton, Jun 11, 2016
  7. Daman16 Win User
    I have created a Microsoft account but still won't let me set up a PIN for some reason. Any other ideas ?

Daman16, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to create PIN to use instead of my current password - Similar Threads - Unable create PIN

2. Disable password and use PIN instead

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Disable password and use PIN instead: Hello,On this documentation page it's explained why Windows Hello PIN is more secure than regular Microsoft Account password. I understand the security reasons and would like to act on this advice, so I set up Windows Hello. Unfortunately, this only created a second way to...
  3. Disable password and use PIN instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable password and use PIN instead: Hello,On this documentation page it's explained why Windows Hello PIN is more secure than regular Microsoft Account password. I understand the security reasons and would like to act on this advice, so I set up Windows Hello. Unfortunately, this only created a second way to...
  4. Disable password and use PIN instead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Use Password Instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...
  6. Use Password Instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...
  7. Use Password Instead of PIN

8. use password instead of pin?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    use password instead of pin?: hey, i have reinstalled windows on my sys and now instead of a password it asks me to set a pin for login?is there a way i can disable the pin and use password as a login method?piyushagarwal3...
  9. PIN instead of my Password?

PIN instead of my Password?: Please help, My laptop got updated and now I have to use a PIN to log into my computer, but I would rather use my Password instead of this new PIN. Is there a way to change that back? I've looked everywhere and I can't see to find anything that gives me this option. Natalie...
  10. Use PIN instead of Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Use PIN instead of Password: I have two MS accounts. One is password/PIN protected and is Administrator also. The other frequently used is only Password protected. I tried to give a PIN which is not accepted. * Moved from MSN [Original Title: PIN INSTEAD PW]...