Windows 10: Unable To Create User Accounts - Windows 10

Discus and support Unable To Create User Accounts - Windows 10 in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have upgraded a W7 OS to a W10 OS. One of my Administrator User Accounts was changed to ‘Temporary’. I deleted the Account since I lost the desktop... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by barkerend, Sep 5, 2015.

1. barkerend Win User

Unable To Create User Accounts - Windows 10

I have upgraded a W7 OS to a W10 OS. One of my Administrator User Accounts was changed to ‘Temporary’. I deleted the Account since I lost the desktop and settings every time I logged off. I cannot create any other User Accounts. I open the ‘Add A User Account’ page then go to ‘Family and Other Users’. There are clickable links to ‘Sign in with Microsoft account’ and ‘+ Add someone else to this PC’. The links do not work and do not take me anywhere – so I am unable to proceed. Any advice will be welcome, thanks, Mike

:)

barkerend, Sep 5, 2015

2. unable to create new user accounts in Windows 10 Pro

I have tried above instruction still i m facing same problem

I have create one new user but while login i m getting error your user service filed to sing in

kindly help me to resolve this problem

RajasundarSundar, Sep 5, 2015
  3. unable to create new user accounts in Windows 10 Pro

Where do I find this default folder?

SrihariSaddapalli, Sep 5, 2015
  4. marshian Win User

I am having *exactly* the same problem - Something (don't know what) went weird with my main admin account (only had one account) and so signed in as Built In Admin and deleted other account. Now unable to add another user - am close to rebuilding from scratch - which would be disappointing.

marshian, Sep 6, 2015
  5. werby Win User
    Disconnect internet, unplug or switch it off.
    Then try "Add someone else to this PC" again.*Smile This is the simple way..

The other way (w/o disconnect internet) is, on first given dialogue go to bottom and choose "The person....doesn't have an email address" and on the next dialogue choose "Add a user without a microsoft account"

P S: Microsoft almost forces you (especially novice or average users) to have a Microsoft account.

werby, Sep 6, 2015
  6. marshian Win User
    I have found the answer - Do Windows + R (that's the Windows button and then "r") and then type in "netplwiz" you can then add a user, change their privileges and away you go...

marshian, Sep 6, 2015
  7. barkerend Win User
    Thanks for the comments. I’ve just tried "netplwiz" in the Run box and it gave me an option to use a password for the existing, single Administrator Account. I declined that. Is it possible that the hectoring Microsoft demands a password for at least one (or all) User Accounts? I am still unable to create any more. Incidentally, I multi-boot and have 2 Windows 7 Pro OS’s on other partitions but re-booting into Windows 10 makes no difference to the problem.

barkerend, Sep 6, 2015
  8. barkerend Win User

I don’t know if this addition to my original thread will push it to the top of the queue. I have tried again by pasting netplwiz into the Run box as suggested by marshian. Yesterday I managed to create another User Account which although described as an Administrator Account indicates ‘This app can’t open’ for every single item. Can anybody please suggest how I can change this situation? Today I did the same thing again but find that I CAN open the various programs on that Account – although the Account is listed under a Users Group not Administrators Users.
    There is also a Guest Account listed but as yet I haven’t been able to get into that since it does not appear for the next Log On when I click my Log Off or Switch Users shortcuts.
    I will be grateful for any advice, Thanks ........

barkerend, Sep 10, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Can you "Run as administrator" a command prompt? Or right click on the Windows start button and select Command Prompt (Admin). With the elevated command prompt open type "net localgroup administrators" without the quotes

What does that command return?

Actually - you don't even need an elevated command prompt - it works from just a normal command prompt (but I am logged in as an administrator so don't know if that makes a difference).

NavyLCDR, Sep 10, 2015
  10. barkerend Win User
    ........ thanks: yes, "Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain"

barkerend, Sep 11, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    And what users are listed in the Administrators group?

NavyLCDR, Sep 11, 2015
  12. barkerend Win User
    I cannot now repeat the exercise: the Command Prompt screen says < 'Run' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file >. I cannot remember who was listed in the Administrators Group (nor can I find the details again) but I recollect that the list was not complete. When I am on a Windows 7 OS (2 in adjacent partitions) I can look into the Users folder of the Windows 10 and note that some Accounts are missing and some mis-named. That is usual on W7 when alterations lead to losses.

barkerend, Sep 12, 2015
  13. phineas Win User

I'm having the exact same problems the OP is having. Your check for administrator accounts confirmed for me what I suspected: My account (though listed in Settings and User Accounts as "Administrator") is munged in some way that gives it partial admin functions -- and it won't let me create new accounts. The answer to your question looks like this:

Administrator
    User Name
    The command completed successfully.

In other words: No administrator accounts.

phineas, Sep 12, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, actually that is showing that you have two administrator accounts. One account is name Administrator - and that is the default built in Administrator account that is normally disabled. The second administrator account is "User Name". I'll bet that one got created by accident, but it appears to be an administrator account.

If you right click on the Windows Start icon, select shut down or sign out, then sign out, how many users are shown on the lower left corner of the lock screen? If "User Name" is one of them there, try clicking on that and logging in without a password.

NavyLCDR, Sep 12, 2015
  15. phineas Win User
    I really appreciate the advice. I had come across the "User Name" account referenced in the Registry, but it was not visible or accessible in any other way. I certainly did not create it or make changes to it. And the "Administrator" account was the backup administrator account in every version of Windows since Vista. To make a long story short, I've solved my problem. It started with the failure of the Start menu to open and Cortana and the search bar to accept input. Then it progressed to my main user account switching from Administrator to Standard, whereupon I could not create a new account (the options to do so were either nonfunctional or invisible), although I was able to delete accounts. Go figure. I believe all of this to be the result of a failed Windows 10 upgrade of a Windows 8.1 installation. Windows 10's backup administrator account was useless in this setting. Each time it loaded it went into a long diagnostic process concluding with a message to the effect of "the Start menu and Cortana are broken. Click OK to sign out." Safe boot (a.k.a. safe mode) was even worse — it locked me in an endless loop until I figured a way out.

What finally did the trick for me was the "Reset" option that saves your data (what Microsoft used to call a "Refresh") while reinstalling Windows 10. That not only solved all the problems I described, it also significantly improved performance. It also dropped several hardware-based features provided by my OEM PC maker, such as fingerprint scanning and so forth, along with every other application I had installed. I will slowly add back the stuff that matters most to me because there's a good chance that one of those applications or drivers was the bone Windows 10 choked on. Thanks for your help. For now, I am all set.

phineas, Sep 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Unable To Create User Accounts - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable Create User

2. unable to log in after creating new user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to log in after creating new user account: I bought a new computer running Windows 11 for my son. I set up an admin account for myself which worked fine. I also set up Microsoft Authenticator, which seems to work OK.Then I added my son as a user. I restarted the computer to let my son log in. After clicking "Sign In"...
  3. unable to log in after creating new user account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to log in after creating new user account: I bought a new computer running Windows 11 for my son. I set up an admin account for myself which worked fine. I also set up Microsoft Authenticator, which seems to work OK.Then I added my son as a user. I restarted the computer to let my son log in. After clicking "Sign In"...
  4. Unable to create account Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to create account Windows 10: It is missing and I cant proceed. I need to create new account in the computer for my brother. I need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-create-account-windows-10/95581f37-34ba-4ca6-b0a8-6db88ea073d6
  5. Unable to create account Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create account Windows 10: It is missing and I cant proceed. I need to create new account in the computer for my brother. I need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-create-account-windows-10/95581f37-34ba-4ca6-b0a8-6db88ea073d6
  6. Unable to create account Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 laptop unable to create local account guest user

Windows 10 laptop unable to create local account guest user: Hi all, Based in UK and now use an Active Directory 'work' account to log in. Since doing this, am unable to use any local accounts. The only option showing is the AD account & "Other User". When I select "Other User" the box asks me for an email address - not user name...
  8. Unable to create new local user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to create new local user account: I'm on my Windows 10 Home PC logged in as Administrator local user and trying to create a new standard local user. I go to settings -> accounts -> other users I select "Add someone else to this PC" and it comes up with a new window headed "Local Users and Groups" telling me...
  9. Unable to creat user account

Unable to creat user account: As the Administrator I try to create a new account and I get an error as follows: Local users and groups This snapin may not be used with this version of Windows 10. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel. I did get here...
  10. Unable to Create New User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to Create New User Account: I have tried creating a new User Account but like the Start Menu, it just won't open. Anyone else had this problem? 15808