Windows 10: unable to delete a folder on a portable HDD

Discus and support unable to delete a folder on a portable HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have folder which said it deleted, but remained....it had zero size....I trid adding some sub folders in the home it may trigger a proper deletion,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by reddwarf4ever, Feb 17, 2016.

1. unable to delete a folder on a portable HDD

I have folder which said it deleted, but remained....it had zero size....I trid adding some sub folders in the home it may trigger a proper deletion, these sub folders are now behaving in the same way....I loaded up a live Linux cd, it refused to let me delete the folders as they were not empty, or so it said....
    tried the portable HDD on a laptop but after trying to delete it and changing permissions to full, it now says the lowest au folder is corrupt or unreadable......seems to be going from bad to worse...

I assume there is way to do this in DOS, but not too familiar with that....

any nd help would be appreciated...
    PS I also trid unlocked, chose delete and it said success....but still the folder(s) remain

:)

reddwarf4ever, Feb 17, 2016

2. Unable to delete a folder

Hi,

Strangely, yesterday I can't even delete the folder Resolve but today it works with the rd command in dos. Windows suprise me all the time !

Thanks

After Design, Feb 17, 2016
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Unable to delete a folder

Do you need its parent folder, C:\Users\Adrien\Videos\Resolve ? If not, have you tried deleting it?

Ken Blake, Feb 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

unable to delete a folder on a portable HDD

Hi, you could try Fileassassin (freeware).. but given you've tried a boot CD, I suspect the simplest way wll be to copy what you want off the disk and reformat it.

There's also Emco MoveonBoot (which also deletes on boot) - freeware.

Given you've tried a boot CD, it's unlikely a command prompt - from a boot CD, not from within Windows- will help.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2016
  5. thanks will try your suggestions

reddwarf4ever, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

unable to delete a folder on a portable HDD

1. unable to delete a folder on a portable HDD - Similar Threads - unable delete folder

2. Unable to delete a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete a folder: im unable to delete a folder and get this error. Even tried in safe mode but still the same results. Plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-delete-a-folder/5e1d7a8b-dffa-404c-b2df-b1bd686f15d9
  3. Portable HDD won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Portable HDD won't open: Not sure if I selected the correct Topic for this. If not, move and advise.I'm using an HP desktop, i7, 10GB mem, 2TB hdd.I also have a Buffalo portable HD, P-ZU3 2tb and a smaller HD.When I plug the portable HD into my desktop, it won't open. I has a yellow light on.When I...
  4. Portable HDD won't open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable HDD won't open: Not sure if I selected the correct Topic for this. If not, move and advise.I'm using an HP desktop, i7, 10GB mem, 2TB hdd.I also have a Buffalo portable HD, P-ZU3 2tb and a smaller HD.When I plug the portable HD into my desktop, it won't open. I has a yellow light on.When I...
  5. Portable HDD won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. folder unable to delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder unable to delete: Hi, I've been having continuous issues with deleting this blender folder. I tried deleting one of the specific subfolders that looked like it was causing the issue, but that seemingly didn't work. I attempted to change the security permissions, but it said access was denied....
  7. folder unable to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    folder unable to delete: Hi, I've been having continuous issues with deleting this blender folder. I tried deleting one of the specific subfolders that looked like it was causing the issue, but that seemingly didn't work. I attempted to change the security permissions, but it said access was denied....
  8. Unable to delete a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete a folder: I have a folder on my computer that I didn’t create. It’s in a folder that I created, and my computer tells me that I don’t have administrator permissions for it, and it won’t let me change or view the permissions. It’s status is cloud, and I can open it on the cloud but...
  9. Unable to Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to Delete a Folder: After clean installing 1803 I found that OneDrive was giving errors in Event Viewer so I decided to follow a guide which recommended uninstalling and reinstalling it. During install I decided to move the folder from c: to d:. Unfortunately this has left all the files behind...
  10. Portable HDD not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable HDD not recognized: I have 2 WD portable HDD's that are not recognized by W10. I plug them into an external Tripp-Lite USB 3.0 that I added as my PC is old and only has USB 2.0 I have never had an issue like this. I used both of these 2Tb portable HDD's for a couple years with zero...