Windows 10: Unable to delete a web link shortcut.

Discus and support Unable to delete a web link shortcut. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been deleting a bunch of onedrive data in association to my college's account, now that I have completed the course, but I'm stuck with this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BlankPC, Mar 5, 2024.

1. BlankPC Win User

Unable to delete a web link shortcut.

I've been deleting a bunch of onedrive data in association to my college's account, now that I have completed the course, but I'm stuck with this random weblink shortcut:I hope someone can help me deal with this issue.The black bar btw is for the sake of hiding the information regarding my school and student number, since it's within the explorer's URL or whatever you call it.

:)

BlankPC, Mar 5, 2024
  2. Arun B J Win User

How do you delete Excel shortcuts in Windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What exactly happens when you try to delete the shortcut?

• Are you getting any error message?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

To delete a shortcut

Right-click the shortcut that you want to delete, click
    Delete, and then click yes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Reply with necessary information and I’ll be happy to help you further

Thanks and Regards

Arun B J, Mar 5, 2024
  3. Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer

I've been having issues creating internet URL shortcuts in folders in Windows Explorer lately. This is in an office domain environment, and the folders are stored on a Windows Server 2012 R2 box. My workstation is Win10 1909 Build 18363.592.

I routinely create links in ShareFile that point to project folders there, and store that link as a Shortcut in the corresponding project file on our server. I do this by creating the SF link, copying to clipboard, then right-click in Windows Explorer > New > Shortcut > paste URL and give it a name. Then it pops up with this message:

Unable to delete a web link shortcut. 278679d1589471065t-unable-create-shortcut-internet-link-explorer-capture.jpg

I hit OK then I see this message, along with the shortcut file with a different icon. I have no idea why it thinks it already exists.

Unable to delete a web link shortcut. 278680d1589471334t-unable-create-shortcut-internet-link-explorer-capture-2.jpg

When I right-click and go to Properties of the resulting file, it says it's a "New Internet Shortcut" .url file, but there is no target listed, and double-clicking the file results in a message about "The target "" of this internet shortcut is not valid".

If I delete the shortcut, and go through the same process again, usually it will create the proper shortcut (with a Firefox-style icon) the second time, with the proper URL target. Although sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get it to "take". And once it does, double-clicking the shortcut opens Firefox (my default browser) and goes straight to the URL link. What's going on here?

Unable to delete a web link shortcut. 278681d1589471614t-unable-create-shortcut-internet-link-explorer-capture-3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Well I have no idea why this was put in Networking and Sharing. I'm trying to create a shortcut in Windows Explorer. I don't see how this relates to Networking. It must be some Windows issue and I'm trying to understand why or what is causing it.

- - - Updated - - -

So it doesn't matter what URL the shortcut points to. The first time I try to create the shortcut in any given folder, it fails as shown above in the screen shots. Then after deleting, I create it again and it will work the 2nd time around, although sometimes it takes 3 tries to make it work.

PatrickGSR94, Mar 5, 2024
  4. Sher Amo Win User

web links to desktop

Hi Terry,

In computing, a hyperlink is a reference in a document to an external piece of information. The most common usage is on the Internet to browse through web pages. To assist you with your concern, we recommend that you follow these
    steps on how to create a hyperlink on the desktop. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the blank area of the desktop and choose
      New, then select Shortcut.
    • You can type the web address in the Type the location of the item:
      box.

Unable to delete a web link shortcut. c73d30f0-831a-4f72-9588-a96daac9a9b1.png
    • Click Next.
    • You can type the name of the shortcut in the
      Type a name for this shortcut:
      box.

Unable to delete a web link shortcut. cd46f265-ff53-459d-83da-14816c2f71cf.png
    • Click Finish.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, Mar 5, 2024
Thema:

1. Unable to delete a web link shortcut. - Similar Threads - Unable delete web

2. Unable to delete a web link shortcut.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete a web link shortcut.: I've been deleting a bunch of onedrive data in association to my college's account, now that I have completed the course, but I'm stuck with this random weblink shortcut:I hope someone can help me deal with this issue.The black bar btw is for the sake of hiding the...
  3. Unable to delete a desktop shortcut, maybe a virus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete a desktop shortcut, maybe a virus?: I have a desktop shortcut that magically showed up on my desktop. I can't delete it or rename it. At first it was showing Java script URL. Nothing happens when i try to delete it. Also says that i am of this file and i can add permissions to access it. It says "Set Delivery...
  4. Problem creating and deleting some new web page shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem creating and deleting some new web page shortcuts.: I prefer old school "IE Favorites" which were Windows "Shortcuts" to web pages.The problem has been happening for months now, so it is not related to recent updates of Windows or FireFox.Win10 Home V 22H2 build 19045.2486I drag from browser address bar FireFox V108.0.2 64bit...
  5. Problem creating and deleting some new web page shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem creating and deleting some new web page shortcuts.: I prefer old school "IE Favorites" which were Windows "Shortcuts" to web pages.The problem has been happening for months now, so it is not related to recent updates of Windows or FireFox.Win10 Home V 22H2 build 19045.2486I drag from browser address bar FireFox V108.0.2 64bit...
  6. Problem creating and deleting some new web page shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer

Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer: I've been having issues creating internet URL shortcuts in folders in Windows Explorer lately. This is in an office domain environment, and the folders are stored on a Windows Server 2012 R2 box. My workstation is Win10 1909 Build 18363.592. I routinely create links in...
  8. Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop

Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop: Hi, I have a problem which seems minor but I think is major for me. I have two shortcuts of software that I have already uninstalled from my computer on my desktop. I wanted to delete them but it doesn't delete. I've tried right clicking it and delete, pressing the delete...
  9. Create a desktop shortcut to a web link with with a variable (clipboard) for easy search...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Create a desktop shortcut to a web link with with a variable (clipboard) for easy search...: I’m afraid I’ve never been much of windows user so forgive me if this is something super easy to do, but I haven’t been able to figure it out in the past hour so I‘m hopeful someone here can help. I want to do the following: Some of the website we use for work have a...
  10. Unable to open web links on Windows 10 Mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to open web links on Windows 10 Mail: The subject line pretty much says it but upon clicking any article that comes into my mail box that I wish to view I get a window that says click or tap on the link but when I do it states it cannot open the link. This only happens on Windows 10 desktop. Android phone and...