Windows 10: Unable to delete files when searching in explorer

Discus and support Unable to delete files when searching in explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I cannot seem to delete files when I'm doing a regular search in windows. I can go to any folder and delete files, but I when I see the same files in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bagel, Feb 26, 2016.

1. bagel Win User

Unable to delete files when searching in explorer

I cannot seem to delete files when I'm doing a regular search in windows. I can go to any folder and delete files, but I when I see the same files in a search result, pressing del does nothing and when I right click, I have no option to delete them like I do when I'm just viewing a folder.

Am I missing something completely obvious here? Is this really a feature or a bug or what?

:)

bagel, Feb 26, 2016

2. Unable to delete files in Explorer

While in File Explorer, click on the View Tab and then Preview Pane to toggle it on or off.

Unable to delete files when searching in explorer [​IMG]

Bruce Hagen, Feb 26, 2016
  3. MadasHell Win User
    Unable to delete files in Explorer

I cannot delete files in windows 10 file explorer because of the damn "preview pane" . I am told the file cannot be deleted because it is "in use". DUYYH!!! It's in use because it's previewing it. I can't (or don't know how to eliminate the g&&^%m preview
    pane so that I can delete a fricking file. I have to MOVE the file to desktop and then delete it from there. THIS IS NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!! I AM

MAD AS ****

MadasHell, Feb 26, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

That's the way it is on my machine, you can't delete files from search results. You can do a Delete if, let's say you want to delete duplicate songs by an artist, you open the Music folder, click Search tab at top, enter artist name in Search box, Enter. When all the songs, no matter from which subfolder, show up, Select and Delete.

mrgeek, Feb 26, 2016
  5. b1rd Win User
    Hi bagel,

I was curious, so I did some testing on my own system.

I created a Notepad file on my Desktop and used the Windows 'Search' option to find it. I was able to right-click it and delete it. However, there was a slight lag time when I did this.

When I deleted the file from the search results, I watched it leave my Desktop immediately, however the file was still showing in my search results for another couple of seconds. If I did not see the notepad file leave the Desktop, I would have assumed it had not been removed- unless I went back to confirm.

I did have the option to delete however, and you're saying that you do not, so perhaps you do have something else going on, but I wanted to bring this to your attention.

6. bagel Win User
    I realized that I can do this in most folders on this HD, but on certain ones (and their subfolders) I can't.

Now here is the strange part: when I look at the properties of the problem folder, I see read-only ticked. However, when I go into the folder, I can delete any file. But when I search within that folder, I cannot delete anything, even the same exact file I could when not searching.

When I try to untick "read only" in the properties, it starts applying it to the said folder, subfolders and files. However, when I go back to check the properties, it shows read only ticked again, so it seems like I can't turn it off. I can still delete files, but not when searching. is the folder corrupt or something?

bagel, Feb 26, 2016
  7. b1rd Win User
    Are you getting any messages at all, such as 'permission' issues? IE: Your OS is telling you that you don't have the authority to delete these files?

Have a look at the below link and see if this might be a possibility.
    How to take ownership and get full access to files and folders in Windows 10

b1rd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to delete files when searching in explorer - Similar Threads - Unable delete files

2. Unable to search .py files using search in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to search .py files using search in file explorer: Hi, I added py to list of file types searched in advanced under File tab on Indexing Options. However, when I search for specific text I know is contained in python files, they are not returned in the search results. That same text in txt files is found. Indexing was...
  3. Unable to search .py files using search in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to search .py files using search in file explorer: Hi, I added py to list of file types searched in advanced under File tab on Indexing Options. However, when I search for specific text I know is contained in python files, they are not returned in the search results. That same text in txt files is found. Indexing was...
  4. Unable to search .py files using search in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer: Hi all,I am running Win 10, 64 bit home, latest update. I have deleted a large number of files and also emptied the recycle bin. They hav e been deleted from my backup drives.However, when I run a search in File Explorer for one of those files, it shows in the search but will...
  6. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer: Hi all,I am running Win 10, 64 bit home, latest update. I have deleted a large number of files and also emptied the recycle bin. They hav e been deleted from my backup drives.However, when I run a search in File Explorer for one of those files, it shows in the search but will...
  7. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Explorer search results - Does not update (refresh) when delete a file

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer search results - Does not update (refresh) when delete a file: I saw some older posts related to this from 2016 but nothing with a solution. The problem is: I search in explorer for files (ie "*.jpg") it will give me a list of results. I delete a file from the list of results (either hitting delete key or right click and delete) and...
  9. File Explorer closes when searching for a file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer closes when searching for a file: In File Explorer, when I type an entry into the Search box, it momentarily shows results then File Explorer closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-closes-when-searching-for-a-file/2be6c0d9-16bb-479c-93ec-7f16e189223a
  10. File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search: Using Windows 10 Home. This problem only happens if I'm performing a search. If I search within a folder for say *.* and then delete a file, the list of files does not refresh. The file remains listed even though it's been deleted. If I manually refresh then the file...