Windows 10: Unable to delete Program Files (X86) folder and files

Discus and support Unable to delete Program Files (X86) folder and files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Win10 Home is regularly updated by MS. After a recent update I find I am no longer able to update or completely remove applications. An example:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cplloyd42, Oct 30, 2016.

1. cplloyd42 Win User

Unable to delete Program Files (X86) folder and files

My Win10 Home is regularly updated by MS. After a recent update I find I am no longer able to update or completely remove applications.

An example: Firstly, I am logged in as an administrator. I recently ran a program that informed me that an update was available. I opted to download and install it. When the install ran, it generated the following message:

"<filename in C:\Program Files (x86)\filename.exe>

An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory.
    MoveFile failed; code 83.
    Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Click Retry..."

I tried first running the install program as Administrator, but the same error is generated. The problem resulting from these attempts to update is that the application no longer runs, probably because some critical files have been deleted/moved/renamed pending newer versions being installed.

I then tried uninstalling the application but the same problem occurs when I run the installer. On checking the folder concerned I find that a number of files still exist. I then attempted to delete these files - the delete operation proceeded without error but the files still remain.
    On checking the security permissions on the folder I find that ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES, ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES, CREATOR OWNER, my login, Users, and TrustedInstaller did not have Full Control. I attempted to set this on these folders, and was successful for all except CREATOR OWNER, but each attempt generated an error message concerning the files in the folder. The message was:

"An error occurred while applying security information to:
    <full path name to a file that wasn't deleted>
    Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."

This occurred for each file that wasn't deleted. I then attempted to check the security permissions on some of the files that couldn't be deleted and was told:

"You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Advanced to continue." Clicking the Advanced button generates the same message but offers the Continue button to "attempt the operation with administrative privileges." Clicking that button generates the message: "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings." On the previous screen the Owner is shown as "Unable to display current owner." and the Change link just generates the "You do not have permission..." message above.

I find this situation intolerable - updates to installed applications should go through without a hiccup. At this point I am stymied. If anyone has an idea of what to do, I would appreciate your letting me know. This has occurred twice for me now, although the other time I was able to remove the install folder without a problem.

Paul.

:)

cplloyd42, Oct 30, 2016
  2. KentEnnis Win User

Program Files (x86) (x86)

I have folders for program files, program files (x86) and program files (x86) (x86). Believe the program files (x86) (x86) is based on loading an incompatible Lexmark printer software as the only folder within is Lexmark 3500-4500 series. Tried to delete
    folder but states "action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. I have uninstalled all associated printer/software from system but can't seem to delete this folder. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thx

KentEnnis, Oct 30, 2016
  3. willowess Win User
    Program files (x86) can I delete the folder to give more disc space?

New small laptop [32Gb hard drive].

Set up ready for first use.

Windows 10 is trying to update but needs more disc space. Can I delete the Program (x86) folder as the two Windows folders take up most of the disc space?

willowess, Oct 30, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Were you logged in as a standard user when you got those errors?

My account is an administrator and I can move, copy and delete files in 'Program Files (x86)' with nothing more than a 'you'll need to provide administrator permission...' prompt. Clicking 'Continue' completes the operation without further messages. I haven't needed to change any of the permissions or ownership from their defaults.

5. cplloyd42 Win User
    Thanks for getting back so quickly, Bree. I realized after posting this thread that I hadn't supplied this info - which I have now corrected.

I'm the only user on this PC and I am logged in as Administrator. Yes, I too have been getting the "need to provide administrator permission..." message up to yesterday/the day before. A large update was installed late yesterday, so I suspect something has changed to permissions with new installs. These failing updates, however, are to programs that I installed from older downloads only in the last 24 hours. I'm not game to try any other in case I kill it/them too, but since these were installs made before this update, they may go through. (Because I was able to delete fully the install folder in one case, I have been able to get a clean install of the updated app. This other one just stymies me as I can't do that here.)

Paul.

cplloyd42, Oct 30, 2016
  6. cplloyd42 Win User
    Well, out of desperation I rebooted my PC and voila! I was able to delete the install folder of the application that I could not update. I've now been successful in installing the updated version.

Whatever was causing the previous problem has me completely flummoxed.

This issue, then, has been solved and I will mark it so.

Thank you all for any efforts you made on my behalf.

Paul.

cplloyd42, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to delete Program Files (X86) folder and files - Similar Threads - Unable delete Program

2. Can't delete Wildtangent folder in the Programs Files x86

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete Wildtangent folder in the Programs Files x86: Because my HP said that it was nearly full I double checked for bloatware like istalled games etc. However I find folders in the Programs Files x86 that should have disappeared when I uninstalled the programs such as WildTangent games. It won't let me delete it because it's...
  3. Can't delete Wildtangent folder in the Programs Files x86

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete Wildtangent folder in the Programs Files x86: Because my HP said that it was nearly full I double checked for bloatware like istalled games etc. However I find folders in the Programs Files x86 that should have disappeared when I uninstalled the programs such as WildTangent games. It won't let me delete it because it's...
  4. Can't delete Wildtangent folder in the Programs Files x86

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. deleted program files x86

deleted program files x86: I deleted Program files x86 by mistake .How I can create same folder ,whenever I have tried to create same folder there is an error as this files is in use.. please help me to create the folder or restore it....
  6. “ENE” File folder in Program Files and Programs Files x86

“ENE” File folder in Program Files and Programs Files x86: This is this weird file which i dont know what it does. For Program Files x86, there is this application that doesnt even do. What does this file do?...
  7. Is it safe to delete the adobe folders located in program files and program files (x86) in...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to delete the adobe folders located in program files and program files (x86) in...: So I want to completely uninstall photoshop from my computer but I am worried that if I delete the Adobe folders from these locations my system will malfunction in some way. Am I just being paranoid? submitted by /u/josechiri707 [link] [comments]...
  8. Unable to change icons in Program Files folder, Program Files (x86) folder or folders inside

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change icons in Program Files folder, Program Files (x86) folder or folders inside: Hi! I'm Unable to change icons in Program Files folder, Program Files (x86) folder or folders inside these. I am able to change the icons in other folders. I just installed Windows 10 and made all the updates. I have only one account which is a Local Administrator Acct ....
  9. Can't delete Programs files and program files x86

Can't delete Programs files and program files x86: I am trying to change what disk i am using so i copied over the program files and program files x86 but i can't delete the old it just says file is still open but nothing else is open...
  10. Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?

in Windows 10 Support
    Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?: Hi, I was wondering how important the two mentioned folders are when installing a software. I know most programs suggest being installed to one of them, but it is really necessary? What happens if I choose another folder? I use the game client Steam for example. It...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to delete aplication files in program files

2. unable to delete file in program file (x86)