Windows 10: Unable to disable USB Selective Suspend

Discus and support Unable to disable USB Selective Suspend in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there- kind of an unusual problem. I'm having issues with a 3rd party Microsoft wireless controller receiver shutting off in game. One option I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by daksin, Mar 18, 2017.

1. daksin Win User

Unable to disable USB Selective Suspend

Hi there- kind of an unusual problem. I'm having issues with a 3rd party Microsoft wireless controller receiver shutting off in game. One option I haven't explored yet is USB selective suspend messing with its power. Unfortunately, when I go to change the advanced power settings of my power plan on the Surface Book, there's no USB power settings at all. You can see it for yourself in the screenshot here:

Unable to disable USB Selective Suspend [​IMG]

Any ideas how to access this setting and turn off USB selective suspend, or another way to turn it off without going into power plan settings?

:)

daksin, Mar 18, 2017
  2. John_334 Win User

Windows 10, unable to disable USB selective suspend

Upon upgrading to Windows 10, I have noticed that my external USB device powers off after a few minutes of inactivity.

I have researched this, and already changed the following setting:

For all 4 power plans listed on my computer, I have gone to "USB settings", and selected "disable" for "USB selective suspend setting" for both "on Battery" and "Plugged in" for all 4 power plans.

Device manager: "USB Serial Bus Controllers", I have made sure all USB items that have a "Power Management" tab are unchecked for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

The issue continues, the USB device still turns off after a few minutes of inactivity. This happens on 2 separate Windows 10 machines, and never happened on the same machine running Windows 7, before the upgrade to Windows 10.

Are there any other settings that I need to change to disable the USB selective suspend in Windows 10?

Is there a registry setting where I can simply change the timeout period to some other timeout value, i.e. 60 minutes?

John_334, Mar 18, 2017
  3. Windows 10, unable to disable USB selective suspend

Unfortunately THIS SUSPENSION problem (by the root hub itself) is a BARZTARD of a problem, for DESKTOP USERS of (any) ALL-IN-ONE MAINS POWERED ONLY - desktop devices (namely ACER brand) that "ONLY" have an external USB "keyboard & mouse".

I have had TWO ACER ASPIRE Z3-605 pc's completly die (BSoD and BLACK screens too - until the eventually fully turned OFF all USB ports

THAT MEANT _ ALL INTERNAL AS WELL AS EXTERNAL USB 2.0 & 3.0 PORTS became permanently useless (dead).!!!.

That meant that the two ALMOST BRAND NEW ACER ASPIRES - "basically" became useless BRICKS.

Unable to be "opened" ...

THEY SIMPLY COULD NOT BE TURNED ON VIA ANY HUMAN (interactive) KEYBOARD ENTRY, OR MOUSE CLICK, METHOD

Why ?

Because with NO USB PORTS operating.. THERE IS NO WAY TO USE THE KEYBOARD OR MOUSE.

THESE ARE ONLY USB DEVICES.!!

They are plugged external (via the USB ports) into the desktop itself..

ACER DESKTOP PC's do not have any form of INTERNAL KEYBOARD OR MOUSE,

And ?

AS THERE IS NO TOUCH SCREEN ?

There is NO way to "operate" the device via a touch-screen option

ONLY by plugging into a USB port, a KEYBOARD/MOUSE "set" (wired or wireless).

Thus the THREE ACER (brand of) All-in-one DESCKTOPS that I have had (two of them are now totally bricked and completely dead, and can't be operated at all now.) have had absolutely NO WAY to operate them, unless an external USB compliant mouse/keyboard (or
    wireless set) is connected via a USB port.

My newest ACER ASPIRE (a Z5-606) is NOW showing signs of deliberately turning OFF all USB ports irrespective of whether OR NOT these are actually IN USE?

Rendering the mouse/keyboard UNABLE to operate the desktop?

Because the daMned root hub (somehow) turns "OFF" all usb ports, after a certain time (irrespective of whether or NOT, one is actually using the keyboard AND mouse) - even though that "USB Selective Suspend Option" has been completely disabled in EVERY SETTING
    I( CAN FIND.. in control panel settings, as well as in the PC "general" power management settings (via the white cog) .?

Thus - ALL operating usb ports = ALL OF THEM, = completely die (rendering the desktop dead until hard rebooted.

Rendering the pc completely useless and UNRESPONSIVE to any "human action" ? Until "after" the "power cord itself" is physically RIPPED OUT of the unit - to do a hard power-off.?

The mouse and keyboard APPEAR to be completely DEAD - yet a POWER OUT (plug ripped out of the power-input-socket, and a re-entry of the power plug (back into it's power input socket) IMMEDIATELY resolves all USB port deaths - rendering the pc usable again ?

ie:

POWER DISCONNECTED - then - upon the power-cord being re-plugged back in and the pc (physically) TURNED ON - ?

ONLY THEN - does - EVERY USB PORT "magically" turn on again ????.

AFTER COMPLETELY DESTROYING ALL WORK ONE WAS WORKING ON, before the keyboard/mouse USB port (as well as every other port too) died?

Why .. because one CAN NOT SAVE ANYTHING (before having to rip the power cord OUT of the desktop) as there is no way to operate the pc's SAVE function - via a NON RESPONSIVE DEAD USB PORT that the mouse/keyboard is plugged into

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "provision" to DISABLE the USB power saving suspend function APPEARS to work in reverse., AS THE root hub APPEARS TO TURN everything off (NOT LEAVE IT ALL ON - AS IT SHOULD BE - WITH "disable" PRE-SELECTED) ?

WHY?

Why does an ALWAYS ON desktop PC (that ONLY has an external POWER CORD supplying it's running power, WITH NO INTERNAL BATTERY EVENB FITTED) "ever" need to have a "USB Suspend power management feature" (for a battery TYPE of system THAT THESE ACER DESKTOP PC's
    - ARE NOT - when that TURNS THE DAMNED PORTS OFF - thereby rendering the pc inoperable.

Irrespective of the setting of the DISABLE function ?

P.S. DO NOT REPLY - !!!

I DO NOT WANT A REPLY

JUST FIX THE MICROSOFT OPERATING SYSTEM'S OWN WIN 10 PROBLEM (deep inside) IN THE OPERATING SYSTEM ITSELF .!!!

AS - WIN 10 HOME VERSION 1607 - IS A BAD "OS".

QUIX _tm_ - NZ, Mar 18, 2017
  4. Unable to disable USB Selective Suspend

Try this:

Go into your device manager and under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Under there you will see USB hubs. In the properties for these hubs you will see a power management tab. Go under that tab and uncheck the option that allows the computer to turn the hubs off.

ArazelEternal, Mar 18, 2017
Thema:

Unable to disable USB Selective Suspend

1. Unable to disable USB Selective Suspend - Similar Threads - Unable disable USB

2. should I enable or disable USB selective suspend setting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    should I enable or disable USB selective suspend setting?: hi there:I have USB drives that Windows could not recognize on my laptop. It works with other devices. I think it might be ports issues. I came across USB selective suspend setting. Disable it could fix the issue. Is it very bad to leave it disable all the time or not bad?...
  3. should I enable or disable USB selective suspend setting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    should I enable or disable USB selective suspend setting?: hi there:I have USB drives that Windows could not recognize on my laptop. It works with other devices. I think it might be ports issues. I came across USB selective suspend setting. Disable it could fix the issue. Is it very bad to leave it disable all the time or not bad?...
  4. USB Selective Suspend Setting not found.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Selective Suspend Setting not found.: I am trying to find the USB Selective Suspend Setting in my computer, I am on windows 11 and found the power options, the next step would be to select USB Settings {expand} and then disable the selective suspend setting, but I cant find it anywhere. I am trying to change this...
  5. USB Selective Suspend Setting not found.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Selective Suspend Setting not found.: I am trying to find the USB Selective Suspend Setting in my computer, I am on windows 11 and found the power options, the next step would be to select USB Settings {expand} and then disable the selective suspend setting, but I cant find it anywhere. I am trying to change this...
  6. Increase the delay for USB Selective Suspend.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Increase the delay for USB Selective Suspend.: I have this keyboard on the laptop that does not respect selective suspend keeping the cpu at high power usage all the time. I've found a way to force the keyboard to go to sleep when not in use, but when it chooses to go from awake to sleep, it has a half a second or so of...
  7. USB Selective Suspend

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Selective Suspend: I've got an issue with selective suspend of a thermal printer in Windows 10 and I can't seem to find anywhere that specifically states the length of time Windows will wait. Any chance there's a simple answer for this? I'm able to disable it entirely, but it seems weird that...
  8. USB Selective Suspend is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    USB Selective Suspend is not working: Greetings all, Long story short: No matter how many USB options I check in device manager (properties > power management > allow the computer to turn off this device to save power), and no matter how many Advanced power plan settings I adjust the USB selective...
  9. USB Selective Suspend is not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Selective Suspend is not working: Greetings all, Long story short: No matter how many USB options I check in device manager (properties > power management > allow the computer to turn off this device to save power), and no matter how many Advanced power plan settings I adjust the USB selective...
  10. Adjust USB selective suspend setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adjust USB selective suspend setting: I think this is a long shot but here goes.... I know how to turn off/on the "USB selective suspend setting". I actually don't mind that it is enabled however what I find annoying is when my external 'wakes', a window pops up showing all of my files on the external as if I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disabling the Selective USB Suspension not available

2. usb select suspend setting