Windows 10: Unable to edit target location on shortcuts

Discus and support Unable to edit target location on shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good day team, This is my first ever post here. I have browsed all over the internet for an answer but I just can't seem to find it. I am an avid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Esteban Q, May 1, 2016.

1. Esteban Q Win User

Unable to edit target location on shortcuts

Good day team,

This is my first ever post here. I have browsed all over the internet for an answer but I just can't seem to find it. I am an avid Simcity 4 player, and I alwyas have to edit the target location of my shortcut in order to modify some tings like: skipping the intro and establishing the proper graphics setup. But in this new system (windows 10) it seems impossible. I create the shortcuts, go to properties and then try to edit the target location but it seems to be grayed out and it is driving me crazy as I don't know why.
    I will attach two images of how it looks like to me. Hope this community can help me since the SC4 forums have not been able to do so.

Thanks in advance and I am delighted to join this new community.

:)

Esteban Q, May 1, 2016

2. problem with shortcut

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

· Where is the original file located?

· Does this happen with only one particular file or all the files?

It seems the link to the shortcut is broken or the file is moved to a different location. You may verify if you can open the original file .

You may also check for the target of the shortcut file and verify if the original file is located in the right location. To check the target and target location, do the following:

a. Right click on the shortcut file and click on properties.

b. Click on shortcut tab.

c. Make a note of the target and target location.

d. Verify if the original file is located as stated in the target location.

If you are able to open the file you may delete the shortcut and recreate a shortcut again from the orginal word file.

Anusha Verma, May 1, 2016
  3. ssd21345 Win User
    Any better way to stop shortcut changing itself target from non-system disk to system disk?

Currently, I edit reg to stop shortcut changing target itself:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...rt-changing-the-location-of-the-program-files

but as the post itself mentioned, it breaks windows update.

anyway to disable that feature(windows force the shortcut to change from non-system disk to system disk) while windows (10) apps and windows update still work correctly aside from reverting the installation folder location to c every time I have to update
    using forementioned way?

And no, creating shortcut again, chkdsk, change shortcut target won't work.

ssd21345, May 1, 2016
  4. wyldman68 Win User

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 or do a clean install? Have you tried creating a new shortcut to Simcity 4? I can make changes to my desktop shortcuts just like Windows 7/8.

wyldman68, May 1, 2016
  5. Esteban Q Win User
    Actually I just bought the computer and it had it pre-installed so its not an upgrade. I have tried creating the shortcut directly from the icon (the only way I know) but it is the same problem.

What else can I do?

Esteban Q, May 2, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Are you by any chance running it from virtual disk/CD ?

CountMike, May 2, 2016
  7. Esteban Q Win User
    Noup, I bought the game from Oirign as a digital copy.

By the way, I managed to do a script (*.bat) in order to create the target myself, and it works. It launches the game as I want it to. But regardless of that, why is the Target box grayed out?

Esteban Q, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to edit target location on shortcuts - Similar Threads - Unable edit target

2. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid": I need to copy a new shortcut to Users PC. I am trying to create the shortcut on my PC but I do not have the program installed. "Office 2016 Standard x86" . I have O365 installed.Windows will not let me create a shortcut to a path that does not exist.yes i could create on...
  3. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid": I need to copy a new shortcut to Users PC. I am trying to create the shortcut on my PC but I do not have the program installed. "Office 2016 Standard x86" . I have O365 installed.Windows will not let me create a shortcut to a path that does not exist.yes i could create on...
  4. Problem with Shortcut "Specfied in the target path is not Valid"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11: I am the administrator of my PC and I am trying to edit the Target in a created shortcut from Xbox Game Pass but the Target box is greyed out and cannot be edited. Is there a way to do this in windows 11?...
  6. How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to edit the Target of a shortcut in windows 11: I am the administrator of my PC and I am trying to edit the Target in a created shortcut from Xbox Game Pass but the Target box is greyed out and cannot be edited. Is there a way to do this in windows 11?...
  7. How to change target location for download file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change target location for download file?: Windows 11. Need to change target location for download files. So easy in WIN10, but cannot find change. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-target-location-for-download-file/2c8c2220-fed8-4937-9d6f-603b7cddcbef
  8. Use clipboard contents in shortcut target

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use clipboard contents in shortcut target: Hello, I need to have the part of the target in my shortcut change automatically with my clipboard contents. How could I achieve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-clipboard-contents-in-shortcut-target/5824a36f-5f83-48a6-aa5f-f559aa8487b2
  9. Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding the target file of a keyboard shortcut: Short version of my question: I'd like to change a keyboard shortcut that starts an app, but I've forgotten the location of the shortcut file that is targeted by the relevant keystrokes. How can I change the keyboard shortcut? Longer version of my question: I originally set...
  10. The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!

in Browsers and Email
    The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!: Hi, Just turned computer on, and upon starting found "File Explorer" icon in Taskbar to be "flashing" together with the error message..... The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid! I am using Mozilla Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer, (IE being turned off)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot edit shortcut target location windows 10

2. windows unable to edit shortcut

3. unable edit shortcut target