Windows 10: Unable to format a drive

Discus and support Unable to format a drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 3 drives on my computer: My windows drive (SSD) on C: My Gaming drive (HDD) on D: My Extra space drive (HDD) on E: I can not format E:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Yibba, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Yibba Win User

Unable to format a drive

I have 3 drives on my computer:

My windows drive (SSD) on C:
    My Gaming drive (HDD) on D:
    My Extra space drive (HDD) on E:

I can not format E:

Here is my Disc management:

Unable to format a drive [​IMG]

I have tried opening an Admin Command Prompt and typing:
    BCDBOOT C:\WINDOWS /s C:

I wish to get rid of all files on E: so I can use it for raw videos.

:)

Yibba, Dec 28, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Dec 28, 2015
  3. Pen Drive format and detection problem

when i plug in the pen drive it shows that you need to format it before using. When i try to format then it shows that windows was unable to format. I've tried the disk management method, drive management method and the cmd method but was not unable
    to format it because the detection of pen drive is for just a few seconds and then it disapears. I have also tried to uninstall the drivers within those few seconds and then pug in again but the same message appears.I have windows 10. Please help me!

sahilgoel1201, Dec 28, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Unable to format a drive

Your E: drive contains the Bootmgr and marked as active. You cannot format it until you move the bootmgr back to C:. Use Easy BCD to move it.
    Download: EasyBCD 2.2 - Neowin
    and follow the screen shot:

Unable to format a drive [​IMG]

topgundcp, Dec 28, 2015
  5. Yibba Win User
    This worked without a hitch! Thank you! You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Yibba, Dec 29, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    Nice info to have.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to format a drive

1. Unable to format a drive - Similar Threads - Unable format drive

2. C: Drive Formatting.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C: Drive Formatting.: I have had Windows 10 for a while but now ive installed on another Drive called D drive on to my new SSD D: drive and it's been running fine on D drive for months and I want to format all of the c drive to use for new storage item whatever they me. Will that be ok to go...
  3. Format D: drive

Format D: drive: Hi, I have two disks, C and D. I just did a factory reset on C. C is now like new, but D: is still full of data and software installations (that now does not work anymore). Is it safe to format D: through the disk management tool?...
  4. USB drive is write protected; unable to format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB drive is write protected; unable to format: I had a USB pendrive with some data in it. I accidently plugged out my pendrive while the files within it were being deleted. Ever since then, my pendrive has got write protected. It even stopped showing the storage capacity in the Windows Explorer. I checked the details of...
  5. format drive

format drive: hi, I've upgraded from win7 premium to win10. I need to do back up recovery drive. Must I format 16gb usb drive to NTSF format instead of fat32? and how much space is required for allocation? win 10 has already denied processing recovery drive backup. so concerned...
  6. formatting a hard drive

formatting a hard drive: does anyone know how to format a hard drive to load and run windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-drive/398827f9-3683-4e2c-a621-a32071e1d680
  7. Formating USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating USB drive: How can I format a USB memory to 2048 Byte size. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formating-usb-drive/cb81e9aa-877a-4513-a175-81afae642744
  8. Windows unable to complete format

Windows unable to complete format: First of all, the drive on my laptop is DVD RW drive. I can use a CD RW disk in it, can't I? I put a new CD RW disk in and a window popped up asking me if I wanted to format and giving me two options. I didn't think I had to format a new disk. Anyway, I chose the option...
  9. Windows Was Unable to Format This Drive - new 6 TB HGST drive

Windows Was Unable to Format This Drive - new 6 TB HGST drive: This drive is a retail DeskStar NAS 6 TB drive, which I just bought from the Egg. Previous experience with Hitachi, 3.5" and 2.5" has been uniformly positive, so I'm very loyal to the brand.*Smile I always do a full format in Windows on every new drive. This is the first...
  10. Formatting flash drives

Formatting flash drives: Hi all. Lately, every flash drive I've bought requires to be NTFS formatted. Quick formatting gives me the option to change allocation size. Is there a specific size I should be using or just go small? 39013