Windows 10: Unable to format a drive

Discus and support Unable to format a drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 3 drives on my computer: My windows drive (SSD) on C: My Gaming drive (HDD) on D: My Extra space drive (HDD) on E: I can not format E:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Yibba, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Yibba Win User

Unable to format a drive

I have 3 drives on my computer:

My windows drive (SSD) on C:
    My Gaming drive (HDD) on D:
    My Extra space drive (HDD) on E:

I can not format E:

Here is my Disc management:

Unable to format a drive [​IMG]

I have tried opening an Admin Command Prompt and typing:
    BCDBOOT C:\WINDOWS /s C:

I wish to get rid of all files on E: so I can use it for raw videos.

:)

Yibba, Dec 28, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Dec 28, 2015
  3. Pen Drive format and detection problem

when i plug in the pen drive it shows that you need to format it before using. When i try to format then it shows that windows was unable to format. I've tried the disk management method, drive management method and the cmd method but was not unable
    to format it because the detection of pen drive is for just a few seconds and then it disapears. I have also tried to uninstall the drivers within those few seconds and then pug in again but the same message appears.I have windows 10. Please help me!

sahilgoel1201, Dec 28, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Unable to format a drive

Your E: drive contains the Bootmgr and marked as active. You cannot format it until you move the bootmgr back to C:. Use Easy BCD to move it.
    Download: EasyBCD 2.2 - Neowin
    and follow the screen shot:

Unable to format a drive [​IMG]

topgundcp, Dec 28, 2015
  5. Yibba Win User
    This worked without a hitch! Thank you! You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Yibba, Dec 29, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    Nice info to have.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to format a drive

1. Unable to format a drive - Similar Threads - Unable format drive

2. Unable to format . . .

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to format . . .: My computer, is a laptop. Running, Windows 10. I have a 256 gigabyte, USB drive. That I'm, unable to format. If you look. at the picture. I went to, disk management. It shows, the available space. But if I right click, simple volume. Nothing happens? In, the past. I had, this...
  3. Unable to format . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to format . . .: My computer, is a laptop. Running, Windows 10. I have a 256 gigabyte, USB drive. That I'm, unable to format. If you look. at the picture. I went to, disk management. It shows, the available space. But if I right click, simple volume. Nothing happens? In, the past. I had, this...
  4. Unable to format . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to format Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to format Drive: Hi, I installed a virus containing file on my local disk E To do that i disabled windows defender also. After that my pc crashed. So i decided to delete the application and files connected to it. But i couldn't delete them. then I tried formatting my disk but when i format...
  6. Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!: Hi, I had a 5GB file which I wanted to copy in my flash drive. But my drive was formatted in FAT32 system, so I tried to format it as NTFS. But from then it shows that Windows was unable to complete the format. I tried formatting using different computers and even...
  7. Unable to format USB Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to format USB Drive: When i am trying to format the usb drive it shows me windows was unable to format the drive . I tried all methods but it not working.Also happens in copy and paste also.When i am trying to copy a file pc to usb drive it shows me"Destination folder access Denied". I am the...
  8. Unable to format USB drive in Windows 10

Unable to format USB drive in Windows 10: I am unable to format USB drive in Windows 10. Even when I tried copy paste few files from local drive, it is asking me admin permission. I tried same thing in other laptop having windows 7 and it works fine. In laptop having windows 10, I tried all possible ways which...
  9. Unable to format drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to format drive: Hello ! I need urgent help. I have a 960gb ssd from Corsair. I installed Dual Boot on it, 2 Windows 10 Pro For Workstations accounts. On one of the Windows accounts, I used Bitlocker to Encrypt 3 Partitions, including the one with Windows installed. This Part that had...
  10. USB drive is write protected; unable to format

USB drive is write protected; unable to format: I had a USB pendrive with some data in it. I accidently plugged out my pendrive while the files within it were being deleted. Ever since then, my pendrive has got write protected. It even stopped showing the storage capacity in the Windows Explorer. I checked the details of...