Windows 10: Unable to get Anniversary update after multiple failed attempts

Discus and support Unable to get Anniversary update after multiple failed attempts in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Since the Anniversary update was first released I have tried to install it every so often. My most recent attempt was last week, tried 3 times, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by cbiweb, Dec 24, 2016.

1. cbiweb Win User

Unable to get Anniversary update after multiple failed attempts

Since the Anniversary update was first released I have tried to install it every so often. My most recent attempt was last week, tried 3 times, but each time it failed when my laptop overheated and shut down during the process. But now the update no longer shows up when I scan for updates. Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > Help > About Windows shows I still have version 1511, so it's confirmed that 1607 has not installed.

Any idea how I can get the update?

:)

cbiweb, Dec 24, 2016
  2. MainSoft Win User

Can the Anniversary update be intentionally blocked/suspended by Windows Update ?

Hi,

After multiple attempts to install the Anniversary version, Windows Update has stopped to propose this update. It continues to update version 1511 but the Anniversary update is no longer attempted.

I already asked this multiple times but I never found anybody who was able to answer this question :
    can Windows Update decide to no longer try an update to the Anniversary version after a given number of failed attempts ?
    In which case, can this lock be released and how ? I already tried to reset Windows Update but this didn't help.

I'm not looking for a solution to install the Anniversary update manually or whatever. The update always fails and I tried everything. This question is handled in another thread.
    I'm just looking for an answer to the above question.

MainSoft, Dec 24, 2016
  3. StSteve11 Win User
    Windows Defender won't update. Windows 10 (Anniversary) won't update

After multiple attempts, got Anniversary to load. After a few attempts, got Update to work in Anniversary. That updated Defender.

I'm out.

StSteve11, Dec 24, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Dec 24, 2016
  5. bbinnard Win User
    Welcome to the club (of people who cannot install the Anniversary Upgrade.) The general consensus is that the only way to get it installed is to download the Media Creation Tool and do a clean install, followed by re-installing and customizing all your software.

Be sure you make a full boot disk backup that you know you can restore from optical disk or flash drive just in case the clean install leaves you with a non-bootable system.

bbinnard, Dec 26, 2016
  6. cbiweb Win User
    Thanks guys.

That's pretty sad....

cbiweb, Dec 26, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    But it's not the only story. The system I'm using to post this started as an OEM Windows 7, upgraded to Windows 10 in the first week of release. Then upgraded to 1511 and more recently to 1607. Each time was by using a USB made with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, option One here...
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

8. cbiweb Win User

It's a lot of rigmarole that I don't really need to go through right now. If there's nothing life changing about it, I'll stay where I am for now. Maybe a future update - or new laptop - will fix it.

cbiweb, Dec 26, 2016
  9. Brian925 Win User
    I was trying to install it also and it kept failing. If the only way to do it is to do a clean install then screw it. If it comes to the point of not being able to get updates because of not having 1607 then the normal Joes in the world are going to be pissed. I've wanted to get rid of it for a long time but unfortunately the things I use the most, music and video editing are a pain in other OS's when you have to constantly try and find the right drivers. MS sucks but it is what it is. I had a hard enough time just trying to get Win 10 to install from Win 7 and I use Win 7 more than 10, but have given up trying to get updates for 7, that's a total joke.

Brian925, Dec 27, 2016
  10. cbiweb Win User
    Just thought I'd post an update...

Two days ago, 1607 finally reappeared in my Windows Update list. Ran it again, and it worked! I now have 1607.

What did I do differently? Well, since the problem seemed to be an overheating machine, I positioned a fan pointed directly at it, at close range, during the entire process. This laptop has never been cooler, lol. Whether that was the actual issue or not, bottom line is I now have the update!

cbiweb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to get Anniversary update after multiple failed attempts - Similar Threads - Unable Anniversary update

2. Computer unable to update, gets stuck in cycle of attempting to update and then failing on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer unable to update, gets stuck in cycle of attempting to update and then failing on...: For a few months now, my computer has had windows updates to install but they always fail. This makes restarting the computer very slow since I have to wait for the updates to fail over and over before it allows me to log in. Checking the log these are some of the updates...
  3. Computer unable to update, gets stuck in cycle of attempting to update and then failing on...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer unable to update, gets stuck in cycle of attempting to update and then failing on...: For a few months now, my computer has had windows updates to install but they always fail. This makes restarting the computer very slow since I have to wait for the updates to fail over and over before it allows me to log in. Checking the log these are some of the updates...
  4. Computer unable to update, gets stuck in cycle of attempting to update and then failing on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. KB5022913 Fails to install after multiple attempts.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5022913 Fails to install after multiple attempts.: Hello.This update will not install after multiple attempts.: 2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5022913 Error 0x800f081fNote: KB4023057 installed successfully.Edition Windows 11 HomeVersion 22H2Installed on ‎20/‎09/‎2022OS build...
  6. KB5022913 Fails to install after multiple attempts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5022913 Fails to install after multiple attempts.: Hello.This update will not install after multiple attempts.: 2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5022913 Error 0x800f081fNote: KB4023057 installed successfully.Edition Windows 11 HomeVersion 22H2Installed on ‎20/‎09/‎2022OS build...
  7. 4th attempt by Anniversary update - fails - something else is updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    4th attempt by Anniversary update - fails - something else is updating: I have been running the version of Win 10 before the Anniversary edition. I did not know when I allowed the download manager to do an update (be nice if they actually identified that as Anniversary edition rather than just some updates) that it was going to the newer version....
  8. Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?

Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?: I just updated my 64-bit PC with the anniversary update, as confirmed by the changes to the notification at far right, and all programs showing on the start menu. But then, I tried the update on my 32-bit PC, which I started and let run while away from it. When I came...
  9. Unable to Install Anniversary Update - Keeps failing

Unable to Install Anniversary Update - Keeps failing: I am unable to install the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, keeps failing after second restart (at around 75%). Machine is a relatively recent custom build, a little over 12 months old: Gigabyte B85M-HD3 (rev 2) mobo, i5-4460 CPU, Geforce GT 740 2GB GPU, 8GB RAM, Samsung 850...
  10. Anniversary update fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary update fails: I'm helping a friend with her Toshiba laptop. It came with Windows 7 and she had updated it to windows 10 but could not update to the anniversary version. The anniversary update repeatedly failed for me too. So I did a sfc/scannow which found errors and fixed them. I...