Windows 10: Unable to install updates

Discus and support Unable to install updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I run windows 10 1607 and I am unable to : - Install .net framework update kb3186568 (error 0x8000ffff ) - run sfc /scannow : Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by contremaitre, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Unable to install updates

Hello,
    I run windows 10 1607 and I am unable to :
    - Install .net framework update kb3186568 (error 0x8000ffff )
    - run sfc /scannow : Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service
    - install creator update : error 0x8007007e
    - run dism /scanhealth : error 0x8000ffff

You can find my cbs log here : CBS.zip

Thanks

:)

contremaitre, Sep 13, 2017

2. Unable to install Updates Error: 0x80240437, Unable to open Store Error: 0x80072EFD

Original Title: Issues connecting to Microsoft services

I've upgraded to Windows 10, and everything seemingly went fine. But, when I try to go to the Store, it doesn't opet, showing the error 0x80072EFD.

When I go to Windows Update, again, it doesn't work, stating that there were problems, and gives the error 0x80240437.

I can't connect to Cortana either, but that doesn't give an error.

But I do have an internet connection. I can access OneDrive,Skype, I can browse the web, and so on.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

DinoMusić, Sep 13, 2017
  3. Unable to install Updates Error: 0x80240437, Unable to open Store Error: 0x80072EFD

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Do you have any anti-virus program installed?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter

I suggest you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run Windows Updatetroubleshooter:

• PressWindows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • ClickWindows Update troubleshooter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Method 2

I suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows update is running. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key +R, type “services.msc
    • Locate the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the
      Windows Update Services and check if it is running.
    • If not, right click on the service and click start to start the service.
    Method 3: Place the computer in Clean Boot and then install the updates

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer the article below to perform clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please refer to the section:
    How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot
    of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Method 4

You may try to reset the Windows Store cache.

• Press Windows key + R to open run window.
    • Type wsreset.exe.
    • Press OK.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Sep 13, 2017
  4. Unable to install updates

Caledon Ken, Sep 14, 2017
  5. Hi,
    I just tried an inplace upgrade with the media creation tool and I got an error :
    Windows 10 installation failed

Here is the CBS logs :

contremaitre, Sep 17, 2017
  6. hawkman Win User
    Hi contremaitre,

looking at the first CBS log, there appears to be component store corruption, and its creating an update pending loop.

You could try a DISM restore health option
    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

If that fails then its looking like a clean install.

Did you have Norton as your AV, then Avira, if so did you use the Norton removal tool

Roy

hawkman, Sep 17, 2017
  7. Hi,
    I only have avast as AV.
    DISM scanhealth fails with error 0x8000ffff
    Looks like the pending loop prevent DISM from repairing, but I am not sure, could you have a look to this log CBS.log ?
    I would like to avoid reinstalling windows completly

contremaitre, Sep 17, 2017
  8. Unable to install updates

You did scanhealth and you know there is corruption. I believe you have to move on to step 5 and likely step 7.

Do you have an ISO or ESD with the same version as you are trying to repair?

Caledon Ken, Sep 18, 2017
  9. hawkman Win User
    Hi

Only said Avira as thats whats on your specs.

That Cbs also shows major errors in the Winsxs folder, used for updating
    from it
    Corruption detection complete. numCorruptions = 24793
    Its then having a problem trying to create the repair operation.

With that many errors i cannot see any other way, apart from a clean install

Just to comfirm, is this an Enterprise version OS

Roy

hawkman, Sep 18, 2017
  10. It's a home version. I already tried step 5 and 7 with the install.esd

contremaitre, Sep 18, 2017
  11. By version I mean 1607 or 1511 or 1703. If you downloaded and created USB key with Media Creation tool, and downloaded tool recently, you have V1703 on key.

What version is yours windows, Windows key + R, type winver, enter.

12. Then to do step 7, as I understand it you have to find an ISO with 1607.

Here is a link to a link with safe ISO's. (all)

Need safe 1511 ISO

You also have to get right edition, in your case home.

It very well could be easier to clean install. I know it sounds huge but you get a clean slate out the other end.

Ensure your data is backed up before trying anything, please

13. hawkman Win User

Unable to install updates

From your other thread

The OS name list needs to be updated! Unknown Windows version: 10.0 ***

From what i can find this comp did not ship with Windows.
    Where did you get your install media, i suspect its corrupt

Within the 2nd Cbs log the file is showing corrupt entries for an Enterprise setup.

please read this tutorial and follow the instructions
    Activation troubleshooting - Windows 10 Forums

Roy

hawkman, Sep 18, 2017
  14. On my other thread it's not the same computer

contremaitre, Sep 18, 2017
  15. dism with the right install.wim version fails the same way

contremaitre, Sep 19, 2017
Thema:

Unable to install updates

1. Unable to install updates - Similar Threads - Unable install updates

2. UNABLE TO INSTALL THE UPDATE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNABLE TO INSTALL THE UPDATE: Hello there!I am here again with another problem that I am facingso recently I opened my laptop and an update pop up just came up it was saying to update to the new version of windows 11 22h2and I went quickly to update settings and tried to update my PC to a more recent...
  3. UNABLE TO INSTALL THE UPDATE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UNABLE TO INSTALL THE UPDATE: Hello there!I am here again with another problem that I am facingso recently I opened my laptop and an update pop up just came up it was saying to update to the new version of windows 11 22h2and I went quickly to update settings and tried to update my PC to a more recent...
  4. Unable to install update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install update: The 2022-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems KB5016616 has been failing repeatedly on my PC. It downloads and installs, but when I restart my computer, the screen "working on updates" stops at 7%. Then, while restarting, the following...
  5. Unable to install update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to install update: The 2022-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems KB5016616 has been failing repeatedly on my PC. It downloads and installs, but when I restart my computer, the screen "working on updates" stops at 7%. Then, while restarting, the following...
  6. Unable to install update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. unable to install updates

unable to install updates: hii sir I m using the window 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB4556799 Error 0x80073701 unable to install it and no other update are comming pls fix this issue and solve my problem regard anuj singh...
  8. Unable to install update

Unable to install update: Hi, I cannot install the following update:- 2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB4541335 - Error 0x800f0986. It downloads ok and installs right up to 100%, but then says unable to install some parts, will try again later. Have...
  9. UNABLE TO INSTALL AN UPDATE

UNABLE TO INSTALL AN UPDATE: I have a acer aspire 6 computer with windows 10 home installed in it. the problem is that it is unable to install one the updates in it. the update has been downloaded but it is unable to install it. it is frustrating me because every time I turn it on, it consumes nearly 10...
  10. Unable to install update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to install update: I'm unable to install the KB4103721 update on windows 10. I cant shutdown the computer normally, it keeps saying update and shutdown/restart no matter how many times I do it. Thins I've already tired: Update and shutdown Update and restart deleted the update from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update failed to check for updates with error 0x80240437