Windows 10: Unable to install windows 10

Discus and support Unable to install windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I get the error message: "Windows 10 couldn't be installed - We couldn't update the system reserved partition". Anyone know how to solve this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by brainfreeze, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Unable to install windows 10

Hi

I get the error message: "Windows 10 couldn't be installed - We couldn't update the system reserved partition".

Anyone know how to solve this? Thanks.

:)

brainfreeze, Aug 6, 2015
  2. ShivanshS Win User

Unable to install Windows 10 - fresh install

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried almost everything that you have suggested in past 3 days with no positive outcome as of now.

And as replied to Dave in this chain itself, I have now waited for more than 4 hours for this process to complete with no results.

Since the installer is trying to "install updates" - is there any way I can go online in this install process itself? Its a fresh install so no configuration of Wifi or even no accessibility of Wifi via installer.

ShivanshS, Aug 6, 2015
  3. ShivanshS Win User
    Unable to install Windows 10 - fresh install

At present the install process is on and it is now stuck at same point from past 4 hours and it is the max I have waited for the installer to respond further.

To your point of being online/offline while installing windows, since this is a fresh install, my laptop isn't online as there is no way to configure WiFi via installer itself. To take the device online, the OS shall run first and then only I will be able
    to connect to internet. Please correct me if I am missing anything here.

Thus, my laptop is all offline and the installer is stuck on "Installing Updates". Also, I noted that the step name written on the screen is not in bold at the moment where as all the previous steps were in bold when they were getting completed. So, can
    I say that the installer has not even begun with this particular step?

ShivanshS, Aug 6, 2015
  4. pyramid10 Win User

Unable to install windows 10

One possible way: back up data and drivers, image the drive for possible failure of upgrade process, restore PC to factory status, and try to upgrade from that.

pyramid10, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Post a snapshot of a fullscreen Disk Management Window:

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen. Expand the fields as necessary so everything can be seen.

Windows 10: How to Take a Screenshot in Windows 10

Windows 8: How to Take and Create a Screenshot with Paint in Windows 8 and 8.1

Vista and Windows 7: How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7/8).

You have to increate the size of the reserved partition from 100MB to 350MB or 500MB. Disk Management will tell us.

Ztruker, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Yup, the System Reserved is only 100MB and needs ot be made bigger. The free version of AOMEI Partition Assistant can do this for you.

Free Partition Manager Software - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

You need to move the starting point for your C: drive to the right by 250MB then increase the size of System Reserved to 350MB. That should do it.

Unable to install windows 10 [​IMG]

Ztruker, Aug 6, 2015
  7. It creates a whole new partition when I reduce the C drive and it prevents me from altering the system reserved.

brainfreeze, Aug 7, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

You do it all at the same time.

1. Reduce C:
    2. Expand Sys Reserved.

Did AOMEI reboot to do the actual changes?

Ztruker, Aug 7, 2015
  9. Not sure how to do that at the same time. It didn't keep the changes. I reverted it back once I saw it had created an extra partition..

brainfreeze, Aug 7, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    You right click on C: and select Resize Partition.
    Use the small down arrow to reduce partition size and free up about 150MB.

Unable to install windows 10 [​IMG]

If it won't let you change the System Reserved, go ahead and apply the C: change.
    Repeat for the System Reserved only this time expand it to include the space freed from C:.
    Now apply both changes. This should cause a system reboot where the changes are actually applied.

Ztruker, Aug 7, 2015
  11. I resized C and rebooted, but system reserved still won't resize. When I press the up arrow it does nothing. I tried merging the new "unallocated" 250MB partition created after resizing C but system reserved is gray'd out so I can't merge them.

brainfreeze, Aug 7, 2015
  12. brainfreeze, Aug 9, 2015
  13. Ztruker Win User

Ah, and that resolve the System Reserved problem? Good to know, thanks.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to install windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable install

2. Unable to install correct drivers for my CPU; stuck with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install correct drivers for my CPU; stuck with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter....: So, my Mac was low on storage and there was something I needed that only Windows had. So I just backed up all important files; and downloaded Windows 10. I've done this multiple times before, everything went perfectly the other times. However; when I tried to run the latest...
  3. Unable to install correct drivers for my CPU; stuck with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to install correct drivers for my CPU; stuck with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter....: So, my Mac was low on storage and there was something I needed that only Windows had. So I just backed up all important files; and downloaded Windows 10. I've done this multiple times before, everything went perfectly the other times. However; when I tried to run the latest...
  4. Unable to install correct drivers for my CPU; stuck with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Unable to Activate Windows 11 after OS Re-install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Activate Windows 11 after OS Re-install: Howdy everyone!I recently had a lot of trouble with Windows updates not completing and several applications that were consistently crashing. Things reached a point where I wanted to reset the OS. I figured resetting the OS would solve the problem; however, it would not let me...
  6. Unable to Activate Windows 11 after OS Re-install

Unable to Activate Windows 11 after OS Re-install: Howdy everyone!I recently had a lot of trouble with Windows updates not completing and several applications that were consistently crashing. Things reached a point where I wanted to reset the OS. I figured resetting the OS would solve the problem; however, it would not let me...
  7. Unable to install Guest Additions in VirtualBox

in Windows 10 News
    Unable to install Guest Additions in VirtualBox: [ATTACH]It may happen that you are unable to install Guest Additions to a virtual machine in Oracle VirtualBox. When we click on Devices > Install Guest Additions CD Image, it does nothing but throw an error as follows: VirtualBox – Error: Unable to insert the virtual optical...
  8. Unable to install RealTek audio drivers [Error Code : -0001]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install RealTek audio drivers [Error Code : -0001]: Hello, I no longer have any sound coming from my computer speakers. I tried reinstalling the Realtek High Definition 6.0.9360.1 driver. After uninstalling the existing driver and restarting my machine, I get the following error message at the end of the installation:“Realtek...
  9. Unable to install RealTek audio drivers [Error Code : -0001]

Unable to install RealTek audio drivers [Error Code : -0001]: Hello, I no longer have any sound coming from my computer speakers. I tried reinstalling the Realtek High Definition 6.0.9360.1 driver. After uninstalling the existing driver and restarting my machine, I get the following error message at the end of the installation:“Realtek...
  10. Unable to install RealTek audio drivers [Error Code : -0001]

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4462919) Error 0x80070002