Windows 10: Unable to merge or expand my system drive

Discus and support Unable to merge or expand my system drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, On my laptop I have a 1 TB HDD and on that drive the usable space was formatted into 2 separate partitions. This doesn't work well for me and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JohnFreeman646, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Unable to merge or expand my system drive

Hello,

On my laptop I have a 1 TB HDD and on that drive the usable space was formatted into 2 separate partitions. This doesn't work well for me and I would prefer to have just one partition with all of the usable space. So I've tried everything I can think of and for some reason I just can't get the partitions to merge or even delete the secondary partition and expand the one I want to use. I have some pictures below to show what's going on.

This one shows the two partitions that I want merged.

Unable to merge or expand my system drive [​IMG]

This next one shows that I cannot extend the partition even if the other partition was deleted and is unpartitioned space

This last one shows that even with a 3rd party software I get the same result as EaseUS Partition Master doesn't give me the option to merge or move/re-size the partition

So at this point I'm stumped and I don't understand why this won't work as I've done the same thing with many other computers easily in disk management.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Edit: Some spelling errors

:)

JohnFreeman646, Jan 12, 2016

2. System recovery partition

After i have installed latest windows 10 update my system drive got filled cause i only allotted 100 GB for windows (C: drive). To expand C: drive i deleted a system recovery partition(800 MB) and D drive and merge it to system drive. I wanna know what
    that system recovery drive do cause i check that my system have multiple recovery partition and is it now possible to create that deleted system partition now and does affect my PC performance ? thanks in advance

mayank1625, Jan 12, 2016
  3. Recovery partitions after the Windows 10 upgrade From 8.1

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have a question in merging the partition.

I would like to inform you that you have an option of merging the drives with simple changes from the issue description. Do not merge the EFI system partition as it deals with the boot process. Also I suggest you reserve a drive so that you can retrieve
    files of Windows 10 when needed.

Create a recovery drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

Now you can merge four drives out of six.
    To do so refer the steps below.

• You can do that by right clicking on the drive.

• Select Expand and follow the on screen instruction.
    Hope this information helps you.

Sudheendra S, Jan 12, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Unable to merge or expand my system drive

Right click on the 900MB partition and move it to the end of the unallocated space first so the unallocated space will be next to C: Drive then you can merge them.

topgundcp, Jan 12, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    As long as the 900mb recovery partition is where it is at, the two partitions on either side of it cannot be merged. The solution is as topgundcp stated:

1. Copy data from D: drive partition to C: drive partition using regular file copy.
    2. Delete the D: drive partition.
    3. Move the 900mb recovery partition to the end of the unallocated space created by deleting D: drive partition.
    4. Expand the C: drive partition into the adjacent unallocated space created by moving the recovery partition.

Minitool Partition Free would make the above steps easy.

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2016
  6. John035 Win User

The two partition does not support the adjustment, you need to delete the small partition and then use EaseUS Merge or Move them again.

John035, Jan 14, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, the OP doesn't need to delete the small partition. The solution has been given in both posts #2 and #4. It's just that built in Windows disk management does not have the capability to do it, but MiniTool Partition Wizard does - and it's free.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to merge or expand my system drive

1. Unable to merge or expand my system drive - Similar Threads - Unable merge expand

2. Not able to merge unallocated space to C system Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to merge unallocated space to C system Drive: I shrank 6.86 GB from my D drive and tried to extend my C Drive with it, but the extend storage option on my C drive is not working or blurred out. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm running on Windows 11 Home Single Language.Thanks!...
  3. Not able to merge unallocated space to C system Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to merge unallocated space to C system Drive: I shrank 6.86 GB from my D drive and tried to extend my C Drive with it, but the extend storage option on my C drive is not working or blurred out. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm running on Windows 11 Home Single Language.Thanks!...
  4. Unable to expand part of drive C at the expense of part D.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to expand part of drive C at the expense of part D.: Hello, I have encountered the problem that when trying to expand parts of the main drive it does not work. Parts of the main disk, that is, C and D can themselves divide into parts, but at the same time join into one can not. Does not help neither as a disk management itself...
  5. My 3 drives merged to single drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My 3 drives merged to single drive: I updated the new software shown in settings of my windows 11 laptop. After updating I got a blue screen error. After resolving it I got further more errors in functions of my laptop. So I reset my laptop by removing all files. After restarting a couple of times and following...
  6. My 3 drives merged to single drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My 3 drives merged to single drive: I updated the new software shown in settings of my windows 11 laptop. After updating I got a blue screen error. After resolving it I got further more errors in functions of my laptop. So I reset my laptop by removing all files. After restarting a couple of times and following...
  7. Drive merge

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive merge: I recently bought a new ssd and want to merge it with the main one. is it possible??If possible, how?Specs:Acer nitro 5Windows 10Amd 4600H https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-merge/ca9d8b37-08f1-41de-b700-baf5359b25cb
  8. Expanding C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expanding C: drive: Hi,I am running out of space on my C: Drive-and I have tried and searched the internet wisdom, but all answers apply to cases where everything is on the same diskI have 2 separate discs that's how computer came with my purchase-It seems I cannot move allocated partition from...
  9. Expanding volume of my C drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Expanding volume of my C drive: My C drive is full. I have an empty D drive. I have a ton of unallocated space behind the D drive. Has anyone figured out how to get the unallocated storage into my C drive? I tried to delete the D drive, but that isn't allowed. I'm about at wit's end here and would...
  10. Can't expand my primary drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't expand my primary drive.: I recently transferred my data from SSD to SSD one being 250G and to one being 500G this caused my primary drive to be at 210G like on the original 250G drive. I cant expand the drive, when i hover over expand it it gray and i can not click on it. I looked at the post "Unable...