Windows 10: Unable to navigate and open programs

Discus and support Unable to navigate and open programs in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; You guys have had this before I can only imagine but didn't see this thread in this section. I have been fighting an issue for over a month. I think It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mhughes, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Mhughes Win User

Unable to navigate and open programs

You guys have had this before I can only imagine but didn't see this thread in this section. I have been fighting an issue for over a month. I think It started after I resubscribed to Kaspersky a few months ago. Most programs wont open or when they do its 10-15 min to do so. No mouse at times. Unable to acsess start screen on other files. Will get stuck in a restart/shutdown which I will then do a hard reset. After it comes back the issue remains. I am fairly capable of trying different things but have had no luck, chasing "fix's" So far I have tried the following:

-Uninstalled and reinstalled chrome
    -Installed malwarebites and removed 144 "threats" had read Kaspersky and mw bites were competing for CPU so I uninstalled it. currently not on my machine.
    -viewed kasperskys cpu usage in task manager at the most for a moment is 23% typically 3-4%
    -contacted kasperskys support asking about its functionality within windows 10. they had my select an option in settings "concede resources to other programs
    -disabled Kaspersky "protection extension in chrome
    -reset winsock and restarted which worked for a day (yesterday) now back to same.

I think that's it. I had read about an updated driver but got a little confused on which. Also concerned that each "fix" I try is creating a new set of issues. Would be forever in debt for some help. Thanks in advance.

:)

Mhughes, Jan 16, 2016

2. Add app/program to 'Open with' apps list

This is not helpful. Why wouldn't Microsoft apps like Power Point automatically open power point file types without excess difficulty. Programs that are rarely used appear in the open with list and magically, you're unable to navigate to your apps from
    the file folders provided.

IrkedUser2016, Jan 16, 2016
  3. I am unable to open at least 2 programs and getting an error message ......SysRest.dll is missing from the computer

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your concern on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to uninstall the program and then try installing it in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

Step 1: Uninstall the programs.

Refer to the below steps:

• Press Windows + x on the keyboard.

• Select Programs and features.

• Select the Win program uninstaller and IObit uninstaller
      and click on uninstall.

Step 2: Install the program in compatibility mode.

To know how to install a program in compatibility mode, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us if the issue still persists. We are here to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jan 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, sorry to hear of your problems.
    First, let's check the effect of 3rd party programs: what happens if you do a clean boot (including for the sake of it disabling AV protection and disconnecting your internet for safety)?
    How to perform a Clean boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

If no change, also download and install Nirsoft's Shellexview, and a. hide all MS items b. disable the rest.
    This will check the effect of 3rd party shell extensions.

If no change, reverse the above.

Now - if you've not done it previously- from an elevated (admin) command prompt do
    chkdsk c: /F

then
    SFC /scannow
    and post back your results.

Note: Disk imaging is very strongly recommended. A disk image allows you to restore your PC partition/disk exactly as it was when you created the image. So, in under (say) 40 mins, you can restore a PC to how it was, and have the option of replacing a hard disk (for better or new), and have a full backup from which you can recover files.

Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect - free- plus external storage medium + their boot disk.
    Using disk imaging regularly and before and after any major change can preserve your PC and your sanity, allowing you potentially to recover from disaster without technical help.

dalchina, Jan 17, 2016
  5. Mhughes Win User
    Hello! Thank you for the response. After posting this yesterday, I kept working at it. I did find a windows update that had been tired and Failed to monitor spyware etc. I successfully updated that, and then reset the windsock again. After shutdown reboot, I have had no issue really. I am still curious if I have an issue with a 3rd party as you say. Should I continue with your first suggestion anyway? I am ready to do that or move on to the next?

Mhughes, Jan 18, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, rather than trying random things in the hope of fixing what could be anything from system corruption to a driver issue, please try working logically thru the sequence I've suggested.

You need to establish a baseline for your PC. At the present moment we still don't know if your disk sound and your OS files intact.

Once that's done, we can move on and others can also make suggestions.

Note that Win 10 for a few people demonstrates strange symptoms for unexpected reasons, not typical of previous OS versions.

dalchina, Jan 18, 2016
  7. Mhughes Win User
    I have completed everything above, correctly, I believe. There was no change and the following: The final SFC /scannow resulted in finding NO "violations"

After installing Nirsoft's Shellexview and a. hide MS there was one item remaining Kasperspy AV. I unchecked that box and cboot.
    No change after roboot. I am unsure if I reversed the steps correctly. I uninstalled shell. Then went to system config to cboot but didnt have that option.

then I performed SFC /scannow as listed above, finding no violations after scan. No change in current state after clean boot

Mhughes, Jan 19, 2016
  8. Mhughes Win User

Did I not perform this correctly? I am just a tad OCD..and my patience is nothing to be desired. Eager to get this resolved. Would be grateful for your help further..

Mhughes, Jan 21, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, the results are good - in a way.. ok, you've not got your problem solved, but we now know your disk is probably ok, and there's no gross corruption of Windows. So here are the next two logical steps.

So, the next simple test is what happens in Safe Mode?
    You'll probably know that means many drivers and programs are not loaded, in particular your graphics driver.
    (Press SHIFT + click restart in normal mode and follow the prompts to get to Safe Mode)

If Windows functions normally in Safe Mode, the next thing to try is a clean boot:
    How to perform a Clean boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

Here drivers will load, but many programs not.

Post back with the results.

dalchina, Jan 21, 2016
  10. b1rd Win User
    Hey Mhughes,

I noted that you uninstalled Kaspersky.
    I did not read through each reply so I'm not sure if this was addressed, but I wanted to suggest that MalwareBytes alone might not be enough for your 'virus' protection. I think it's meant to be used in conjunction with.. See HERE.

11. Mhughes Win User
    I uninstalled the MWbites, not Kaspersky. I thank you for the comment though!!!

Mhughes, Jan 21, 2016
  12. Mhughes Win User
    In safe mode, I did think it was acting slightly better. I tried to clean boot From safe mode but was unable to access the system config. I assumed my thought was incorrect. I restarted, then went through the Cboot steps. Please note: while going through the Cboot steps I noticed once I came to the task manager portion, the apps in this section were still disabled from the previous Cboot i did at your request. As I mentioned before, i was uncertain if i reversed the steps correctly. Should my mistake play a factor in anything thus far I wanted to let you know...
    I am now in a Cboot state and still feel as though "something" has my machine. Several flashes have taken place where the apps on my desktop flash and disappear for a micro second. Perhaps I am over sensitive now (OCD setting in). The apps/programs effected before did open with a bit more ease, but still doesn't feel 100% right, as it used to. I hope I'm doing this right. I'm pretty damn logical and intelligent, but alot of this stuff has humbled me! HA I am ready for hopefully a next step. Thank You!

e t

Mhughes, Jan 22, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, it takes some experience of having worked through issues to have confidence in which way to go. These are pretty simple common steps so far.

"Most programs wont open or when they do its 10-15 min to do so. No mouse at times. Unable to acsess start screen on other files. Will get stuck in a restart/shutdown which I will then do a hard reset."

What we need to know is whether those basic symptoms disappeared or not when you were in Safe Mode, or after a clean boot. So I'll ask you

Did those symptoms still appear when you were in Safe Mode?
    What strange behaviour did you notice, if any?

Do those symptoms still appear after a clean boot?
    What strange behaviour did you notice, if any?

Please be as exact as you can.

We need a definitive answer as far as you can, as this will determine what to try next. Thanks

dalchina, Jan 22, 2016
  14. Mhughes Win User
    In safe mode last night, it was responsive. My usual issue is with chrome not opening, mouse and start screen. All worked. After the clean boot last night, it also was responsive. Programs opened mouse was up etc. I have found that after a few hours, its right back to the same. I started my machine up this morning and we were right back to before. 10 min startup for Chrome. Start menu and mouse Are working though. I was in the control panel this morning wanting to look at my firewall settings. Not to change any, just to view what was in there. Its been trying to open this window for 15min, with no luck?

The issue didn't appear to be present in safe mode, all be it I was in safe for only 10 min or so. Opening and closing different things. All of them Did function. After clean boot, No. The problem remains. Ex. I had a bluetooth icon show up on the task bar a few moments ago. I tried to open it as I shouldn't have any devices hooked up to it. 5 min later, it opened.
    The only that hasn't happened for your quoted portion of my original post, is the stuck in restart/shutdown loop. It restarts and shutsdown properly. I hope that helps. Next?

Mhughes, Jan 22, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Ok, thanks, so Safe Mode seems ok, but there's a problem if you do a clean boot.

That suggests it's possibly a driver-related problem, assuming your system is clean of viruses etc.
    Make sure you have the minimum of devices connected to your PC.

However, noting that you say things slow down after a while in clean boot mode, could you post screenshots of your task manager when things are slow showing Detailed view, Processes, organised by
    a. highest CPU use
    b. highest memory use
    c. highest disk use

I seem to recall reading of instances where people have reported a leaky process or driver taking up increasing amounts of RAM; another issue has been related to system and compressed memory. Yours could well be different of course.

dalchina, Jan 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Unable to navigate and open programs - Similar Threads - Unable navigate open

2. Unable to open a program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to open a program: Hello, I am having problems with running as administrator. I am the only user on my computer. Its a admin account. When I go to run a programany program, when I right click, it doesn't do anything. Nothing happens. What do i do? [Original Title: Administrator]...
  3. Unable to open programs or apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to open programs or apps: I can't open any programs or apps, I've tried using start and through clicking it through the desktop. It seems like the only app i can open is Google Chrome and Discord, but that might be because theyre startup apps. submitted by /u/Prudent-Flow4720 [link] [comments]...
  4. Windows Unable to open any program.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Unable to open any program.: My computer gets stuck whenever i try to open any program Even command prompt. The computer becomes unresponsive and freezes for few minutes . I can't execute any operation on it . Can i restore my laptop the way it was few days before ? Hope there's any other way to fix it...
  5. Unable to navigate bios

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to navigate bios: Hi, I have just cloned my HDD to a SSD. Fitted the SSD into the laptop but when I switch on I see a message PXE-MOF Exiting Intel PXE ROM If upon startup I press F2 I then enter the bios. I am unable to move across the columns to BIOS as the left right arrows do nothing....
  6. Unable to open Office Starter programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to open Office Starter programs: starting today, and after latest updates and new feature update, unable to use word/excel. My computer has the office starter package, not the full versions. I get Application Virtualization Client could not lauch.. service is not running.. Error caode nis...
  7. Unable to open apps / programs

Unable to open apps / programs: Suddenly a lot of my apps / programs such as windows photo viewer, speed test etc. will not open, I get the following message: We're updating Photos. It should be ready to use shortly. How do I fix?...
  8. Unable to open many programs

Unable to open many programs: For about the last 2 or so weeks, my ability to open programs has decrease. After scanning for bugs and malware with nothing found I tried 3 things recommended online 1. I disabled Windows Firewall and Anti-virus 2. Updated registry for .exe and exefile to "1%"% (typing...
  9. Unable to open software accounting program

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to open software accounting program: When I try to open a software program I am met with the following error message - Error (Server=PETERHOBBS-PC\PTPACCOUNTS, Database=PTPACCTSNEW), Error=[Unspecifiederror], Description = [[DBNETLIB] [ConnectionOpen(Connect()). SQL Server does not exist or access denied.] I...
  10. Unable to open any programs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open any programs in Windows 10: Hi everyone. Recently, I have encountered troubles with Windows 10. I am unable to open any programs, including Chrome or Edge. I can't even Power Down. I have tried to reset my PC, but only comes up with "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes have been...