Windows 10: Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click

Discus and support Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I am unable to open files/folders/browser page with Left click. Started about a week ago. Win10 appears normal with no new updates. All... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click

Hi
    I am unable to open files/folders/browser page with Left click.
    Started about a week ago. Win10 appears normal with no new updates.

All programs open, but files/folders will not open in same window. Left click and Win10 tries to open but the parent file/folder remains in window. Right click - 'Open in new window' - and the file/folder opens as expected.
    Same happens with browser (Edge, Firefox) - initial startup and search is fine but after Google results load, am unable to Left click and load page. Right click and 'Open in new tab' works.

Have tried Restart (all ok for about 30mins and then as above takes over).
    Was unable to System Restore or Uninstall Update (no SR and UU was too old).
    Virus and Malware scans were negative.

Reset Windows10 - no change. Completed a fresh install - no change.
    Went nuclear with DBAN and clean install. No change.
    Have know completed Anniversary Install - seemed OK for about 3 hrs - now the problem is back.
    Have looked all over web for ideas but not getting anywhere.

Have 10+ other comps all Win10 - all on same update cycles - no problems.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

:)

Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016
  2. Arj009 Win User

File explorer not opening on administrator account on Windows 10

Hi,

Having researched this issue on the available suggestions in the Microsoft community, I am stil unable to resolve this.

1. I have run the windows file scan-> no integrity violations

2. Created new user account, file explorer opens correctly through all accounts except the original administrator account

3. As suggested by others, I can open individual word files through word 2010 from a given folder.

4. I can hover the mouse over a folder and see the thumbnails but am unable to open it despite right or left click.

A few other interesting observations:

Last week I had similar issues with opening any internet browser, with the windows constructor update that has got fixed.

Over last few months, I have had to right click and open folders rather than left double-clicking.

I will be grateful for timely help.

thx

Arj

Arj009, Dec 17, 2016
  3. How do you add a Favorites Folder to Edge Favorites Bar?

I have Windows 10 with the MS EDGE browser installed on both a PC and a laptop. I have imported my Favorites from my previous browser and they reside in a folder called "Old Favorites".

Somehow on the PC I was able to place that folder (or a shortcut) in the EDGE Favorites Bar. When I left-click on the folder icon in the favorites bar, it displays a listing of sub-folders in the Old Favorites folder directly below the icon in the Favorites
    Bar (left side of screen). Left-clicking on a sub-folder opens a listing of the saved web pages directly under the Star Symbol (right side of screen) as if the favorites had been displayed by left-clicking the Star Symbol. Left-clicking a saved web page
    opens that page. This works really well for me.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to duplicate this on my laptop. I simply don't remember how I did this on the PC. Oh, and the Old Favorites folder does NOT reside in the Favorites Bar folder - I tried that and it didn't work. I have also tried
    dragging and dropping but dragging to the Favorites Bar is not allowed.

Any I ideas how I can replicate this set-up on the laptop?

rickyradar, Dec 17, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click

I am not sure if I misunderstand something here, but by default a left click is not supposed to open a file or folder. It only selects an item:

Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click [​IMG]

A double click opens an item:

This is default behaviour. If you want to select an item automatically by bringing the pointer on top of it instead of a left click, and open it with single left click, you have to change defaults in Folder Options. See tutorial: Open Items with Single-Click or Double-Click in Windows 10

5. Hi Kari

I use Single Click to open files / folders (changed from Folder Options as you describe).
    I guess another way to describe the problem would be - files/folders/browsers are unable to open in same Window.

There is also a second problem that appears to be connected - once a window is full screen, I am unable to use Minimise, Maximise, Close buttons. The buttons are visible and highlight when selected but nothing happens when clicked. The only option is to Right click icon in Taskbar and select Close/Exit.

Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Have you accidentally set Folder Options to open each folder in its own Window:

7. Yes - that is my preferred option. I have Windows set to open in the same window. This does not work.

If I click on Explorer and open a Folder, it opens.
    If I click on the next level Folder or file, it will not open.

I have just reset back to 'Open in a new window' - and Folders open again. This is not my usual setting.
    All comps have Single click and open in Same Window. Folders will not 'Go Back or Up a level' with mouse clicks.
    If I use Alt + Up, the windows go back / up level.

Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016
  8. Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click

OK - have confirmed that the problem seems to be that I can no longer 'Open in Same Window'.
    This appears to be the same behaviour that is affecting the Browser links as well.

Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016
  9. OK - have confirmed that the problem seems to be that I can no longer 'Open in Same Window'.
    This appears to be the same behaviour that is affecting the Browser links as well.

Still, doesn't seem to explain the Back/Up Level arrows not working?

Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016
  10. OK - have confirmed that the problem seems to be that I can no longer 'Open in Same Window'.

Multiple posts? Showing on my screen as 'Edits' - until posting where they become new posts?

Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016
  11. OK - have confirmed that the problem seems to be that I can no longer 'Open in Same Window'.

Multiple posts? Showing on my screen as 'Edits' - until posting where they become new posts?

---- Edit, not New Post ---- Edit function worked fine on another computer but not this one - the one with all the problems

Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016
  12. Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016
  13. Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click

cmd - sfc /scannow nothing found.
    Ran the two cmds as prompted:
    regsvr32 "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll"
    regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

Have rebooted and everything appears to be working again - difficult to know as it can take up to 3hrs after a reboot for the problem to reappear.
    Late (early) here. Will check again in morning.

Edit to add - Edit working again now too...

Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016
  14. Ok - computer has reverted to faulty settings as above, after sitting idle overnight. Any ideas?

Hojocolaca, Dec 17, 2016
  15. Solved. Faulty USB hub, with mouse attached.
    Hardware can do some weird things.

Hojocolaca, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click

1. Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click - Similar Threads - Unable open file

2. Double-clicking opens folders but not files

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-clicking opens folders but not files: When I double-click on a folder, the folder opens. Good. But when I double-click on a file or document for the first time, it doesn't open (i.e., it doesn't launch the application to read that file). Instead, the filename is shaded and there's a box around the filename as if...
  3. When i left click my mouse to open any file/folder is deletes.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    When i left click my mouse to open any file/folder is deletes.: Ok, so I have lost a lot of files due to my mouse deleteing stuff when left clicking! at first I thought it was a virus and I had already lost everything anyways so just did a factory reset..... it didn't help, so I moved on to troubleshooting ive tried 3 different programs...
  4. Mouse opens browser when i right and left click.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse opens browser when i right and left click.: my problem started a while ago like 2018 i have already tried resetting my pc from a flash drive but the problem is still there what i know about it is that when i turn off human interfaces the mouse doesn't open tabs but i cant left click while holding right click and that...
  5. When i hold right click and press left click a browser opens

When i hold right click and press left click a browser opens: Ive been trying to figure out how to fix the problem bit cant find a solution my mouse woeks fine when im running safe mode and i also tried didsabling human interfaces in task manager but then when i hold right and keft click the left click wont register the only other...
  6. Unable to open folders when I double click.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open folders when I double click.: Except for photos, whenever I double click on a file in a folder, I get the rotating donut and the file never opens. This happens for Word, PPT, Excel at least. It's not the mouse since doube click on photos in the folders opens the photo up immediately. It also happens...
  7. Items on desktop will not open on left click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Items on desktop will not open on left click: Items on desktop will not open on left click, must right click and select OPEN. Same probl;em on multiple PCs, began all at once on all PCs. Same problems on Windows Live Mail --- clicking on an email will not open it. Also on other apps, for example, trying to open a file...
  8. Windows 10 Right Click on Left Click on Certain Pages

Windows 10 Right Click on Left Click on Certain Pages: On certain integrated pages (namely Device Manager, Task Manager, and the search bar on the top right of control panel) my right click menu appears whenever I left click. It is almost as if my right click is bound to both of my mouse buttons. This is not a problem with my...
  9. Browser crash / Unable to right click or open files / computer freeze

in Browsers and Email
    Browser crash / Unable to right click or open files / computer freeze: So for a bit now, perhaps a week, my computer has been acting weird. I haven't made any big changes(or at all I think) lately and don't know what's causing it. So what happends? I'll be doing stuff on my browser(Chrome, but I also tried Firefox and the problem persisted)...
  10. Left click won't open folders all of a sudden...

in Windows 10 Support
    Left click won't open folders all of a sudden...: Yesterday, out of the blue, I was no longer able to left click on a folder to open it. If I right click and then choose open, it will open. I get the error message: [img] I have not made any changes lately and I don't know what could cause this as I have never...