Windows 10: Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager

Discus and support Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The other day my computer was refusing to open some pop-up windows in Google Chrome so I restarted it. It hung in the restart window with the spinning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tglew, Feb 15, 2017.

1. tglew Win User

Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager

The other day my computer was refusing to open some pop-up windows in Google Chrome so I restarted it. It hung in the restart window with the spinning circle for a significant period of time so I was forced to shut down.

Upon restarting, I get to my desktop and my cursor is active but if I click on any desktop icons the circle just spins. If I click on the Start Menu the icon just darkens but menu doesn't open. And if I Ctrl + Alt + Del and select Task Manager, it takes me back to the desktop but nothing opens.

I have tried restarting and shutting down (having to do both via Ctrl + Alt + Del) and the computer will just hang with the circle spinning.

The machine is quite old and I've had minor problems throughout the way, but nothing like this. Any thoughts?

:)

tglew, Feb 15, 2017
  2. Arun B J Win User

Can't open programs in task bar or start menu

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue

Method 1

Disable Antivirus and security-related products, if you have any Antivirus installed for (Free) uninstall it, if not then disable the Antivirus, try again to update and check if issue is resolved.

Note: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software
    and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks

• Restart your PC and check if it works.
    Method 2: Perform clean boot

Check if the issue persists, in safe mode.

Safe mode steps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab02

If the issue does not persist in safe mode, then perform a clean boot to from safe mode to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problem by performing clean boot in Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Feb 15, 2017
  3. Can't open programs in task bar or start menu

I recently purchased an HP Envy m6 laptop from my local computer store and had it upgraded to Windows 10. When I first got it I could access the start menu and all of the programs in my task bar just fine, but now I can't open any of them (battery center,
    notifications, Internet connections, volume). I also can't use the search bar next to the start menu. The other programs such as Google Chrome and Media Player still work. I've tried restarting the computer which did nothing.

Heather Alfano, Feb 15, 2017
  4. Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager

tglew,

Welcome to TenForums!

Can you get to Advanced Startup Options by holding the Shift key and selecting Restart from the Power menu?

If so, select: Advanced Startup Options > Choose an option > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore

Try a System Restore to a point in time before the problem began.

cottonball, Feb 15, 2017
  5. tglew Win User
    Unable to shift click the restart button. It's been "Restarting" and just spinning all day.

tglew, Feb 16, 2017
  6. tglew,

Please try shutting down the computer pressing the Power button. You may have to press it for 15-20 seconds until it eventually shuts down.

Now, press the Power button to turn on the PC, and, just as Windows starts to load (round dots rotating), press and hold the power button down until it turns off.

Repeat the same actions two more times, and, on the third try, instead of the round dots, the PC show 'Please wait...' and then boots into Recovery mode. At this screen, press the following button: See Advanced Repair Options

On the Choose an option screen, click: Troubleshoot > next window click: Advanced Options, and at the next window click: System Restore

Give System Restore a whirl and let us know what develops.

cottonball, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager

1. Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager - Similar Threads - Unable open Start

2. Programs not opening but show on task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs not opening but show on task manager: This has been persisting on my computer for a while now and it's affecting a few of my applications. When I click on some programs, it just won't open. But I look at task manager and see that it's running in the background.I have looked at many resources about this and tried...
  3. Programs not opening but show on task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs not opening but show on task manager: This has been persisting on my computer for a while now and it's affecting a few of my applications. When I click on some programs, it just won't open. But I look at task manager and see that it's running in the background.I have looked at many resources about this and tried...
  4. Task Manager unable to open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager unable to open.: Hi, I've tried opening Task Manager by using Ctrl+Alt+Del, Taskbar and from cmd.None of these have worked, and there's no error to put up, just a blue circle for a second.I've also tried running sfc /scannow, DISM and registry but these also haven't been working.Is there a...
  5. Task Manager unable to open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager unable to open.: Hi, I've tried opening Task Manager by using Ctrl+Alt+Del, Taskbar and from cmd.None of these have worked, and there's no error to put up, just a blue circle for a second.I've also tried running sfc /scannow, DISM and registry but these also haven't been working.Is there a...
  6. Task Manager unable to open.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Unable to Access Start Menu or Any Windows Logo task

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Access Start Menu or Any Windows Logo task: I have been having troubles with my Windows 10 device past couple of days. Several BSODs. Ran Startup Repair this morning, when the device froze at the login screen. Device can boot up now, but even more problems. Clicking on Windows icon to access Start menu and switch...
  8. Taskbar and start menu are unresponsive on desktop and task manager will not open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar and start menu are unresponsive on desktop and task manager will not open: Title says it all. Taskbar won’t even load app icons. I only have recycle bin on my front page so I don’t know if apps like chrome would even open, but when I open the bin and try to navigate to my files it’s goes unresponsive. Right clicking does not do anything on the...
  9. Unwanted programs starting (no Task Manager)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unwanted programs starting (no Task Manager): Whenever I start Windows 10, early on in the boot cycle I get a Firefox Window. As the system continues to initialize the Firefox window slowly come to life, though sometimes not fully. I've checked all the obvious places, Task Manager, c;\users\user_name\AppData\Roaming...
  10. Start Menu, Task Manager, Programs wont launch

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu, Task Manager, Programs wont launch: Hey all - After about 15-20 minutes of use my computer starts acting strangely. The Start Menu, Task Manager, and Programs wont launch, nothing works. If I have something open (Game/Browser/Whatever) whatever is open continues to function just fine. The computer wont restart...