Windows 10: Unable to open Windows Defender

Discus and support Unable to open Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; While I was away someone tried to make changes to my system. I am trying to enable Defender, but I receive the attached message; [img] I am the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by benton, Nov 20, 2016.

1. benton Win User

Unable to open Windows Defender

While I was away someone tried to make changes to my system. I am trying to enable Defender, but I receive the attached message;
    Unable to open Windows Defender [​IMG]

I am the administrator.

:)

benton, Nov 20, 2016
  2. TAWAKAL Win User

WINDOWS DEFENDER FOR WINDOWS 10---UNABLE TO OPEN--ERROR MESSAGE Ox8050900c

unable to open windows defender --it is being used antivirus -no other antivirus used

ALSO WINDOWS DEFENDER OFFLINE IS NOT WORKNG

TAWAKAL, Nov 20, 2016
  3. windows defender wont turn on

when i open windows defender red x warning saying windows defender turned off unable to turn on

mandygodfrey, Nov 20, 2016
  4. Unable to open Windows Defender

Hi:

See here:
    Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

But the more fundamental (and worrisome) question: who accessed your system while you were away?
    The reason I ask is that it's possible that this person may have made other changes that compromised your security, personal information, etc.
    I'm not trying to create fear or paranoia, just mentioning it, in case you want help checking the system...

MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 20, 2016
  5. benton Win User
    Hi MM; I'll let you know how I made out tomorrow, after making a printout and reading all instructions. I'm not too worried about someone accessing my system - I've made an image just in case, but I will put in a password to my account. Thanks again.

benton, Nov 20, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    Also, if another AntiVirus program was installed, or attempted to be installed, it could have turned off Windows Defender. I've found it usually gets restored when Uninstalling any other AV program. Sometimes have to go to Control Panel, Windows Defender to turn it on.

Berton, Nov 20, 2016
  7. Excellent ideas.
    If someone else accessed the computer, who knows what they might have installed.

If WD is disabled by Group Policy, however, would one be able to enable it merely via the Windows CP, or would one not have to reverse the GP edit or registry change?
    <just asking, trying to learn>
    FWIW, on my Win10 box running KIS, the WD settings are grayed out. I do not even get a way to try to enable it.
    And I do not see the GP message, either, even though I am on Win10 Pro and have other GP edits in place.

So I guess my question is: when one installs a 3rd-party AV that disables WD, does it generate that GP edit message or does it just disable WD and make its settings inaccessible?

Ennywho, @benton, please let us know how it goes.*Smile

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 20, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

I believe the installation routines make the change, mainly based on the fact the Home version of Windows don't have the Group Policy Editor [not usually needed] and in turn should change things back when uninstalled. As has been noted in many posts the uninstall routines can go awry, necessitate other procedures to clean them up.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to open Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Unable open Defender

2. Windows Defender Not Opening

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Not Opening: Hey,I am a fellow user. My System was very overhrating since 2 days. So i felt suspicious and checked task manager but there was nothing then tried to windows defender it started but crashed on the stating bluesreen with the logo on it. Then i restarted and pc.. The as soon...
  3. Windows Defender not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender not opening: Hi,I am having windows defender in the apps list, but still does not open...whenever is click it, it gives me the following message:-How can i solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-not-opening/8690741c-3c67-498b-a594-3ebc10c1289e
  4. Windows Defender will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender will not open: Hello Windows Defender does not open after updating Windows, and by clicking on the icon it shows an error you need a new program to open this Windows Defender link...
  5. Windows Defender will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender will not open: Hello Windows Defender does not open after updating Windows, and by clicking on the icon it shows an error you need a new program to open this Windows Defender link...
  6. Windows defender not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender not opening: Hello there, A couple of weeks ago, I have upgraded to Windows 11 as part of the insider program and I want to turn off VBS because it doesn't perform very well. When trying to disable VBS, I ran into a problem with Windows Security where it would open for a second with a...
  7. Windows defender not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender not opening: Hello there, A couple of weeks ago, I have upgraded to Windows 11 as part of the insider program and I want to turn off VBS because it doesn't perform very well. When trying to disable VBS, I ran into a problem with Windows Security where it would open for a second with a...
  8. Unable to open Windows Defender

Unable to open Windows Defender: Can anyone help me? When I try to open windows defender from the start menu on windows 11 it doesn't open. When I go from the settings and try to open it, it goes on the Microsoft storeIt says:"You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link". I don't know why this...
  9. unable to open windows settings or turn on windows defender

unable to open windows settings or turn on windows defender: I recently tried to install a mod for a game i was playing and well, it was a virus. I deleted yet i still can't turn on windows defender and when i try to open any settings it closes the window. I resorted to a full system restart and yet again, closed it right away. I can't...
  10. Windows Defender Will Not Open

Windows Defender Will Not Open: I am using Windows 10. Today, I downloaded a picture from a Google search. My computer froze immediately afterwards. I tried to open Windows Defender to run a security check. Nothing happened. I tried several different ways to open it and all resulted in nothing happening so...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to open windows security

2. why is my system unable to open windows defender