Windows 10: Unable to Partition

Discus and support Unable to Partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had recently gotten my laptop's hard drive replaced. I had to restore the factory drivers via the recovery disc I had got along with the notebook. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BrijeshSinghal, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Unable to Partition

I had recently gotten my laptop's hard drive replaced. I had to restore the factory drivers via the recovery disc I had got along with the notebook. I upgraded to Windows 10 the instant I had finished restoring. And here's where my problem starts. I have a 1 Terabyte HDD, which at first had all the space allotted to the C Drive. I have been able to partition 50% of the space but still the size of the C drive remains 500 GB with me unable to partition it further. Along with that, various unnamed partitions appear in the disk management. Here's the screenshot:

Unable to Partition [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

BrijeshSinghal, Mar 6, 2016
  2. Gautham M Win User

Clearing space in the System Reserved Partition

I used a software to backup my phone and the data got stored into my laptop's System Reserved Partition. I am on windows 10 but am unable to update my PC (error: couldn't update system reserved partition). I was able to explore the contents of the partition
    using Minitool Partition Wizard. Is there any way to delete the folder where the backup got stored? I am unable to do it using the software I used to backup. Can someone please tell me if there is any way to access this partition?

Gautham M, Mar 6, 2016
  3. unable to install win 10 fr win 8.1 due to being unable to update system reserved partition - i can't be the only one with this problem.

i am unable to extend/expand the system reserved partition through any paid & free utility partition applications. this is crazy! thanks in advance.

charleseitel, Mar 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Unable to Partition

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  5. BrijeshSinghal, Mar 6, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The program itself is safer than built-in Windows disk management. But the program will allow YOU to delete partitions that you shouldn't. When you click apply after resizing the C: drive partition, MiniTool will tell you it has to reboot to do it and then before loading Windows MiniTool will resize the partition. That's normal.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  7. Right, so are the unnamed partitions safe to delete? Also, why does it show me two partitions named Recovery which when clicked upon, refer to the same partition? Also, if I shrink the C Drive with the tool, will it be safe?

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Unable to Partition

It is safe to shrink the C: drive. You will have to post an expanded view of disk management to be able to offer advice as to which partitions you can delete:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  9. Oh okay, here it is :

By the way, I really appreciate you helping me out here. *Smile

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    One more thing, to tell which recovery partition is active. From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt, type:

reagentc /info

post the results, please. That will tell us which recovery partition is active.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  11. Here it is :

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Damn you're fast!

According to everything seen:

The first 400MB recovery partition is obsolete, not in use. You can delete it.

The EFI partition is the partition the computer boots from. You can move that to the very front of the disk after you delete the 400MB recovery partition. If there is a "MSR" partition that MiniTool shows you which is not on disk management, you can delete it. It is "reserved for future use" and no one has had any problems after deleting it.

You know what the next two partitions are.

The 493MB partition is the active recovery partition. If you delete it then you won't have the advanced troubleshooting menu that you get if you have problems - such as reset this computer, enter bios, boot from another device. I would leave that one there.

The last partition contains the image that will be used if you select the option to reset this PC. Performing reset this PC with that partition there will more than likely take you back to the factory installed software. It is up to you if you want to delete it or not. Delete it and the only way to reset your PC back to some kind of initial state will be to clean install Windows 10 from an install USB/DVD or restore the computer from a factory restore USB/DVD.

If you decide to delete that partition, then you can move the 493mb recovery partition to the end of the drive. As long as you don't desperately need that 24.55 GB of space, I would leave that partition there as it is being recognized by Windows 10 as containing a factory restore image.

If it were my computer, I would only delete the first partition, move the EFI partition to the front of the disk, delete any "MSR" partition if MiniTool showed one, leave the last two partitions there, and adjust the C: and E: drive partitions to the sizes I wanted. I would also remove the drive letter "D:" from the recovery partition and assign "D:" to the data partition after the C: drive partition.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  13. Unable to Partition

A couple of things, I don't understand the meaning of moving the partitions to the front and the end of the disk, sorry. *Sad Second, the MiniTool shows one more partition (Not MSR). Here's the screenshot :

Will simply resetting the Windows solve the problem? Since I can do reset as I haven't done much work from the time I upgraded.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    The 128MB reserved partition is the "MSR" partition I mentioned. If your only problem that you are trying to correct is that you can't shrink C: drive any more - just using MiniTool Partition Wizard to shrink it will do it. You don't have to change anything other than the program you are using to adjust your partition size.

Windows built-in disk management will only shrink the OS partition down to the size when it hits the first system file in use by Windows. It won't let you shrink past that last file, whatever it happens to be. MiniTool Partition Wizard will overcome that limitation by rebooting the computer and running before Windows loads so that it can move system files out of the way to shrink the OS partition.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  15. Okay, thanks a ton for helping me out! I'll delete the MSR partition and the OBS partition and shrink the C Drive. Thanks a ton again!

BrijeshSinghal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to Partition

1. Unable to Partition - Similar Threads - Unable Partition

2. Unable to boot into windows 10 after removing bootable partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot into windows 10 after removing bootable partition: Due to a previous unrelated problem, I had cloned my primary SSD onto another of the same size 1tb. I then wiped my primary drive and reinstalled windows 10 onto it. After copying files across from my secondary SSD to my primary, I eventually got around to wiping my secondary...
  3. Unable to boot into windows 10 after removing bootable partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot into windows 10 after removing bootable partition: Due to a previous unrelated problem, I had cloned my primary SSD onto another of the same size 1tb. I then wiped my primary drive and reinstalled windows 10 onto it. After copying files across from my secondary SSD to my primary, I eventually got around to wiping my secondary...
  4. Unable to boot into windows 10 after removing bootable partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now: I switched my laptops hdd to ssd and converted the HDD to external hard drive but was unable to get rid of the partitions and windows installed on it. Initially it used to work but it was kinda slow. But now the partition containing windows doesn't open up and other drives...
  6. converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now

converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now: I switched my laptops hdd to ssd and converted the HDD to external hard drive but was unable to get rid of the partitions and windows installed on it. Initially it used to work but it was kinda slow. But now the partition containing windows doesn't open up and other drives...
  7. Deleted Ubuntu partition. Now the space shows as "unallocated". Unable to create a new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted Ubuntu partition. Now the space shows as "unallocated". Unable to create a new...: When I try to right click and create a "new simple volume" , I get an error that says there is not enough disk space. I also tried reinstalling Ubuntu to check if I can install again on this disk space. How can I get back this disk space/reinstall on this unallocated space?...
  8. Deleted Ubuntu partition. Now the space shows as "unallocated". Unable to create a new...

Deleted Ubuntu partition. Now the space shows as "unallocated". Unable to create a new...: When I try to right click and create a "new simple volume" , I get an error that says there is not enough disk space. I also tried reinstalling Ubuntu to check if I can install again on this disk space. How can I get back this disk space/reinstall on this unallocated space?...
  9. Unable to further partition disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to further partition disk: I have 58 gb free, yet I can't partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-further-partition-disk/ced15810-821b-4cc6-bef6-21af07a9d16d
  10. Unable to further partition disk

Unable to further partition disk: I have 58 gb free, yet I can't partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-further-partition-disk/ced15810-821b-4cc6-bef6-21af07a9d16d