Windows 10: Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services

Discus and support Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A little background first, I downloaded a file and started to install it when Defender caught the virus, but didn't contain it. So I downloaded... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gzt7d8, Feb 2, 2015.

1. gzt7d8 Win User

Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services

A little background first, I downloaded a file and started to install it when Defender caught the virus, but didn't contain it. So I downloaded Malwarebytes to scan and remove the virus.

After I loaded Malwarebytes I noticed I wasn't getting anymore Windows Defender definitions but I noticed the Windows Defender services were stopped and I figured Malwarebytes stopped it and that was the reason I wasn't getting anymore updates on Defender.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes but now I can't restart Windows Defender.

If I got to Control Panel then Security and Maintenance window. Both buttons to turn on Defender are grayed out.

Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services [​IMG]

If I search for Windows Defender in the search window on the task bar. This is the result I get.

And lastly, if I go into Task Manager Services, there are 2 entries for Windows Defender, both are stopped. If I try to restart them this is the message I get.

So is there anything I can do to restart the app or does it require more drastic steps such as reload 9926?

:)

gzt7d8, Feb 2, 2015
  2. reginaYM Win User

WINDOWS DEFENDER ADVANCED THREAT PROTECTION

I am unable to start the Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection. It begins to start but almost immediately stops.

I get a message from Services that reads:

"The Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

I don't understand that. Of course it's not in use because I'm unable to start it.

I wanted to include a screen shot but I don't know how to upload it. Would like directions.

Thank you.

reginaYM, Feb 2, 2015
  3. Windows Defender

Enable Windows Defender:

Open Start, type: regedit

Right click regedit

Click Run as administrator

Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService

and modify the Start value from 4 to 2. Restart your computer to re-enable the Windows Defender Security Center Service.

Press Windows key + R

Type: services.msc

Hit Enter

Scroll down to Windows Defender Security Service

Make sure the Windows Defender Security Service is running.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 2, 2015
  4. Berkey Win User

Head over to Services and make sure windows defender service is on. Not sure if the virus could have altered any settings in there, but worth a look.

Berkey, Feb 5, 2015
  5. badrobot Win User
    This is a common issue with Windows 10. If you install a third party AV or any security software, it breaks Defender and render it useless. The only solution is either to restore an image if you have one or re-install Win 10. Don't ask me why. But that's the way it is.

badrobot, Feb 5, 2015
  6. rvbfan Win User
    This really does seem to be the case. I found this myself, reinstall was the only solution I found to work.

rvbfan, Feb 5, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    I just encounter the same issue but for some reason I was able to just turn defender back on and it's working just fine now. It could be that the AV I was trying to install was not compatible yet and since it didn't fully install it allowed me to just turn defender back on.. just a thought.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 5, 2015
  8. gzt7d8 Win User

That's what posted in the first message that i couldn't restart it.

"And lastly, if I go into Task Manager Services, there are 2 entries for Windows Defender, both are stopped. If I try to restart them this is the message I get. "

So I guess I'm stuck to either get something else or reinstall it. I've looked for this answer elsewhere and was unsuccessful.

Even there is no solution that I've gotten, I'll make this as Solved for now.

gzt7d8, Feb 5, 2015
  9. I've installed mbam premium three or four times and never had an issue with defender borking so I doubt it's to blame here,

But yes I did install Panda and it did the same thing disabled defender,
    Refresh install with the same flash media fixed the issue with defender but with a virus... I would clean install.

ThrashZone, Feb 6, 2015
  10. Check registry, if those items are set to 2.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MpsSvc]
    "Start"=dword:00000002
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdNisSvc]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend]

TairikuOkami, Feb 6, 2015
  11. gzt7d8 Win User
    Answer to your question, here are the results I found:
    MpsSvc] "Start"=dword:00000002 Yes this is set to the value of 2

WdNisSvc] "Start"=dword:00000002 No this is set to the value of 3

WinDefend] "Start"=dword:00000002 No this is set to the value of 3

So is that telling you there needs to be a correction?

Thanks,

gzt7d8, Feb 9, 2015
  12. Give it a try, 3 is Manual, 2 is Automatic service startup.

TairikuOkami, Feb 9, 2015
  13. gzt7d8 Win User

Well, it didn't like me trying to change the value.

gzt7d8, Feb 10, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    Try: Open an elevated Command Prompt and type: sc start WinDefend Enable and press Enter.

Edwin, Feb 10, 2015
  15. gzt7d8 Win User
    And my woes continue....

This failed, per the response.

gzt7d8, Feb 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services - Similar Threads - Unable Start Defender

2. Unable to Start Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to Start Windows Defender: Plz anyone help for this error I am not able to enable my antivirus[Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/unable-to-start-windows-defender/92318026-deb8-4ea6-8230-11eac6bd9b49
  3. Windows Defender Service unable to start

Windows Defender Service unable to start: Enabled the Group Policy on Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows DefenderTurn off Windows Defender = EnabledChange the registry value of windefend Start value for service to 0x4 hex 4, decimal 4....
  4. Unable to start Windows defender

Unable to start Windows defender: I had installed a third party Antivirus in my Laptop and now its expired and I have already uninstalled it. I am still unable to start my Windows defender. I tried few steps like Enabling Windows Defender from Group Policy, Deleting conflicting Registry Entry, Restarting...
  5. Unable to start Windows Defender Service

Unable to start Windows Defender Service: Hello guys. Recently I have been getting Windows Defender errors that say the service couldn't be started.[ATTACH]And this error is very annoying since this is my only Anti-Virus on my laptop and I don't feel like getting another Anti-Virus. Please help me...
  6. Re-enable Windows Defender Service

Re-enable Windows Defender Service: I'm not sure how it happened but in my attempt to disable windows defender I got it disabled but when I try to re-enable it it says I don't have permission to do that. I could not disable the services via services.msc so I used autoruns and was able to disable it from there....
  7. Windows Defender Service service failed to start

Windows Defender Service service failed to start: Hello, I have a server 2016 on which I am unable to start the Windefend service. I'm getting an error upon starting the service in the System log: "The Windows Defender Service service failed to start due to the following error: Windows cannot verify the digital...
  8. Unable to start Windows Defender,

Unable to start Windows Defender,: running Windows 10 on a stand alone PC, infected since running a possible malware. Have been using licensed McAfee and Kaspersky AV programs as an alternate. Windows Defender does not run even on the offline scan option [ATTACH]...
  9. Unable to start Windows Defender service

Unable to start Windows Defender service: My Defender service has stopped working. Description of behaviour is below. In the security settings, it says the service has stopped. There is a button to restart but clicking it returns an error message. Unexpected error, it appears there is a problem, try again later :...
  10. Unable to start Windows Defender service

Unable to start Windows Defender service: My Defender service has stopped working. Description of behaviour is below. In the security settings, it says the service has stopped. There is a button to restart but clicking it returns an error message. Unexpected error, it appears there is a problem, try again later :...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender advanced threat protection service access is denied

2. unable to start windows defender advanced threat protection service. error message: the service name is invalid.

3. [error id: 15 error level: 1] unable to start windows defender advanced threat protection service. error message: the service name is invalid.

4. unable to restart windows defender,
  5. i am unable to use windows defender,
  6. www.windowsphoneinfo.com,
  7. windows defender advanced threat protection errors starts and stops by something ese,
  8. unable to start windows defender advanced threat protection service access denied,
  9. windows defender atp the service name is invalid,
  10. windows defender advanced threat protection service and acces is denied while trying to restart,
  11. Windows Defender Advanced Threat protection service access denied,
  12. the windows defender advanced threat protection service service on local computer started and then stopped. some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.,
  13. windows defender advanced threat protection service access denied can not start,
  14. not able to start windows defender from services,
  15. unable to restart windows defender service