Windows 10: unable to read file on USB key

Discus and support unable to read file on USB key in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello My daughter bring me an USB key where no file could be read. PC does recognize the 4 partitions, but when I try to read them, an error message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by arjfca, Jul 11, 2016.

1. arjfca Win User

unable to read file on USB key

Hello

My daughter bring me an USB key where no file could be read. PC does recognize the 4 partitions, but when I try to read them, an error message say "Insert disk" I did try with CHKDSK: An error message say unable to access the drive

I tried with RECOVA: application to recover data, again, a message Not able to open the drive.

Anything I can do more?

Martin

:)

arjfca, Jul 11, 2016
  2. Ville1955 Win User

Windows anniversary update USB problem

During the automatic upgrade to the anniversary update, my mass storage key was left in the usb port, after the update I seem to have lost all the data on the key, at first there were two entries in file explorer for the usb drive. this now mysteriously
    has returned just to show the one entry.

Until I can get to another computer to check if the file I need is still on the usb key I am not sure if there is a problem reading the key or if the update actually deleted what was on the usb key, there was no problem before the update.

Ville1955, Jul 11, 2016
  3. 7thSense Win User
    how to read pdf file transfered via usb

This is not currently possible. Email the PDF file to yourself instead (or upload it to your OneDrive account).

7thSense, Jul 11, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Was it used on a Mac or some other non-windows device ?

CountMike, Jul 11, 2016
  5. arjfca Win User
    Flash drive was use on PC.

Martin

arjfca, Jul 11, 2016
  6. TrustMe Win User
    You could try making a live Linux DVD or USB and see if Linux can read the flash drive. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are very popular distributions. I used this program to make my USB flash drive but if you do a Google search you will find many others.

Universal USB Installer Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

TrustMe, Jul 11, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    I've seen the problem exist when the user didn't properly remove the drive using the icon in the Notification Area [may need to click the Up arrow to see it] or the Eject link in File Explorer. Windows may not have been completely through with the drive and using those functions ensures it is or prompts if not.

Berton, Jul 11, 2016
  8. cpdump Win User

You can use TestDisk to retrieve files from damaged USB key depending of how bad the error is. It's a good tool even if UI is text based. On the same site you have also a tool to retreive photos/videos.

cpdump, Aug 7, 2016
  9. Format the drive .. this is the only way to read the drive.
    Now run Recova.. with deep scan.. may take hours to complete .. but is your only chance

manish9009, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. unable to read file on USB key - Similar Threads - unable read file

2. usb read

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb read: why my window connote read my usb external hard disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-read/71d95479-8e61-4c1f-928f-c4fa4e1f8d21
  3. usb read

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb read: why my window connote read my usb external hard disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-read/71d95479-8e61-4c1f-928f-c4fa4e1f8d21
  4. Unable to read Windows 7 product key sticker

Unable to read Windows 7 product key sticker: Hello,i have HP Pavilion DV6 notebook with preinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, recently my hard disk failed to start.I also realized that my sticker with product key is teared and i have only first 10 signs my product key. Could You help me recreate my product key...
  5. install windows 8.1 grub USB unable to read...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    install windows 8.1 grub USB unable to read...: so for some reason when i stick the USB into the computer which was wiped when i got it it doesn't do anything even when i type USB it still says "usb devices:" nothing and i tried a lot of stuff but it would give me an error.i am just trying to get Windows 8.1 on to the...
  6. install windows 8.1 grub USB unable to read...

install windows 8.1 grub USB unable to read...: so for some reason when i stick the USB into the computer which was wiped when i got it it doesn't do anything even when i type USB it still says "usb devices:" nothing and i tried a lot of stuff but it would give me an error.i am just trying to get Windows 8.1 on to the...
  7. Unable to read...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to read...: Hello, I wanted to read the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run32 which has values of Enable/Diable during startup,WHen i run it with Command line it works,but i am trying to do programitcally via labview,the key is...
  8. unable to read exFAT on USB stick

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to read exFAT on USB stick: I have a Lenovo Yoga 520, 64-bit, Windows 10 Home. I have inserted a 128GB USB that has exFAT files on it. The laptop identifies the USB as drive E, but shows no files. Properties for the USB shows: Used space 768kb Free space 117GB There is supposed to be a .exe file...
  9. Windows 10 autounattend file - unable to read product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 autounattend file - unable to read product key: I've tried only creating an answer file with just the product key and it works with no issues however when I try to follow the guide here -> Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 i am getting "unable to read product key" not quite sure where i'm making...
  10. Stuck on Windows 10 Answer File: Unable to read Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck on Windows 10 Answer File: Unable to read Product Key: So, I've been tinkering with answer files for unattended installs. I'm doing a test before I start applying them to image roll-outs. I've re-made my autounattend.xml about 7 times now. it's quite frustration. I have the generic Windows 10 Pro key in the file, but it refuses...