Windows 10: Unable to reduce size of app window

Discus and support Unable to reduce size of app window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using Internet explorer 11 with Windows 10 pro 64 bit. I am referring to the controls in the upper right corner of the webpage window (the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bill92, Oct 9, 2015.

1. bill92 Win User

Unable to reduce size of app window

I am using Internet explorer 11 with Windows 10 pro 64 bit.

I am referring to the controls in the upper right corner of the webpage window (the minus sign, the overlapping squares and the "X" symbols). The minus sign and the X do what they are supposed to do. The overlapping squares symbol is completely inert when it is clicked. Thus all I have is a full screen or no screen at all. I thought this was a browser issue, but I got the same dead overlapping squares when I used a third party browser. So I am thinking this is an operating system problem, perhaps the new Universal Windows Platform. I have been using Windows 10 since August. This inability to reduce a page window size started three days ago. Could have been an update or perhaps something I did.

Can you advise me how to activate the window size reduction control?

:)

bill92, Oct 9, 2015

2. How to reduce size of window boarders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if this helps:

Method1: Try to uninstall and re-install the Display drivers.

You may follow these steps to uninstall and reinstall the Display drivers:

• Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard and type “devmgmt.msc” in the “Run” Command box and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Device Manager” window, search for the Display drivers, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device
      you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.
    Method 2: You can try installing the drivers in compatibility mode and check if this helps:

• Press the ‘Windows key on the keyboard.
    • Type compatibility in the search box and then press
      enter
    • Click “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” option from the list appeared in the left side.
    • Select the drivers and install.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Oct 9, 2015
  3. FordLadd Win User
    How to reduce size of window boarders

After updating from W7-64 Pro to W10-64, the boarders for all applications, like Word, Adobe, Outlook, etc, doubled or tripled in size, with pop ups for printing expanding to larger than the entire screen.

How may I reduce the size of these boarders. Thank you.

FordLadd, Oct 9, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Sorry just not getting what you mean by overlapping squares. Then full screen or no screen at all. Anyone to take a screen capture of what you are noticing and post here ?

jds63, Oct 9, 2015
  5. bill92 Win User
    If you look up in the extreme right hand corner of this display screen you will see what I am
    talking about. The minus sign hides this screen, the X deletes the screen and the symbol between the two is overlapping squares which is supposed to reduce the page's window. My problem is nothing happens when I click the overlapping squares. I am left with a full page window or nothing.

bill92, Oct 9, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Unable to reduce size of app window [​IMG]

Bill grab an edge of the window and pull/slide it to size when the 2 squares are a single one.

Cliff S, Oct 9, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    You know i thought of saying that, but assumed they knew how to do that or was not what he meant exactly .

jds63, Oct 10, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

For some it might not be so obvious, The question was written quite non-techy, so I gave it a shot. I have gotten frustrated once, then remembered I had maximized the screen by dragging, and couldn't get a "grip" on an edge, then finally remember I could use Aero-snap(*Start+*Arrow)

Cliff S, Oct 10, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Yes, definitely not explained well, have to wait for a response. Did not realize this worked on Windows 10 Aero snap, same as Task View if you check .

jds63, Oct 10, 2015
  10. julie Win User
    I don't know how to use these forums, so I didn't do this quote right.....
    "I am referring to the controls in the upper right corner of the webpage window (the minus sign, the overlapping squares and the "X" symbols). The minus sign and the X do what they are supposed to do. The overlapping squares symbol is completely inert when it is clicked. Thus all I have is a full screen or no screen at all. I thought this was a browser issue, but I got the same dead overlapping squares when I used a third party browser. So I am thinking this is an operating system problem, perhaps the new Universal Windows Platform. I have been using Windows 10 since August. This inability to reduce a page window size started three days ago. Could have been an update or perhaps something I did."

I totally understand what Bill is saying. I've been using Windows 10 for several months, and last week everything changed. Like Bill, I was making some changes to Chrome, managing Bookmarks, syncing Google products to work on all computers/browsers, no matter where I was, and also during that time there was an update that took place, so I don't know what caused the problem. Here is a screen shot:

We are talking about the boxes in the red square. It is locked in "maximize" or full screen and there is no way you can resize the screen by dragging any arrows, or the Aero thing you talked about above.

Also at the same time this happened my whole desktop changed from having icons on the front to a grid view like below.

This is a pain in the neck.... I feel like my hands are tied and I can't get anything done. *Mad

Do you know of a GOOD remote service, that I could have remote into my computer to fix it? I have a TON of work to do, and can't make things work like normal. Actually, all of my programs look a little different.

Thanks for your help.

julie, Mar 19, 2016
  11. Rosy Win User
    And I know what you mean too ... Very frustrating I used to be able to reduce the page size as per the very clear description above! before the " update" last week But now clicking on the double squares does nothing so cannot have two reduced pages open side by side. Pulling the edges does not work. .... Help please

12. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @julie

You appear to have switched to tablet mode. Click on the Action Center at the right hand end of the taskbar. Click on the 'Tablet mode' tile to turn it off, your desktop will then return to normal - Option Two in this tutorial.

Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10

Thema:

1. Unable to reduce size of app window - Similar Threads - Unable reduce size

2. How to reduce the size of window?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reduce the size of window?: How to reduce or increase the size of a window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-window/10a2b5df-c51c-478a-99a5-6bd6dd27bf61
  3. How to reduce the size of window?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reduce the size of window?: How to reduce or increase the size of a window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-window/10a2b5df-c51c-478a-99a5-6bd6dd27bf61
  4. Reduce Font Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reduce Font Size: The Dropbox app changed the icon spacing and the general font size. I fixed the icon spacing, but the new font size is huge compared to what it was before installing Dropbox. This makes the applications look terrible. How do I decrease the Windows 10 font size?...
  5. Reduce Font Size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reduce Font Size: The Dropbox app changed the icon spacing and the general font size. I fixed the icon spacing, but the new font size is huge compared to what it was before installing Dropbox. This makes the applications look terrible. How do I decrease the Windows 10 font size?...
  6. Unable to reduce size of 'Save As' pane in Windows Fax & Scan

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to reduce size of 'Save As' pane in Windows Fax & Scan: This is a relatively small issue but driving me mad. Yesterday I was as usual scanning documents and saving them. Usually the scan finishes, I press 'Save As' and a small pane pops up where I choose where to save my scan. I can move the pane around around. So yesterday the...
  7. Reduce size of text

Reduce size of text: How do I reduce size of text before printing. HP ENVY 4502 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reduce-size-of-text/b19a922f-8742-4553-9b3f-9caa49fe2543
  8. Reducing Scan Size

Reducing Scan Size: I trying to reduce the size of a picture to scan in my Brother MFC-440CN. Anyone know how to do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reducing-scan-size/8a103d33-d6f4-4e23-960f-3dd8ea8c3a34
  9. Reduce App Size on Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reduce App Size on Desktop: How do I reduce the size of the apps on my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reduce-app-size-on-desktop/70446277-c9b6-4a35-b4b0-885469addbf8
  10. Reduce Windows size in HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reduce Windows size in HDD: Hi , sorry for my poor English. Windows is tkaing around 20GB on my PC, and my HDD is only 32GB has 8GB free. What and how can I reduce its size to a minimum size? 49902