Windows 10: Unable to reformat PNY 32 Gb USB

Discus and support Unable to reformat PNY 32 Gb USB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When trying to reformat PNY 32Gb USB I get the notification that the drive is write-protected. Things I've tried: -Checked for a physical switch on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ConceptEight, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Unable to reformat PNY 32 Gb USB

When trying to reformat PNY 32Gb USB I get the notification that the drive is write-protected. Things I've tried:

-Checked for a physical switch on the USB (none found)
    -Cleared readonly status in diskpart (current read-only state still set to Yes)
    -Updated StorageDevicePolicies values in RegEdit (no change)

Any ideas?

:)

ConceptEight, Feb 17, 2018
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Windows 10, Fixboot - Access Denied

You need to describe your system. If you are running Secure Boot in Win 10, you are using UEFI which needs a FAT 32 partition on a GPT configured drive.

If you just referring to a USB drive, you can reformat it as FAT 32 or at least 32 GB of it....

Saltgrass, Feb 17, 2018
  3. 32gb with e63?? Does it work?

Thanks asperguy.... If I do buy the card, I will make sure to get either Sandisk or PNY or something of that sort.

However, the question to be answered is....can the E63 handle a 32 gb card or is 16gb the absolute limit?

Thanks

S

vcsush---01, Feb 17, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Unable to reformat PNY 32 Gb USB

Does the Thumb drive show in Disk Management? If so you may be able to delete the partition on it and then format it. For universal usage choose FAT32 which it probably originally came formatted as.

Berton, Feb 17, 2018
  5. I can view the USB in Disk Management but can't delete the partition

6. Berton Win User
    It's no consolation for you but I have a Linux Mint computer running and use the GPARTED function in it to take care of such chores. One could download the GPARTED LiveCD .iso file, create the disc, boot to it and try [or USB].
    GParted -- Download

Berton, Feb 17, 2018
  7. Surely you're logged on with an Administrator Account?

Wiley Coyote, Feb 17, 2018
  8. Unable to reformat PNY 32 Gb USB

/

I am

9. Sorry I'm no help. My only experience with this, Disk Management enabled me to fix the problem.

Good luck ...

Wiley Coyote, Feb 17, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    See this tutorial....

Enable or Disable Disk Write Protection in Windows

...option one describes a physical switch on the USB, worth checking again in case it's not obvious.

If there's no physical switch, try the Diskpart command in Option Three.

If all fails, there's a possibility that the USB is dying. It's controller may have disable writing to protect the existing data and give you a last chance to retrieve it.

The only permanently write-protected USBs I have heard of are the ones Microsoft use for the install media found in 'off the shelf' software boxes, such as Windows 10. Where did you get this USB from?

11. Thank you for the info - I've tried both the diskpart option and looked for a physical switch - neither have worked

ConceptEight, Feb 18, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    Have you ever been able to write data to this USB? Is it a 'software install' USB that you are trying to re-use?

13. Unable to reformat PNY 32 Gb USB

The USB has a few Gb of my mom's files on it, so we've been able to read/write files onto it before.

ConceptEight, Feb 18, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    Then it may be, as I suggested before, that the internal controller has detected a fault and gone 'write protected' to preserve the data. I'd copy the files ASAP from the USB in case it's about to die.

15. And they WILL die.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to reformat PNY 32 Gb USB

1. Unable to reformat PNY 32 Gb USB - Similar Threads - Unable reformat PNY

2. Readyboost not showing on a 2021 laptop. 32 GB USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Readyboost not showing on a 2021 laptop. 32 GB USB: Hi,I have been having a lot of trouble trying to find out why Readyboost wont appear on my USB Harddrive properties. I tried it on another machine, and it worked, but for some reason, it wont work with my laptop. Please advise!...
  3. Readyboost not showing on a 2021 laptop. 32 GB USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Readyboost not showing on a 2021 laptop. 32 GB USB: Hi,I have been having a lot of trouble trying to find out why Readyboost wont appear on my USB Harddrive properties. I tried it on another machine, and it worked, but for some reason, it wont work with my laptop. Please advise!...
  4. Readyboost not showing on a 2021 laptop. 32 GB USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Recovery Drive Program does not recognize 32 GB USB. Next button grayed out. 32 GB USB...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Drive Program does not recognize 32 GB USB. Next button grayed out. 32 GB USB...: SUB: Creating a Recovery drive program does not recognize my USB drive. I am thinking about installing the October-2020 windows version 20H1 or 20H2 from my current version 1909 OS Build: 18363.1139. In preparation to update my windows 10 home version, I was able to...
  6. Attempting to dual boot Windows 7 from Windows 10 using 256 GB PNY USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Attempting to dual boot Windows 7 from Windows 10 using 256 GB PNY USB: I want to dual boot Windows 7 Professional on my Lenovo Yoga C930 running Windows 10 Pro. The installation media is in my PNY USB that can hold up to 256 GB, but in the Windows 7 installation interface, it says that I'm missing NVMe drivers. Is there any way to get NVMe...
  7. 32 gb Ram Help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    32 gb Ram Help: I am using 32 gb on my computer and running a few applications but my memory is at 77 percent [img] - - - Updated - - - Is there any way to find out what is using so much of it and to reduce it - - - Updated - - - i am tech savvy up to a point but don't know why this is...
  8. Upgrading to 32 GB RAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading to 32 GB RAM: Hi all, I have 16 GB RAM ( Two 8 GB sticks) and in the near future I want to upgrade to 32 GB RAM. Can I put another two 8 GB sticks near my other two or should I remove both 8 GB sticks and replace them by two 16 GB sticks? Thanks. My motherboard is ROG STRIX B360-H Gaming...
  9. Upgrading to 32 GB RAM

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading to 32 GB RAM: Hi all, I have 16 GB RAM ( Two 8 GB sticks) and in the near future I want to upgrade to 32 GB RAM. Can I put another two 8 GB sticks near my other two or should I remove both 8 GB sticks and replace them by two 16 GB sticks? Thanks. My motherboard is ROG SRIX B360-H Gaming...
  10. trancend 128 usb drive appears with 32 GB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    trancend 128 usb drive appears with 32 GB: hello i have win 10 and today connect my trancend usb 3.0 flash drive.the capacity is 128 GB but in appears with 32 GB!!!.i format it but nothing change.any help please 42015