Windows 10: Unable to reinstall to previous system partition (GPT)

Discus and support Unable to reinstall to previous system partition (GPT) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I tried to reinstall Windows to my existing system partition (I would like it to make one of those Windows.old folders). When I select the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by THX1138, Oct 17, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Unable to reinstall to previous system partition (GPT)

I tried to reinstall Windows to my existing system partition (I would like it to make one of those Windows.old folders). When I select the system partition, I get the error:

Windows Setup

Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

This is a bit stupid since Windows made this partition during the original Windows installation. My motherboard has UEFI.

When I press Shift + F10 to being up the console and use diskpart to try to convert the disk to MBR, I get:

Virtual Disk Service error:
    The specified disk is not convertible. CDROMs and DVDs are examples of disks that are not convertible.

The disk in question is an SSD.

I really would like to proceed without deleting the existing partition because then I'd have to find a way to copy the contents of the disk and enough space to copy the contents to, just in case I later need something I left in a program folder or whatever.

:)

THX1138, Oct 17, 2017
  2. CurtC1 Win User

Partitions

Windows crashed. Used Microsoft creator to reinstall because in the crash, I could not get to my backups. In the partition manager, I now have as follows.

File system Capacity used unused status type

* Unallocated 1.00 mb 0 bytes GPT

*: System Fat32 60 mb 7102 mb 288.98 mb system GPT(EFI system partition)

*: Other 128 mb 128 mb 0 bytes none GPT(reserved partition)

* unallocated 131.05 GB 0 bytes 131.05 GB none GPT

c: NTFS 315.71 GB 31.78 GB 283.93 GB Boot GPT(data partition)

*: other 849.00 MB 849.00 MB 0 bytes none GPT (unused Partition)

*: other 17.70 GB 17.70 GB 0 bytes none GPT(unused partition)

I know I need the system and the C: but can any of these others be deleted?

Never ran into this many partitions before. Any help is appreciated.

Curt

CurtC1, Oct 17, 2017
  3. I am unable to boot my computer. Please help.

<Original Title: Unable boot>

When i want to convertin my system partition from MBR style to GPT with "Minitool" app show to me this warning message "This disk Contains system partition and convertig this disk to GPT will cause your system to unableboot" .I do that anyway and now my
    system unable booting and show blank page so i cant setup windows.

help me to fix this problem please.thanks

Mohamad Mahdi Fakharnia, Oct 17, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

To get a windows.old folder implies doing in in-place upgrade. To do that you would run setup.exe on your windows install media from inside Windows. Booting from install media, as you seem to be doing, would be for a clean install.

Which are you really after?

Word Man, Oct 17, 2017
  5. THX1138 Win User
    Thanks for your response. I tried installing whilst running Windows and the installation failed with a vague error message. I then tried the 'Refresh' function after which my PC boots to a black screen so attempting to install from within my old Windows installation is long longer an option.

THX1138, Oct 17, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Are you booting from a UEFI installer ?

AddRAM, Oct 17, 2017
  7. THX1138 Win User
    I don't think so. I was presented with two options for the same disk and one had UEFI written in it. I thought it was a bug. It certainly isn't explicit what adding 'UEFI' to the partition name means when selecting what partition to boot from. Looked like a bug to me. Thanks. I went back and selected the UEFI alternative and it seems to be working in the expected manner (and said it would create a Windows.old folder).

THX1138, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to reinstall to previous system partition (GPT) - Similar Threads - Unable reinstall previous

2. Rebuild Windows boot partition and keep system partition on GPT dualboot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rebuild Windows boot partition and keep system partition on GPT dualboot system: Hi everyone!Well, here is the problem: after a partition manager crash, I have to rebuild all my partition system. I have now my linux system 2 partitions, an EFI partition on which one is installed rEFInd bootloader, and a Windows System partition, with all my program files...
  3. Recover a Windows system partition on GPT dualboot system

Recover a Windows system partition on GPT dualboot system: Hi everyone!Well, here is the problem: after a partition manager crash, I have to rebuild all my partition system. I have now my linux system 2 partitions, an EFI partition on which one is installed rEFInd bootloader, and a Windows System partition, with all my program files...
  4. Understanding GPT Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Understanding GPT Partition: I just purchased a new PC. My old PC, which I had for more than 10 years had a 1 tb hdd. If I understand drives the the drive is MBR. The new drive is a SSD BPT. When I got this new one home the first thing I did was delete the extra partitions. Needless to say when I tried...
  5. Partition sсheme GPT

Partition sсheme GPT: Hi , i have EFI and windows 10. I want to install Windows Thin(32bit) but in a program like Rufus I can only choose MBR and NTFS. I cant install. How to write to a USB Windows Thin with GPT and FAT32. Did you know live usb with installation Windows Thin? 143203
  6. gpt partition issue

gpt partition issue: I recently purchase a new ssd and decided to do a fresh install of windows on it, only to run into a host of unsolvable problems. Right off the bat windows refused to be installed on to my ssd, so I cleaned it, no effect. So i went into bios and changed from UEFI legacy to...
  7. Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition

Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition: I need to reinstall Windows 10 on a partitioned hard drive. The hard drive has 8 partitions - I only care about the 1 partition that has my data on and I don't want to lose it during the install. Other partitions are where I had Windows originally installed, system recovery,...
  8. Partition oddity with GPT

Partition oddity with GPT: I was going to do a Linux Mint upgrade and ran into a partition problem. I had an overlapping partition. I got that straightened out, but when I run Gparted I get the following message and would like to repair the partition table accordingly. While it is a Linux message; the...
  9. 14367 and GPT Partitions

14367 and GPT Partitions: New MB and first time with GPT partitions. Basic question, do I need all of these? 53638
  10. Hide an gpt partition

Hide an gpt partition: Hi, i need to hide my recovery partition but i'm using gpt. does anyone know how to hide? the Set id only work in mbr mode *Sad thanks 36927