Windows 10: Unable to Remove Folder From Start

Discus and support Unable to Remove Folder From Start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I inadvertently dragged a tile into another. Now there's this damn folder tile with 2 tiles and I can't remove it. I can't drag any of the tiles out,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JamesJoey, Jul 21, 2018.

1. JamesJoey Win User

Unable to Remove Folder From Start

I inadvertently dragged a tile into another.
    Now there's this damn folder tile with 2 tiles and I can't remove it.
    I can't drag any of the tiles out, right clicking only allows Resize.
    I even pinned the recycle bin to the start screen and dragged it onto that, didn't work.

Any way toireverse this useless feature???
    Also, any way to turn it off???

:)

JamesJoey, Jul 21, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    • Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    • Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    • Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    • Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Jul 21, 2018
  3. Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Jul 21, 2018
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    • Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    • Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code: net user test /del[/quote]

Vesao, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to Remove Folder From Start - Similar Threads - Unable Remove Folder

2. Remove folder from start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove folder from start menu: I want to remove the applications from the folder. I want them to appear in alphabetical order without being in folder. IT something hard to find an application when it's located in these folder. For example: I want to open windows PowerShell from start menu and I start...
  3. Remove folder from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove folder from start menu: I want to remove the applications from the folder. I want them to appear in alphabetical order without being in folder. IT something hard to find an application when it's located in these folder. For example: I want to open windows PowerShell from start menu and I start...
  4. Unable to Remove Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Remove Shared Folder: Trying to disconnect a shared folder from my PC within the windows Explorer Network locations, but there is no delete, or disconnect... I have directly entered in the //address within the search windows bar to access this computer. Using Windows 10. - - - Updated - - -...
  5. Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders

Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders: updated my nvidia graphics driver, started getting blue screen crashes. System restore did not correct. Found an nvidia sound device had been installed. Removed it and crashes stopped.Since then my folders are all read only and cannot be changed.Completed windows updaterun...
  6. Unable to remove shared folders

Unable to remove shared folders: OneDrive online. In the 'Shared' section, I noticed a number of empty folders. Wanted to get rid of them, but didn't find any delete/remove option there. However, when switching to "My Files", these folders do not show up. I agree, they are empty, so... never mind, it...
  7. Unable to remove onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to remove onedrive folder: Running Windows 10 Home. I uninstalled MS Onedrive successfully per the instructions in the tutorial on tenforums. Now I want to remove the onedrive folder in "C:\users\myusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive. To see if removing the OneDrive folder will cause any...
  8. Unable to remove the onedrive folder

Unable to remove the onedrive folder: Hello, I have an issue. In windows explorer there's still an ondrive folder in side panel after removing onedrive from my microsoft account about year ago. I tried to make it hidden, but nothing works, because it always says that the folder doesn't exist. Any help would be...
  9. Unable to remove a folder from Photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove a folder from Photos: Microsoft Photos ver 2018.18051.18420.0 Can add a folder to my Microsoft Photos, but am unable to remove it from the app. Is there a setting that I am missing?...
  10. Unable to Remove Folder From Start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Remove Folder From Start: I inadvertently dragged a tile into another. Now there's this damn folder tile with 2 tiles and I can't remove it. I can't drag any of the tiles out, right clicking only allows Resize. I even pinned the recycle bin to the start screen and dragged it onto that, didn't work....