Windows 10: Unable to remove previous versions of windows

Discus and support Unable to remove previous versions of windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 around a year back and for the most part has been behaving itself - except for one occasion when a restore was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MACH1000, Jul 6, 2016.

1. MACH1000 Win User

Unable to remove previous versions of windows

My laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 around a year back and for the most part has been behaving itself - except for one occasion when a restore was needed to get things working again. This resulted in 2 folders on the C: drive: Windows.old and Windows.old(1). I have tried to remove these by a number of methods including the standard System>Storage>This PC>Temporary storage and then selecting to clear temporary files and previous versions of windows but this did not work.
    I then tried the following command using an elevated command prompt:

RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\windows.old

This successfully removed the Windows.old(1) folder and subordinate folders but I am still unable to remove Windows.old. When I enter the prompt I simply get a rapidly scrolling screen indicating Access denied against each attempt to delete an item.

Can anyone advise how to remove the offending folder tree under these circumstances?

:)

MACH1000, Jul 6, 2016

2. Unable to uninstall previous versions of itunes

Do you receive an error message when you try to uninstall iTunes?

Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + R

2. In the "Open" box, type msiexec /unreg, and then press ENTER.

3. Press Windows key + R

4. In the "Open" box, type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

Try uninstalling again.

Try creating a new user account then see if you can uninstall it. If that does not work, try download the 12.3 exectuable then install it over the existing version:

iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple

Make sure you download the right setup file 32 or 64 bit depending on the architecture of Windows 10 you are running.

If that does not work, use revouninstaller to remove it, restart then try installing again.

You can find Revo Uninstaller at
    http://www.revouninstaller.com
    (freeware). Here’s a quick look at how to use Revo uninstaller.

Launch Revo uninstaller after installing, select the program you want to uninstall or search for it using the built in search tool.

Click the Uninstall button on the toolbar

This will start the uninstallation wizard for the particular program you selected. Revo uninstaller will go through a series of steps which include creating a system restore point, creating a backup of your Windows registry.

Then analyze the program and run its default uninstaller, click Yes when you see the above dialog. After the uninstall is completed, you have a choice of scanning modes to select from. What this will do is let you scan for any left over files, folders and
    registry items from that particular program. Safe looks in the usual places, moderate in more advanced locations while Advanced does a thorough search throughout the entire computer. After selecting your choice, (I went with Advanced), click Scan.

After the scan is complete, you will see a list of registry entries left behind by the program, select them then click Finish to thoroughly remove the program from your system.

The default uninstaller should work for most persons, but for those troublesome programs, the Force Uninstall feature and advanced scanning options will give you more control.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 6, 2016
  3. Unable to uninstall previous versions of itunes

I recently acquired a new phone and would like to sync with my iTunes account. iTunes will not download the necessary update 12.3 and advises uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling fresh and new. Windows 10 will not let me completely uninstall iTunes (witnessed
    by an Apple support rep.) , thus I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

LeighLeighShelton, Jul 6, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 6, 2016
  5. MACH1000 Win User
    Brilliant! Many thanks for this link, I had already tried options 1 & 2 together with things like attempting to amend the folder attributes from winthin Windows, but Option 3, Booting to command prompt enabled me to quickly identify the drive with the offending folder and to remove it, thereby freeing up a chunk of space.
    *Smile

MACH1000, Jul 6, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to remove previous versions of windows - Similar Threads - Unable remove previous

2. Unable to update/remove previous updates/reset pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to update/remove previous updates/reset pc: Windows is able to download my update files and try to install but errors after 100%.Windows troubleshooter states that I am pending a restart however upon restart the issue is not resolved.I have tried everything I can think of by now just looking for a fresh set of...
  3. Unable to update/remove previous updates/reset pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to update/remove previous updates/reset pc: Windows is able to download my update files and try to install but errors after 100%.Windows troubleshooter states that I am pending a restart however upon restart the issue is not resolved.I have tried everything I can think of by now just looking for a fresh set of...
  4. Unable to Finish Restoring Folder Previous Version

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Finish Restoring Folder Previous Version: As dumb may it sound, I accidentally deleted folders such as Desktop, Documents, and Pictures from OneDrive folder. Those three folders contain very important files that I should have. It can't be found in Recycle Bin because the option was to permanently delete. Which is, I...
  5. Unable to Finish Restoring Folder Previous Version

Unable to Finish Restoring Folder Previous Version: As dumb may it sound, I accidentally deleted folders such as Desktop, Documents, and Pictures from OneDrive folder. Those three folders contain very important files that I should have.It can't be found in Recycle Bin because the option was to permanently delete.Which is, I...
  6. Unable to go back to previous version from 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to go back to previous version from 20H2: I updated to 20H2 two days ago. However, I’m having mic problems, and after trying several methods without success I decided to just get back to my previous build (1909). However, no matter how many times I try it only restarts. I don’t know what else to do at this point....
  7. Cannot remove previous versions of windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot remove previous versions of windows: Hello there, I recently reset my PC. After a few hours I realized the Windows.old folder was taking up a lot of space on my hard drive I tried go to settings>storage>temporary files and the option for "Previous versions of Windows" does not appear Then I tried to delete...
  8. Unable to restore previous version of windows 10

Unable to restore previous version of windows 10: I updated the windows 10 version to the latest 2004. After a few weeks I really disappointed to the latest version, when i want to restore to the previous version, it said i cant because the windows has updated for more than 10 days. How RUDE it is... now i stuck on this...
  9. Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to remove previous encryption in BitLocker: Hi everyone, I have set up BitLocker on my E:/ before (but I forgot to backup the key on Microsoft Account) However, when I install Windows, I have mistakenly clicked "Delete" E:/ , and all the data removed. After Windows installation, I have formatted E:/ , and want to...
  10. Previous versions

Previous versions: Hello there! In System properties, system protection is "on" for C and E drive I can also see 5 restore point when i click "system restore" from control panel's System properties But when i click on restore previous version on any of the folder in those two drives it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to uninstall kb 4477137