Windows 10: Unable to remove Program Associations

Discus and support Unable to remove Program Associations in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; After not being able to open links from Steam or Skype using Chrome, I tried to remove the program associations for Chrome. However, it appears that... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Archaic, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Archaic Win User

Unable to remove Program Associations

After not being able to open links from Steam or Skype using Chrome, I tried to remove the program associations for Chrome.

However, it appears that I cannot unselect boxes currently selected.

Unable to remove Program Associations [​IMG]

This bug also persists to other programs. For example, if I try to remove the associations for Microsoft Edge, I cannot do so.

:)

Archaic, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Enesa K Win User

unable to uninstall a program associated with an online video game

I'm unable to uninstall a program associated with an online video game that is no longer on the computer. I've attempted to remove via control panel "programs and features" both normally and in safe mode without any success. I'm alarmed since it is listed as
    one of my top four most used programs and the game has removed from the computer for 1 year. Please help!

Enesa K, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Removing associated programs with file types

Hi Andrew,

Windows has an option to reset your default apps in a basic state. To do this, follow these steps:

• Press Windows + S to open Search Box.
    • Type Default Programs, then click it.
    • On the left pane, click Default apps.
    • Click Reset under Rest to the Microsoft recommended defaults.

Let us know if this works for you.

Johann Eva, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Archaic Win User
    Thanks for the help, but this didn't work.

The main problem is that I want to use Chrome - I've been trying to reset the associations somehow.

Archaic, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Archaic Win User
    I'm afraid that this didn't work, as Chrome is already my default browser.

The main issue I've been having is that opening links in Steam crashes the client, and opening links in Skype simply doesn't work.

Archaic, Aug 3, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm afraid that I'm unable to with those two apps. *Sad

Brink, Aug 4, 2015
  9. Archaic Win User
    I've managed to fix the problem after a few more restarts of my computer.

I'm not sure if it's fixed because of your suggestions, however, but thanks for the help. *Smile

Archaic, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to remove Program Associations - Similar Threads - Unable remove Program

2. How to remove old programs from file associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove old programs from file associations: Hi folks, I wonder if someone would know how to remove these old programs from the list below..I removed Winamp and Media Monkey a while back but they've never fully disappeared from my system.If anyone can help that'd be great, my OCD is going into overdrive haha...
  3. How to remove old programs from file associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove old programs from file associations: Hi folks, I wonder if someone would know how to remove these old programs from the list below..I removed Winamp and Media Monkey a while back but they've never fully disappeared from my system.If anyone can help that'd be great, my OCD is going into overdrive haha...
  4. Win 10 Home Remove filetype program associations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 Home Remove filetype program associations: There are several filetypes which I do NOT want associated with ANY specific application. How do I do this? I have read several items which proport to explain how to do this but none of them are accurate so a detailed step-by-step example would be useful. E.G., remove...
  5. Associate a Program

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Associate a Program: I have Ashampoo Burning Studio. When I had this program in my Win 7 O/S, I would insert the blank disk and I would get a menu asking which program I would like to use. when I installed Windows 10, I no longer get the menu. Instead I get a Message stating - "This file...
  6. associate a mail program

associate a mail program: Hello Trying to e-mail a photo on my desktop. I get an error message: This action cannot be performed. Associate a mail program with this type of file... How can I do that? If someone answers, where can I find the answer? My e-mail address is : *** Email address is...
  7. There is no email program associated

There is no email program associated: How do I fix this issue: "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create and association in the Default Programs control panel." There is no Default Programs in the control...
  8. Windows 10 unable to change default program associations

Windows 10 unable to change default program associations: Running Version 1803 (17134.345) and I'm unable to change the default program associated with various file extensions. Basically I'd like to be able to use Notepad++ for a lot of text files, but no matter how many times I try to change it via Properties/Opens With or via...
  9. Unable to sign in as System Administrator, "no program associated..."

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to sign in as System Administrator, "no program associated...": I was attempting to change the User administrator name so that it reflected a new windows explorer file path. When my SO set up the machine, she set the user name as "Mike & Steph". Well, this is now in the file path for all of our files and I work with software where no...
  10. File Association to Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Association to Programs: Hello, Some programs on the pc were not installed with the installer - they are portable zip files, I unziped them into a folder, made a shortcut to the desktop and they work fine for me. They are not listed in the 'installed programs' list. I am trying to associate...