Windows 10: Unable to reset windows 10 or create media tool

Discus and support Unable to reset windows 10 or create media tool in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have a laptop that I'm trying to prepare for a new owner. I'd like to be able to reset to factory default and wipe the drive etc (just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlexPaczynski, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Unable to reset windows 10 or create media tool

Hi everyone,

I have a laptop that I'm trying to prepare for a new owner. I'd like to be able to reset to factory default and wipe the drive etc (just one SSD which has the Windows 10 install). At first I tried using the 'reset' option in the update & security part of settings. When I run this - it gets a few percent in, stops and says it cannot do the reset and Windows 10 will go back to normal. Failing this on several occasions I tried the advanced reset and followed a few of the 'fixes' that can be done in command prompt from an online video - no luck. Finally, I have tried using the creation tool to put a Windows 10 install on a USB. This also fails - the download goes through then starts to go to the USB - at like 50% something goes wrong and the whole process just ends. I thought maybe some antivirus software might be wreaking havoc so I got rid of that. I have checked to see if I can restore to earlier version of Windows but am unable to do so.

I have tried calling Microsoft directly but apparently this sort of question is a paid service so I haven't been able to get any help there.

If anyone knows a fix for this, your help would be greatly appreciated. I am stuck on what to do from here.

Thanks in advance.

:)

AlexPaczynski, Jul 29, 2018

2. Unable to reset the pc

Hello,

If you are having that message while trying to reset your computer, We suggest you to create an installation media for Windows 10 using Media
    Creation Tool
    and perform a Reset.

Once the installation media is created, follow the steps below:

• Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
    • On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can use Safe Mode. Select
      Advanced Options >Reset This PC>Remove everything.
    • After the reset is complete, check for status.

Give us an update on what happens.

Anthony Cato, Jul 29, 2018
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 29, 2018
  4. Unable to reset windows 10 or create media tool

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jul 29, 2018
Thema:

Unable to reset windows 10 or create media tool

1. Unable to reset windows 10 or create media tool - Similar Threads - Unable reset create

2. creating a windows 10 pro media tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    creating a windows 10 pro media tool: i purchased windows 10 pro less than a year ago and my hard drive crashed. I am using the media tool to create a download of windows 10 to install on a new hard drive but it does not give me an option to download the same version i purchased which was windows pro. How do i...
  3. Windows 10 Install media tool failing to create USB media

Windows 10 Install media tool failing to create USB media: Hello, I am trying to download Windows 10 to install on another laptop. I have downloaded the media tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. The issue I am having is it is not asking where I want to download the files to . It asks what I want to...
  4. USB ruined with Media creating tool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB ruined with Media creating tool: Hi dear community I need help with my usb stick, couple weeks ago I got the windows fall update for my pc and I had just a little space on my C drive, so I found out that I can upgrade using my USB, that's what I did and sadly it didn't go well, the installation stopped half...
  5. Unable to create Windows 10 bootable media using media creation tool

Unable to create Windows 10 bootable media using media creation tool: I have troubles downloading windows 10 using media creation tool. I used a USB to get a copy of windows 10 for my new computer but the Windows 10 setup uses the wrong disk space. I used a Removable Disk (F:) but instead it tries to connect to the other disk space. What should...
  6. creating windows 10 media creation tool

creating windows 10 media creation tool: Hello I want to create a windows 10 media creation tool on to a USB flash drive. When I got my PC windows 10 was digitally installed and verified. However, I did get the windows 10 home installation DVD with my new PC but the new PC has no CD/DVD drive installed. I pretty...
  7. Issue with Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media

Issue with Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media: I need to recover my Desktop and downloaded the MediaCreationTool1809,exe from the MS Support pages. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I run the tool with a freshly formatted 16GB USB drive and receive the following error: "There was a problem...
  8. Unable to create installation from media creation tool on Win7

Unable to create installation from media creation tool on Win7: I am currently running Win7 Ultimate service pack 1 and am trying to create an installation of Win10 on a flash drive before I replace some parts inside my PC that will require an OS refresh. Unfortunately I am stuck at this screen. [img] I am sure my OS version is...
  9. Windows media creation tool closes after "creating windows 10 media"

Windows media creation tool closes after "creating windows 10 media": When using the media creation tool I choose to upgrade my PC, everything goes as it should until I reach 100% on "creating windows 10 media." when I reach this point the program closes and instead of the installer loading nothing happens. Does anyone know if this is something...
  10. Unable to create ISO to Redstone via Media Creation Tool

Unable to create ISO to Redstone via Media Creation Tool: Hello. The error is: 0x80070002 0x20016 I tried rewriting the "AllowOSUpgrade" in the registry (a method which was used in Threshold 2), yet not working. I'm running on my computer Windows 10 TH2. Thanks for anyone who may help 58702