Windows 10: Unable to run certain apps even though I am an administrator

Discus and support Unable to run certain apps even though I am an administrator in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am having problems running some apps in my laptop. This happens when I install apps to my C://Users// folder. I don't see any problems during the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rahul Mukherji, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Unable to run certain apps even though I am an administrator

I am having problems running some apps in my laptop. This happens when I install apps to my C://Users// folder. I don't see any problems during the install. For example, I installed the Eclipse IDE, however some features didn't work because of access being denied. I managed to reinstall it and make it work, but now Android Studio is not starting, because access is denied to some file in C://Users://. I am fairly certain this is a permissions problem, and so how do I resolve it?

(Also, is there any way to rename my User folder? The "mukherji" is because the guy who set the laptop up made a typo.)

:)

Rahul Mukherji, Aug 10, 2016
  2. mrandrewv Win User

Can't 'Run as Administrator' even though I am the only Administrator.

Hi Rajeshwari, thank you for the response.

1. Yes I am logged in as Administrator.

In fact according to 'User Accounts' my account is the only account on this PC.

Although under "Group or user names" it has 3 entries:

SYSTEM

Andrew V (with my email address)

Administrators (AndrewVPC\Administrators.

I don't know what that means.

2. I tried sfc scannow and it ran correctly but it didn't find any errors.

3. I followed your Method 2 and each step was concluded successfully.

But sadly it hasn't solved the problem.

I still cannot install certain software (I have verified that the software is legitimate and not a virus or other malware).

mrandrewv, Aug 10, 2016
  3. mrandrewv Win User
    Can't 'Run as Administrator' even though I am the only Administrator.

Good morning.

I recently 'sidegraded' to Windows 10 and I have had many problems. Fortunately, I fixed most of them by performing a reset of the installation.

As a result of that I naturally needed to reinstall all of my software.

Unfortunately, I can't.

Even though I am the only Administrator on my PC the UAC still stops me from installing certain software because 'An Administrator' is preventing me. I get the "This app has been blocked for your protection" message.

This even happened if I run the .exe 'as administrator'.

I even checked that I am the only administrator account in the CMD prompt:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net localgroup administrators

Alias name administrators

Comment Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain

Members

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator

Andrew

The command completed successfully.

But when I activated the hidden 'inactive' 'elevated' administrator account I found that I could install whatever the heck I wanted.

It is deeply frustrating to me that I cannot install software on my own bloody machine even though I have Administrator privileges.

Please tell me how I can 'elevate' my administrator account or fix this in some other way.

tl:dr I have an Administrator account but UAC still stops me from installing things.

Thank you.

mrandrewv, Aug 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Unable to run certain apps even though I am an administrator

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    By all means keep the original downloaded executable/MSI installer files in your user folder (so you can re-install them again at a later date). However when you install the programs, install them to the following locations:

32-bit applications - C:\Program Files (x86)\
    64-bit applications - C:\Program Files\

ARC1020, Aug 10, 2016
  6. The reason I say this is that when I reinstalled Android Studio, a warning was given that having whitespace in the project folder can cause problems (the User folder is C://Users://) So I really need to fix this.

Rahul Mukherji, Aug 10, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Mm, good you got the warning about the path, but it's a programming oversight.

Is the location of the folder configurable? Sounds like data.. is there an option to change it?

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to run certain apps even though I am an administrator

1. Unable to run certain apps even though I am an administrator - Similar Threads - Unable run certain

2. Why am I unable to see 'Virus and Threat Protection' Even though I am the administrator of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I unable to see 'Virus and Threat Protection' Even though I am the administrator of...: I just did a full reset of my Laptop, and I am still unable to get to the Virus and Threat protection page. It shows 'Page Not Available. Your IT administrator has limited access......'I have tried everything that was already recommended but I am still unable to do anything....
  3. Why am I unable to see 'Virus and Threat Protection' Even though I am the administrator of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I unable to see 'Virus and Threat Protection' Even though I am the administrator of...: I just did a full reset of my Laptop, and I am still unable to get to the Virus and Threat protection page. It shows 'Page Not Available. Your IT administrator has limited access......'I have tried everything that was already recommended but I am still unable to do anything....
  4. certain games and apps are not connecting to the internet even though I am connected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    certain games and apps are not connecting to the internet even though I am connected.: I just want to play halo infinite but when i try to play it says no internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-games-and-apps-are-not-connecting-to-the/42966336-b409-4ccf-96da-7d9288253b22
  5. certain games and apps are not connecting to the internet even though I am connected.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    certain games and apps are not connecting to the internet even though I am connected.: I just want to play halo infinite but when i try to play it says no internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-games-and-apps-are-not-connecting-to-the/42966336-b409-4ccf-96da-7d9288253b22
  6. certain games and apps are not connecting to the internet even though I am connected.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Unable to change certain settings even though I am an administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change certain settings even though I am an administrator: [ATTACH][ATTACH] Hi all, as can be seen above, I am an administrator. However, I am unable to change certain settings. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-change-certain-settings-even-though-i-am/787252ae-7991-46bb-8e6e-d4c213742c35
  8. Unable to run anything as administrator even though I am the only administrator on my pc

Unable to run anything as administrator even though I am the only administrator on my pc: Every time i try to run ANYTHING as administrator, not hing happens. Ive tried every solution there was. Is this a common bug that is going around with the new update? Please if anyone knows how to fix this let me know....
  9. Blocked apps even though I am administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Blocked apps even though I am administrator: When I try to open different things such as a Samsung USB driver a window pops up saying "This app has been blocked for your protection" I have given myself administrator as well as making a new user and giving that one administrator too but the same thing happens....
  10. Can't run apps or programmes as administrator even though I'm an administrator

Can't run apps or programmes as administrator even though I'm an administrator: I can't run any apps as administrator. I right click and press ''run as administrator'' but literally nothing happens. this happens for every app. I am on an administrative account. I can still do other administrative actions such as deleting important files and changing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to open MediaCreationTool1809 as administrator