Windows 10: Unable to run full scan on Windows Defender

Discus and support Unable to run full scan on Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am unable to run a full scan on Windows Defender - the scan runs extremely slowly (only a dozen files per minute) and often hangs. The issue isn't... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Clueless, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Clueless Win User

Unable to run full scan on Windows Defender

I am unable to run a full scan on Windows Defender - the scan runs extremely slowly (only a dozen files per minute) and often hangs. The issue isn't that I have too many files - I've used only half of my available space and full scan worked perfectly well before I upgraded to Windows 10. Quick scan functions normally. How can I solve this issue?

:)

Clueless, Aug 29, 2015

2. Can't do Full Scan in Windows Defender since most recent Windows 10 update

Why am I unable to run a FULL Scan in Windows Defender since the latest Windows 10 update? The scan has literally been running for 3 days and hasn't completed. I am able to do a Quick Scan, but that is all. Also, I'm unable to run an update check.

[Moved from Windows]

TillyFlotz, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Le Boule Win User
    unable to update windows defender & run a full scan without an error message

That is usually (but not always) a transient error that is sometimes accompanied by error code 0x8007139F.

Restart the computer and that should fix it though some users report a manual update of Windows Defender followed by a reboot may also be required.

Alternatively - - -

Some users report seeing this error if a third party antivirus program (or a remnant of a previous security program) is still installed. See Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

and be sure you run the appropriate software removal tools for any other antimalware program that may have been on the computer...you'll need to reboot the computer after doing so: List
    of anti-malware product removal tools

Regards…

Le Boule, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Unable to run full scan on Windows Defender

ran into the same problem

d/l one of the free programs

to make sure everything is ok

i stopped using W/D

njnitehawk, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Borg 386 Win User
    Try running a SFC to see if there's anything that needs fixing. Be sure to run it 3 times since it doesn't always fix everything the 1st or 2nd time.

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Another option would be to do a repair install.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Aug 29, 2015
  6. SFC scan does not repair WD, as far as I can tell, never did restored mine (multiple scans).

TairikuOkami, Aug 29, 2015
  7. YOU
    You Win User
    could try restarting in Safe Mode and attempting to run the scan, although Windows Defender is not a very good antivirus so might as well download Avast now if want a free one that's actually decent. Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums

Thema:

Unable to run full scan on Windows Defender

1. Unable to run full scan on Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Unable run full

2. Full Scan in Windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full Scan in Windows defender: I started a full scan in windows defender.It showing around 30 hours remaining. I actually wanted my system to shutdown.Will the scan be paused if i shutdown my pc or lost all the scan till now?...
  3. Full Scan in Windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full Scan in Windows defender: I started a full scan in windows defender.It showing around 30 hours remaining. I actually wanted my system to shutdown.Will the scan be paused if i shutdown my pc or lost all the scan till now?...
  4. Unable to run quick scan on window defender.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to run quick scan on window defender.: i have the attached error message. can someone knows how to fix it guide me on this please. have to say that i am noob with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/unable-to-run-quick-scan-on-window-defender/424e0795-0bde-4795-8e4f-bc30cff9f987
  5. Unable to run a scan in Windows Defender

Unable to run a scan in Windows Defender: Can't run a scan with Windows Defender. [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/unable-to-run-a-scan-in-windows-defender/5fde0ef4-04cb-4722-b119-c85418aca47c
  6. Windows Defender unable to complete "Full Scan"

Windows Defender unable to complete "Full Scan": Windows Defender is unable to complete a full scan or a custom scan that includes everything in the main drive. It is able to successfully complete a quick scan. When the program stops working correctly I have to restart the service through Windows Services. The problem...
  7. Troubles running a full scan with Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Troubles running a full scan with Windows Defender: I've tried a few times today to run a full scan on my comp. My PC is pretty old and this is my CPU (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K). My IOS is Windows 10 with the latest update. I've looked up solutions on google of course and haven't had any luck. submitted by...
  8. Defenders Full Scan

Defenders Full Scan: I decided to do a full scan of my computer to see if everything was alright and it's been hours since then. It's still continuing to scan my files and the time remaining went down at first but now it's increasing instead of decreasing. I don't know why and I'm wondering if I...
  9. Full Scan with Defender

Full Scan with Defender: I know how to select full scan, but have no idea how to start the full scan. HELP Please 129441
  10. Defender: no Full Scan

Defender: no Full Scan: Windows Defender tells me no action is needed. But when I use "Run a new advanced scan" nothing happens. No dialog to choose option for Full Scan. Terry, East Grinstead, UK Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.167)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fix windows defender antivirus not able to run quick scan

2. unable to run the windows defender scan

3. run full system scan windows defender

4. windows defender will not run a full scan,
  5. unable to run windows defender scan,
  6. unable to run full scan nothing happens