Windows 10: Unable to 'save' any files to folders, resetting read-only doesn't wor

Discus and support Unable to 'save' any files to folders, resetting read-only doesn't wor in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; since installing Windows 10, I can not save updates to word files or anything to a folder. I've read I should change the user settings that default to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KGKate, Aug 12, 2015.

1. KGKate Win User

Unable to 'save' any files to folders, resetting read-only doesn't wor

since installing Windows 10, I can not save updates to word files or anything to a folder. I've read I should change the user settings that default to 'read-only' in the system folder. I've done this 3 times. The fix doesn't work. Help!

:)

KGKate, Aug 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 folders keep resetting to 'Read only'

This link is a basic work around, but I doesn't really solve the problem. For example win zip can create a zip file now in the folder but it can add files to it. Maybe a temp file some where? Also, the folder is still says read only after you do the change.

Document folders marked read only after upgrade to Windows 10

To all of you who have the "Read only"-problem;

I've had the same kind of issue concerning a few random files in Win7. I didn't have any access at all, and the workaround back then was hard to find, but simple to apply.

When you right-click the "main-folder" that you only have "read"-rights on, and enter properties, there is a security-tab, where there should be listed a few whitelisted-accessors. Those can be, but are not limited to; Users, System, Administrator, etc...

Now, there should be a button just below the list, named "Edit" or "Manage" (translating this from a Danish operating-system...), and if you press that, you're given the option of adding or removing "accessors" and rights/allowances to them. Go ahead and press
    the "Add" button. Now, a new window will open with 3 slots - 2 of which should already be filled. The last box should be empty, and here you should now write "EVERYONE" or "ALL" (again, translation from Danish...). Capital letters, may or may not be important.
    For me, it capitalized everything automatically.

Press the OK button, and select the "accessor" you've just created. Below the list, there should be 2 collums of squares with/without checkmarks. In the "Allow" collum, you should check all boxes, and in the "Deny" collum, all boxes should be un-checked. Duh..
    Unable to 'save' any files to folders, resetting read-only doesn't wor :)

John Kerich, Aug 12, 2015
  3. swanTight Win User
    Windows 10 folders keep resetting to 'Read only'

create anew user account

swanTight, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Unable to 'save' any files to folders, resetting read-only doesn't wor

Try creating a new local user account and see if that user has the same problem.

Slartybart, Aug 13, 2015
Thema:

Unable to 'save' any files to folders, resetting read-only doesn't wor

1. Unable to 'save' any files to folders, resetting read-only doesn't wor - Similar Threads - Unable 'save' files

2. Windows 11 resets folder to Read Only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 resets folder to Read Only: I have the folder C:\Users\User\GitLab on my disk, which i use to program python code. I use poetry to manage my dependencies. When I run poetry update most of a time I get an error like this: ERROR: Could not install packages due to an OSError: [WinError 5] Access is denied:...
  3. Reset Read-only folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Read-only folders: All my folders got converted to Read-Only. When I try to reset them, it works and then immediately reverts to Read-Only. I tried the -r +s command and many of the recommended suggestions. What else can I try? I think something got corrupted....
  4. Reset Read-only folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset Read-only folders: All my folders got converted to Read-Only. When I try to reset them, it works and then immediately reverts to Read-Only. I tried the -r +s command and many of the recommended suggestions. What else can I try? I think something got corrupted....
  5. Windows 11 resets folder to Read Only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 resets folder to Read Only: Windows 11 resets folder to read only after Admin resets Read Only off. Prevents users from renaming files. Security settings indicate Everyone has Full Control but user can not rename files....
  6. Games unable to save to the My Games folder, marked as Read Only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games unable to save to the My Games folder, marked as Read Only: I was playing Skyrim Special Edition, and everything was going fine. I had made a few saves and had no problems. Suddenly, I was unable to save the game, creating a manual save or a quick save would crash the game, any anything that created an autosave would also crash the...
  7. read only + only applies for files in the folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    read only + only applies for files in the folder: Dears I am not able to remove the permission of read only from any folder from any folder on my windows 10 PC. i tried attrib command also but did not work is this a bug with the latest updates [ATTACH]...
  8. Unable To Unlock Folders and Files From Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable To Unlock Folders and Files From Read Only: I just purchased a new laptop and manually transferred my files from the old laptop using an external hard drive. Both operating systems are Windows 10. All of the files are accessible but all of the folders, sub-folders and files are in Read-Only. I attempted to turn off...
  9. Program Files folder Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files folder Read Only: Hi, I have an application which is installed in the "Program Files" folder. I need to change the configuration file in one of the application's subfolder, but folder is marked as Read Only as are all folders in "Program Files" an their subfolders. I tried following...
  10. Read-only file/folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Read-only file/folder properties: As a long-time user of Windows OS in all its iterations, what I'm going to ask y'all has me totally stumped. I've looked on-line for solutions but have not found anything definitive. I apologize if anything like what I'm going to describe has been asked/answered; I only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. user unable to save wor in a folder