Windows 10: Unable to Search in windows 10

Discus and support Unable to Search in windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All searching on my Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7) is painfully slow and often does not return any results. This is particularly noticeable in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CRH, Jan 29, 2016.

1. CRH
    CRH Win User

Unable to Search in windows 10

All searching on my Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7) is painfully slow and often does not return any results. This is particularly noticeable in Outlook. This is what I have done so far:
    1. Checked Control Panel> Indexing Options and the Indexed locations box is empty. In the Advanced Options, I am unable to “Select New” or to enter a location.
    2. Clicked Advanced and then Rebuild, I got the message “Rebuilding the index might take a long time….”. At the top of the Indexing Options it says, “Indexing is not running”.
    3. Checked Control Panel> Administrative Tools > Services and tried to start the Windows Search service and got the message, “Windows could not start the Windows Search service on local Computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.”
    4. Navigated to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search, except that the Search folder is constantly disappearing and (presumably) re-creating itself.
    5. Run SFC / scannow, which did not detect any problems.
    6. Tried to use Microsoft Fixit http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_search/en-us but it does not support Windows 10*Sad

The OS is on an SSD and prior to this happening I had a SATA HDD as well but that is not working and so may very well be the cause of the problem. I dont really need the second disk as I am on a network and dont therefore need any more local storage.

I've read a lot on subject this subject and still haven't found a fix that works for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

:)

2. Unable to type in the search bar in windows 10

Hi,

We understand that you are having an issue using the search feature in Windows 10. There are several factors that we have to consider in troubleshooting this issue. In order for us to efficiently assist you, we just have few questions for you:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Were you able to install all pending updates in your computer?
    • Have you tried running the Start menu troubleshooter?
    • Have you tried creating a new local administrator account?

Regards.

Darian Tab, Jan 29, 2016
  3. Unable to type in the search bar in windows 10

I can only type one character in the search box in windows 10 and the box closes.
    I have tried

• Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

• C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe

• SFC /SCANNOW

• Stopped and restarted cortana

• Checked windows search service to insure it was running

• I can past words into the search bar from note pad and it seems to work that way

• It seems to work ok under a different user profile.

• window version 1607 (OSBuild 14393.1066)

texashonda, Jan 29, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Thats corrupt system files or a bad registry. Most people have had major issues upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1511.

A secondary drive more than likely won't cause any Operating System errors unless somehow there were system files on the disk, which is very unlikely as Windows can run only on one drive, so that rules that out.

Have you opened an elevated command prompt and do a chkdsk?

Chkdsk C: /f /r press Y to accept the scan at restart. Please note, your percentage may stop somewhere between 10 and 20%. The scan is still running and can take an hour or so depending on your hard drive size.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you may need to revert back to Windows 7, if its a recent upgrade 30 days or less.

Click on each one in order.
    Start
    Settings
    Update & Recovery
    Recovery
    Return to Windows 7.

The computer will revert back to the way the system was before the upgrade.

lmaneke, Jan 30, 2016
  5. CRH
    CRH Win User
    Thanks for your response. I omitted to mention that I had already run chdsk. However, I ran it again and that did not fix the problem.
    I would rather not have to roll back, however, realise that may be the only way. I would be interested in hearing any other suggestions.

When searching in Outlook, the helpful message is, "Something went wrong and your search could not be completed". Searching for a program from the start menu appears to work OK. When searching for a file (or folder) the message is, "Something went wrong. Try this search again". When searching from Explorer, it just says "working on it" and then, "Your searches might be slow because the index is not running. click to turn on the index..." Making another search after clicking to turn on the index and making another search gives the same messages.

6. brummyfan Win User
    brummyfan, Jan 30, 2016
  7. lmaneke Win User
    DISM won't work unless sfc sees integrity issues and system health issues with system files. Although you can try it.

I had a Windows 8.1 installation, had some issues, and was suggested sfc and dism. Sfc found no issues, and dism said I didn't have corrupt media.

lmaneke, Jan 30, 2016
  8. CRH
    CRH Win User

OK, so I've tried sfc and DISM and both said all OK.

9. caperjack Win User
    caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to Search in windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable Search

2. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...
  3. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...
  4. Windows search bar unable to find settings, despite working for finding other items like...

in Cortana
    Windows search bar unable to find settings, despite working for finding other items like...: Description: I'm encountering an issue with the search functionality on my Windows 10 Home laptop. Specifically, I'm unable to use the search bar in the Start menu to find Windows settings, although it continues to work for other items such as files and applications.I can...
  5. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  6. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  7. How to fix unable to type in Windows Search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix unable to type in Windows Search?: After attempting to install the new Cumulating Update Preview for 2024 KB5034204, It failed and restarted my computer. But after coming back, I ran into multiple errors such as not being able to type in the windows search bar or right clicking an app on my taskbar. I don't...
  8. How to fix unable to type in Windows Search?

How to fix unable to type in Windows Search?: After attempting to install the new Cumulating Update Preview for 2024 KB5034204, It failed and restarted my computer. But after coming back, I ran into multiple errors such as not being able to type in the windows search bar or right clicking an app on my taskbar. I don't...
  9. Unable to use the folder or desktop Search bar for an item

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use the folder or desktop Search bar for an item: The Window Start Search bar is not the issue. It is the search bar that is on the window for documents and desktop folders, or external hard drive folders. The search bar is useless oftentimes not even allowing you to type within it. There are no error messages or any other...
  10. Unable to use the folder or desktop Search bar for an item

Unable to use the folder or desktop Search bar for an item: The Window Start Search bar is not the issue. It is the search bar that is on the window for documents and desktop folders, or external hard drive folders. The search bar is useless oftentimes not even allowing you to type within it. There are no error messages or any other...