Windows 10: Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, A couple of days back I upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 successfully and no problems. After that today I open my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vatsan, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Vatsan Win User

Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home

Hello,

A couple of days back I upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 successfully and no problems. After that today I open my laptop and I have a black screen. I move my touchpad thinking I'm going to get to the login screen but still nothing happens. I hit the power button on my laptop to shut down and it does that. I turn on my computer I'm able to get to the login screen. I put my password then I see a black screen. I have IObit Advanced SystemCare so in the corner that's what I see but the rest is black. I wait for a while nothing happens then shut off the pc. Same thing happened and then I think at the third or fourth time I turn on my computer then go to the living room and come back and it's fixed. I play Minecraft so I was doing that. I also have a touchpad issue where when I hold the keys down I can't move my mouse but I already know the solution for that and so when I go to click the start button nothing happens. I was confused and thought maybe it was just slower than normal. I clicked the search button; nothing happened. I then search up on the web "unable to click start button on windows 10" and I find a post with a solution but wasn't really for me:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator
      • Right click Start button
      • Choose Command prompt (Admin)
      • Key in Powershell in the black window and hit Enter
    • Paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
    • When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working. If not, this solution won’t apply to you, unfortunately.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This didn't actually work I have my cmd open still and nothing has happened. Anything else that can resolve this issue? Any help is appreciated!

:)

Vatsan, Aug 6, 2015
  2. ed4444 Win User

Windows 8.1 home upgrade to 10 start button and windows key

After upgrading my Windows 8.1 home machine to Windows 10, I found that the Windows key doesn't work anymore and I am unable to get the Windows tiles to appear as the desktop. Clicking on the Windows start key does nothing. It will show options if I
    right click it.

ed4444, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Start Menu not working after upgrade

After the last upgrade on w10 I have been unable to click and open the start button, the search bar, or icons like my wifi. I can right click and they will open, but nothing happens with a left click.

Problem after last upgrade- Original Title

RonBridgefarmer, Aug 6, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Someone mentioned on another thread that they created a new user account, and that resolved the problem for them in the original user account as well.

simrick, Aug 7, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    Powershell is not the same as Command Prompt. In the search, type "powershell" and run it as admin, then paste the command and press Enter.

6. YOU
    You Win User
    Maybe it is taking a long time to load Windows Explorer, which is File Explorer, r taskbar, etc. Try defragging r HDD, and if it keeps happening press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, go to File > Run New Task, type Explorer.exe, and click OK. See if it opens then. Also, while have task manager open, check r CPU, RAM, and Disk usage and post it here, please.

Thema:

1. Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Unable search click

2. Unable to click on Windows Start icon or enter input into Search field

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to click on Windows Start icon or enter input into Search field: On Windows 10 build 19044 I am unable to type into the 'Type her to search' field or invoke any functions from the Windows Start icon. There are no desktop icons visible. I created one and it didn't appear. Otherwise the OS seems to be working OK....
  3. Unable to click on Windows Start icon or enter input into Search field

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to click on Windows Start icon or enter input into Search field: On Windows 10 build 19044 I am unable to type into the 'Type her to search' field or invoke any functions from the Windows Start icon. There are no desktop icons visible. I created one and it didn't appear. Otherwise the OS seems to be working OK....
  4. Windows 10 unable to click on anything, glitching, cant click on search bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 unable to click on anything, glitching, cant click on search bar: I recently purchased an Asus Tuf gaming laptop and it's been running fine since I bought it. The only issue is that Windows 10 started glitching and randomly clicks on icons with windows programs sporadically like in settings, the search bar, etc. When it does this I'm unable...
  5. Unable to upgrade from Windows 7 home to Windows 10 home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to upgrade from Windows 7 home to Windows 10 home: I have Windows 7 Home on my Dell Latitude 5400. Downloading from Microsoft's web page, I tried the free upgrade process to Windows 10. After many hours, this message appeared: System registry contains invalid file paths Drive letter assignments do not match across...
  6. Completely unable to click in the search field - Windows 10 1909

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Completely unable to click in the search field - Windows 10 1909: Hey, I'm having this problem where I'm just not allowed to click the search field under "This PC" or any of the subsequent subfolders / drives. Can just keep clicking and nothing, not allowed to type in that field. This is a permanent thing. Anyone seen or heard of this bug...
  7. Unable to click Windows 10 search bar

in Cortana
    Unable to click Windows 10 search bar: I made a short video of the issue here: https://youtu.be/Bi47jEYQhmw Hopefully it helps, I thought it was maybe my keys sticking. This has happened once before for me on windows, though I believe it was on my laptop and the issue resolved itself, as far as I can remember....
  8. Unable to start Windows XP after Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to start Windows XP after Windows 10 upgrade: First a little clarification. I had Windows 7 installed on one HDD and XP installed on secondary HDD. When I initially installed W7, it set up a boot screen which enabled me to access and run XP. After I upgraded to W10 and I try to start XP by booting from the secondary HDD,...
  9. Unable to click Start and Cortana search buttons

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to click Start and Cortana search buttons: Hi, I was hoping I can get some advise here. Previously I posted it on Technet but no one answer. I have just upgraded 50 and more of my users to Windows 10 build 10586, and I realize that some of their search and Windows button are not responding when click. Steps...
  10. Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home: *Moved the thread* Hello, A couple of days back I upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 successfully and no problems. After that today I open my laptop and I have a black screen. I move my touchpad thinking I'm going to get to the login screen but...