Windows 10: Unable to see folder C:\users\all users

Discus and support Unable to see folder C:\users\all users in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Using win10 - 64bit Logged into cmd prompt as admin. Cannot see C:\users\all users with the following cmd's Folder does not show in normal File... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gypsycomp, Nov 16, 2016.

1. gypsycomp Win User

Unable to see folder C:\users\all users

Using win10 - 64bit
    Logged into cmd prompt as admin.
    Cannot see C:\users\all users with the following cmd's

Folder does not show in normal File Explorer window
    Run TREE cmd and the All Users folder does not show.
    Run DIR cmd for C:\users and All Users does not show
    Run ATTRIB -s -h C:\users and still do not see All User folder appearing. Restart after running ATTRIB cmd, but does not trigger reload of folder.

BUT, when I
    Run DIR cmd for "C:\users\all users" the folder and files show
    Run ROBOCOPY and the All Users folder and its files transfer.

Somehow this folder has become hidden and I am unable to unhide or see it.

Any suggestions?

:)

gypsycomp, Nov 16, 2016
  2. Kari Win User

Windows does not have a folder All users. It is a link to C:\ProgramData folder, in other words when you run command DIR "C:\Users\All Users", it lists the content of folder C:\ProgramData.

3. gypsycomp Win User
    Thank you for your reply.
    As you can see in this image, "All Users" does exist.
    Also, where do you find C:\ProgramData, as it is not listed on my machine?

Unable to see folder C:\users\all users [​IMG]

gypsycomp, Nov 17, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I got a new computer last week and the default setup does not include an All Users Folder. The one in your image shows the All Users Folder is dated a day after you set up your account, could a program you installed have done it for you? You show that All Users Folder inside a _C_Bakup Folder on a different drive [NAS??], it would be my guess that is what happened.

ProgramData may be Hidden but it usually exists just after the Folders called Program Files and Program Files (x86). Program Files (x86) exists on 64-bit versions of Windows to hold 32-bit programs when they are installed. Program Files exists on both 32-bit and 64-bit computers.

Berton, Nov 17, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    To show Hidden Files and Folders, in File Explorer go to View put a check box in Hidden Items.
    You then should see C:\Program Data folder

spunk, Nov 17, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    There is no 'C:\Users\All Users' folder in my Windows 10 PC (upgraded from 7). There is a hidden shortcut called All Users in C:\Users that points to C:\ProgramData. Checking back on a Windows 7 machine, that too had the same shortcut, not a folder.

I have to go back to Windows XP to find an actual folder called All Users. It's C:\Documents and Settings\All Users. No doubt this is the reason the shortcut is included in later versions, for backward compatibility with software written in the XP era.

Your screenshot apparently shows a backup of your C: drive in an X: drive on your router, not the actual C: itself. It is likely that copying C: to C_Backup has followed the shortcut and copied the contents of C:\ProgramData to a folder it has created using the shortcut's name.

The reason you cannot see C:\ProgramData or the C:\Users\All Users shortcut on your actual C: drive is that you have 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' turned off in File Explorer. To turn it on use File>Options>View in File Explorer.

7. kado897 Win User
    kado897, Nov 17, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

I have it, could be a leftover from W7/8.1 upgrade but it's there in full:

Unable to see folder C:\users\all users [​IMG]

CountMike, Nov 17, 2016
  9. kado897 Win User
    I think you will find that the contents are the ProgramData folder. All you have done is expand the symbolic link.

kado897, Nov 17, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    You're right, any file that shows in it points to Program Data folder.

CountMike, Nov 17, 2016
  11. kado897 Win User
    That's the way Symbolic links and Junction points act in Explorer. They behave like a real folder rather than a shortcut.

kado897, Nov 17, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    Except the attributes are shared. If you change C:\ProgramData to not hidden for example the junction in C:\Users shows the same.

13. Kari Win User

No it does not exist. it is not a folder. As you have already been told, it's just a link.

Exactly.

14. gypsycomp Win User
    Thank you all. As Bree says, I knew I had seen it before, but did not realize it had been all the way back to XP. And then when robocopy copied the file it really became confusing,

Does anyone know why DIR or TREE do not show Symbolic Links?
    I can't find an internal CMD, or internal program, which shows symbolic links. Thank you Kado897 for the link.

gypsycomp, Nov 18, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    It does if you have authority (run as admin) and ask it to (add the /a switch).

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>dir c:\users /a Volume in drive C is Windows10 Volume Serial Number is 526E-E26D Directory of C:\users 17/11/2016 18:28 <DIR> . 17/11/2016 18:28 <DIR> .. 17/11/2016 12:06 <DIR> Hali 17/11/2016 18:28 <DIR> Administrator 16/07/2016 13:40 <SYMLINKD> All Users [C:\ProgramData] 06/08/2016 02:32 <DIR> Default 16/07/2016 13:40 <JUNCTION> Default User [C:\Users\Default] 16/07/2016 12:45 174 desktop.ini 06/08/2016 02:34 <DIR> Public 1 File(s) 174 bytes 8 Dir(s) 5,191,417,856 bytes free C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] You can type dir /? if you would like more details.

Thema:

1. Unable to see folder C:\users\all users - Similar Threads - Unable folder usersall

2. Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users: Hello,I would like to delete an old user's folder in C:\Users but there is the folder AppData and the file NTUSER.DAT which prevent me from doing so. Is there a solution to this problem I've also tried taking ownership of the folder, but it doesn't fix my...
  3. Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users: Hello,I would like to delete an old user's folder in C:\Users but there is the folder AppData and the file NTUSER.DAT which prevent me from doing so. Is there a solution to this problem I've also tried taking ownership of the folder, but it doesn't fix my...
  4. Unable to rename user folder in C:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to rename user folder in C:/: Hi, my computer was recently reformatted and afterwhich, when I click in the path C:\Users, my folder name "Rach" is no longer there and instead, it is named "user" instead, which is different from my computer login profile. How do I get it to sync and rename the folder as...
  5. Unable to rename user folder in C:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to rename user folder in C:/: Hi, my computer was recently reformatted and afterwhich, when I click in the path C:\Users, my folder name "Rach" is no longer there and instead, it is named "user" instead, which is different from my computer login profile. How do I get it to sync and rename the folder as...
  6. C:\User folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\User folders: Please respond to the following with your thoughts and recommendations since this setup looks WACKY to me:Note that I am the only person who has ever used my computer. No one else has ever created a User folder on it.There are five User folders under C:\Users in my File...
  7. Unable to change C drive - user folder name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change C drive - user folder name: Hello, I have a new laptop and set-up as a new user with Windows 10 following all the prompts. My main C drive user folder name was auto-created and I'm unable to change it. It automatically took part of my user name. I cannot find any way to edit this folder to rename...
  8. Renaming the user folder under c:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renaming the user folder under c:\users: Hi all. As a user who's part of a domain, my user folder under C:\Users is very long and this is disturbing when I use Bash (WSL). the folder is first.last.domainName and that's too long. Ideally, I just want my user folder to be my first.last name without the domain name...
  9. Postgres Folder In C:\Users ???

in Windows 10 Support
    Postgres Folder In C:\Users ???: I recently noticed this folder in my C:\Users folder named postgres. I didn't find mush about it when searching the web. I was wondering what this might be associated with? Here are a few screenshots I took. Showing it's location and the folders therein. [img] [img] The...
  10. How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?: While my request in the thread Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account? was successfully handled, I now have this situation which I consider appropriate to mention in a new thread. Basically, I would like to rename the "new user" folder of the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to see the c:/users folder

2. Unable to see AllUsers folders on the c drive