Windows 10: Unable to set a lock screen background image (Win10).

Discus and support Unable to set a lock screen background image (Win10). in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am currently unable to set a lock screen background image (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit). When on the Lock Screen customization window, it is pretty bare... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Panther, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Panther Win User

Unable to set a lock screen background image (Win10).

I am currently unable to set a lock screen background image (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit). When on the Lock Screen customization window, it is pretty bare with no images to choose from. Browsing and choosing any image results in nothing happening and it does not add it (refer to LockScreen image attached). If I try to set it when viewing any image it has the error "Can't set as lock screen. Make sure the file isn't damaged and try again." (refer to PhotoSet image attached). Also note that the Slideshow option is not in the dropdown either.

Some background on this is probably needed, so here's what has happened/been done:
    In Windows 8.1 I customized the default lock screen to a custom image using the guide at http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html (the manual method/Option 2). Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 10 and it set the lock screen to a basic color. Then the fun started...

1. Lock Screen customization appeared normal/functional. Tried choosing a different image or custom image. It would appear set, but lock screen would not change (even after reboot).

2. Tried troubleshooting by taking the same actions as in Windows 8.1. Did the same actions for the new folders that Windows 10 uses in the %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\ folder (deleted the images within the lettered folder(s)).

3. Checked every Registry Key I found mention of when searching online (none needing to be changed).

4. I renamed the SystemData folder as a website recommended. Windows did make a new, fresh copy. However this is what kicked it over to the state I am in now. Restoring the old folder did no good.

5. Before coming here I did one last thing. I ran sfc /scannow. It claimed the img100 was corrupt and replaced it, but nothing changed.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to restore the functionality of the Lock Screen customization without reinstalling Windows? Note that I am not trying to change the logon screen background...even though I would love to do that too. Other than this issue everything is running great/perfect.

:)

Panther, Jul 29, 2015
  2. MichealOrlando, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Cannot change log-in screen backgound in Windows 10

I have a custom photo as my lock screen background. I've found instructions that indicate that the lock screen background can also be set as the log-in screen background by going to settings-personalization-lock screen and then page down and there is an
    option to set the log-in screen to the lock screen background. However, I have no such option in my personalization-lock screen settings. My only option is to either turn on or turn off "show Windows background picture on sign-on screen". There is no option
    for anything other than to either turn on or off the Windows background picture - no option to set the log-in (sign-in) screen to any other image.

I've been unable to find any solution to this issue. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

KanbunUechi, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Gawthorne Win User

You're not alone. I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same problem.

Gawthorne, Jul 30, 2015
  5. a66fm Win User
    check if the secure logon option is enabled

windows key+R

type secpol.msc

Unable to set a lock screen background image (Win10). [​IMG]

open local policies>security options>interactive logon:do not require CTRL + ALT + DEL

and set it to "enabled"

a66fm, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Panther Win User
    I always have mine set to require Ctrl+Alt+Del, but I went ahead and tried turning that off (Enabling the option) like you mentioned. The only change I saw was instead of a basic purple color it is now black. Sadly, trying to set the lock screen background still has the same issues after doing this. Thank you for the suggestion though *Smile.

Panther, Jul 30, 2015
  7. I am having the exact same issue.

I hope someone comes up with a fix.

carbonunit, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Unable to set a lock screen background image (Win10).

I've also seen the issue "Can't set as lock screen". The work around for me, was to open up the Photos app directly and then find the photo within the app. If I just clicked on the actual photo first, I also get the error.

msawyer612, Jul 30, 2015
  9. My wife's computer had the problem in the personalization screen. No matter what I tried, I couldn't set a lock screen image. I screen for a reg key that could be locking the image and found this location. There was a key with a locked image, must have been there in Win8.1 before the upgrade. Deleting the reg key for the image fixed my issue.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

msawyer612, Jul 30, 2015
  10. That did not work.

carbonunit, Jul 31, 2015
  11. I don't have this key

carbonunit, Jul 31, 2015
  12. Panther Win User
    Tried opening the Photos App first. It doesn't error doing it that way, but the lock screen doesn't actually change. Lock screen customization screen still blank.

I don't have the registry key either.

Panther, Jul 31, 2015
  13. nencio Win User

Hi, I have the same problem. I tried everything in this post and other found on internet but I didn't fix it. I have Windows 10 Home and I don't have Policy Group Editor.

nencio, Jul 31, 2015
  14. Ive just re installed win10 to test.

I was able to change the lock screen, and it showed up correctly, Prior to joining my domain.

Domain controller is a windows server 2012 box.

have made no other changes to the pc other than joining the domain.

now I only get a solid blue background on the lock screen.

dmxking512, Jul 31, 2015
  15. Panther Win User
    Further notes for reference: I am not on a domain. I am the only user (and admin) on my PC. No group policies and such set.

Panther, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Unable to set a lock screen background image (Win10). - Similar Threads - Unable set lock

2. Unable to change lock screen background

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change lock screen background: For quite some time now I've been having issues with trying to change my lock screen background, I have tried switching to the slideshow and picture back and forth, but It shows my chosen picture in settings, yet whenever I sign out it ends up using the Windows Spotlight...
  3. Can't change lock screen background image

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't change lock screen background image: it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-lock-screen-background-image/36ae0fd3-7441-4621-b82d-351bfd133204
  4. Unable to remove duplicate Win10 Lock Screen image

Unable to remove duplicate Win10 Lock Screen image: Is there a way to remove the duplicate Win10 Lock Screen image as shown here in my image? Guess I did something wrong... How can I remove it from the Settings\Personalization\Lock Screen 132293
  5. Lock Screen and Background settings

Lock Screen and Background settings: Can someone explain why my pictures on my Lock Screen and Background randomly change to Album Art picture I never even browsed. I reset to the pictures I want and within an hour they are changed out again. Then tell me how I can stop it from happening....
  6. Enabling the "show background image on sign-in" sets a grey background on my lock screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Enabling the "show background image on sign-in" sets a grey background on my lock screen: As the title says. I've tried many workarounds that have been posted, powershell etc. but none worked. Here is an image. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enabling-the-show-background-image-on-sign-in-sets/0cefff04-cfc3-4487-a358-b5867f8d70b7
  7. Windows lock screen background images

Windows lock screen background images: Hi I use the random picture for my windows lock screen background similar to the one shown below [img] Well the other day I had one of a couple of otters in Homer Alaska and my wife fell in love with it. I was going to save it for her but with the holidays and all it...
  8. Windows lock screen background images

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows lock screen background images: Hi I use the random picture for my windows lock screen background similar to the one shown below [img] Well the other day I had one of a couple of otters in Homer Alaska and my wife fell in love with it. I was going to save it for her but with the holidays and all it...
  9. The Classic Default Win10 Background Lock Screen Image got Remoced?

The Classic Default Win10 Background Lock Screen Image got Remoced?: From the Lock Screen Image setting display, the classic Windows 10 image logo seemed to be removed in the Win10 1803 build. Is this the case? The default Lock Screen images does mot have the classic looking Windows 10 theme anymore. I attached two images. The classic theme...
  10. Background info on lock screen images?

Background info on lock screen images?: I typically like the lock screens that Windows 10 shows very much. Already several times I was wondering how to get more background info on the picture shown, specifically: where was that picture taken? Or like today: what village does it show? It's beautiful and I'ld...