Windows 10: Unable to share files over Network

Discus and support Unable to share files over Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Unable to share files over Network I'm wondering if the requirement to log in is what's preventing me sharing on my network - on which 4 other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by clemenzina, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Unable to share files over Network

Unable to share files over Network

I'm wondering if the requirement to log in is what's preventing me sharing on my network - on which 4 other laptops running Windows 10 are all happily communicating with the same sharing permissions as I've set up on this one. When I try to access files/folders on this new laptop (Asus N752VX) I'm told I don't have permission.

Password protected sharing is turned off.

===

I must add... heaven knows why I'm finding it so difficult to set up this laptop when I've coped fine with Windows 10 on my others... except I'm a little bit older? *Redface

:)

clemenzina, Jan 11, 2017

2. File sharing over local network

Hello Larry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please try the following methods and check if that resolves the issue:

Method 1:
    Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows10 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the Network Adapter Settings on the computer. It also checks if the network adapter drivers are up to date or not. It may
    also provide you some clue about the hardware failures happening to the Network Adapter. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

• Press “Windows Logo” from the keyboard.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Network Adapter”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Once after running the troubleshooters, check troubleshooting reports and let’s know the details. You may also try out the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps.

You may also try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Network Card Drivers from the computer/network card manufacturer’s website and check the status of the issue.

Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the Network Card Drivers.

Step 1: Uninstall the Network Adapter Drivers

• Right click on Start menu.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Network Adapter from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then
      remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Network Card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the Network Card model and then install it by following the instructions
    given in the website.

You may also refer to the articles given below, try the suggestions given in them and check if that helps:

Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/...3&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

(Applicable for windows 10 also.)

Please wait while the system check for the updates. If updates are found, click on Install updates.

Hope the information helps to fix the issue, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jan 11, 2017
  3. File sharing over local network

Network file sharing in Win 10 just does not work. When will you fix this? An update last fall made it stop working. I can see all devices just fine but folders on the other devices have no contents. Everything is shared and shows that in Windows. You
    are just not propagating the files on other devices on the network. When you run the Homegroup troubleshooter it shows the problem is Network related but then when you run that following troubleshooter, it finds no problem. This is very frustrating.

Larry Martin_1956, Jan 11, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Are you using Network Shares or Home Group? If you are having issues, it can be third party Security Software if you are running any on that machine.

bro67, Jan 11, 2017
  5. I do apologise, Bro67 *Sad Please put it down to frustration, confusion and tiredness that I haven't responded.

Incidentally, I haven't been able to use HomeGroup for yonks - maybe because the originating laptop did a runner years ago? Anyway, I never get anywhere trying to join the one Windows thinks I should.

To cut a long story short, I upgraded this new laptop from Home to Pro (to match my others), then reset to factory settings, and have managed to get enough communication to use it for the purpose I bought it for. Still being asked for Network Credentials in some instances, but life's too short to struggle with that any more.

Thank you for chipping in - I'm sure it's infuriating when people you try to help don't respond so I hope you will forgive me *Redface

clemenzina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to share files over Network - Similar Threads - Unable share files

2. File sharing over network not working again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File sharing over network not working again: Hello,I have been having this problem since getting a new desktop at the beginning of the year and installing Windows 11; I don't know what to do anymore. We are on a network with two computers and need to file share. Whenever I double click and try to see the laptops' files,...
  3. File sharing over network not working again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File sharing over network not working again: Hello,I have been having this problem since getting a new desktop at the beginning of the year and installing Windows 11; I don't know what to do anymore. We are on a network with two computers and need to file share. Whenever I double click and try to see the laptops' files,...
  4. File sharing over a network in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File sharing over a network in Windows 10: File sharing over a network in Windows 10 allows you to share files and folders on your computer with other users over a private or public network in your workgroup or domain. Steps to Set Up File Sharing on a Windows PCNote: These steps needs to be done on each Windows PC...
  5. File Sharing Over a local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing Over a local network: I am trying to access my old PC which is on my home network. The system is detected but when I click it it asks for credentials and will not accept my Microsoft password. I use the same account to sign into both systems and it works fine to sign in to either one individually...
  6. File sharing over private network

File sharing over private network: How do I enable password protected sharing only for public networks? I want to achieve free sharing for all computers on the private network no passwords necessary, but prevent any sharing on public networks. Is this impossible?...
  7. Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Cannot access files over Network Sharing: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  8. Problems sharing files over network

Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  9. Problems sharing files over network

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  10. File sharing over a home network

File sharing over a home network: Hello, By following instructions from this site for sharing files on my home network, which has two computers on it, I have been able to share files from one computer, a laptop connected to the network, with a desktop computer on the same network. I have not been able to...