Windows 10: Unable to share printer

Discus and support Unable to share printer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I have a new Windows 10 system (A) which has a printer attached. I'm trying to share the printer with another computer (B) also running windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PoBear, Dec 14, 2015.

1. PoBear Win User

Unable to share printer

Hi

I have a new Windows 10 system (A) which has a printer attached. I'm trying to share the printer with another computer (B) also running windows 10, both computers can see each other on the network but when B tries to look at A it gets a message that it can't access A.

The printer is shared and as a far as I can see file and printer sharing is enabled but the add printer routine can't find it.

I can see A and it's shares on a W7 computer (C) on the same network without problem and it has detected and can use the printer.

All computers are in the same Workgroup and both W10 machines (A+B) are in the same Homegroup.

B was able to use the printer when it was attached to D, unfortunately D is now dead and replaced by A.

Any ideas

Thanks

:)

PoBear, Dec 14, 2015
  2. apunacha Win User

Can not use printer in E71 , is it a **bleep** feature in E71 ?

I have Nokia E71 and my laptop having a shared printer ,

I added a printer in E71 using bluetooth as bearer

But I am unable to use the printer shared in my laptop

how can i use the shared printer ?

apunacha, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Unable to share printer

None of the solutions suggested worked. I am now thinking that I may need to remove the user completely from the network and add again?

WilliamGreene_876, Dec 14, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Unable to share printer

If you have Advanced sharing properly set up, same as the sharing for the printer, so that "Everyone" can see it. It should show up on the other computer as a Network device in Devices and Printers.

Some printers do require the manufacturer software to be installed, before the computer sees the printer.

bro67, Dec 14, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Old old post of mine on W7 Forums -- look for post nr 5 in the thread.
    While it says XP and W7 printer sharing -- shows how old post is -- the method still works today - whatever Windows you are sharing the printers between.

XP to 7 Printer sharing - Windows 7 Help Forums

in case you can't find it here's a copy

..............extract from previous post .....
    Hi there
    I've posted on this before but to share Printers attached to XP computers with either X-64 or X-32 versions of W7 is SIMPLE. These instructions are for the Printer attached to the XP machine (but works in reverse as well).

("Stand alone" Network printers can be done slightly similarly BTW).

assume the computers are call XPMACHINE and W7MACHINE.

1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared - assume it's called SHAREDPRINTER.

2) On the Network Browsing on your W7 machine ensure you can "See" the Printer share.

Now on the W7 machine do the following (doesn't matter if it's X-86 or x-64).

3) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is "Poodlefaking" the W7 machine into thinking it's running the printer.

4) Create NEW port==>Local port

5) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

6) Now W7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP machine.

Simple

(For a "Network stand alone printer") at 4) chose TCPIP port
    and at 5) enter the IP address.

If the printer is on the W7 machine and you want to print on the XP machine then do the same instructions on the XP machine --
    port name in this case will be \\W7MACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 14, 2015
  6. PoBear Win User
    Thanks guys for the replies but I think you have misunderstood the problem, I'm sure it's my fault as it was late when I posted.

I have three PC's A10, B10 and C7, A10 and B10 are running Windows 10 Home and C7 is running Window 7 Pro and all are part of the same workgroup.

A10 has an HP printer attached. File and printer sharing is enabled and the printer is shared.

I'm trying to make the printer available to B10.

I've been able to install the printer on C7 without problem. the printer was visible on the network and I had no problem installing it with "add printer"

B10 has the printer software already installed, I can see A10 on the network but cannot see any of the shares, including the printer, when I try and expand A10 I get a message that the computer cannot access A10, I get the same message when I try the add printer routine.

The Microsoft account for B10 is also defined on A10 and is setup and accessible.

I used to have a machine, D10, which the printer was attached to and was able to make it available to B10 without problem.

PoBear, Dec 14, 2015
  7. bro67 Win User
    We have not misunderstood anything.

You are explaining the problem too in depth. Either it works or does not work.

If the machine it is connected to has Sharing enabled in the prolerties for the printer. Then the other computers should see it as a network device.

Some of the HP printers require HP's software installed on a computer, before it will even be seen on the network.

Suggest you go to hp.com and pull up the manual on your computer and download the software for it, to install on all machines.

Also as I stated before. You need to make sure advanced sharing is set to "Everyone".

This is not like building a rocket. It is basic networking 101 stuff.

bro67, Dec 15, 2015
  8. PoBear Win User

Unable to share printer

I'm sorry to be a pain about this but you are not reading my post properly. I do know how to set up printer sharing, it was working on the machine that crashed.

There isn't an Advanced sharing tab for the printer.

The printer is shared and is visible and usable by my W7 machine. It is not visible and therefore not usable by my W10 machines.

On my W7 machine, when I go into network I see all of the computers in the workgroup when I double click on A10 it shows all of the shares on the machine, three shared folder and the shared printer.

On the B10 machine when I go into network I see all of the computers in the workgroup when I double click on the A10 I get an error saying it cannot access the computer.

PoBear, Dec 15, 2015
  9. bro67 Win User
    Again I have read it, both of us who have replied to you how to do this, you keep writing a book about something that is very basic to do.

You are refusing to take care of this matter on your own. There is no way that myself or Jimbo45, who is more well versed on doing it from the Command Terminal, because he deals with Domains. I deal with non-domain networks

We have no access to your network setup. You need to follow what we have stated, which both ways have worked for thousands of users with a shared printer connected to a workstation via USB.

You are now on your own. I am sorry that you keep wanting to chase your tail on something that is Basic 101 networking.

bro67, Dec 15, 2015
  10. PoBear, did you check that password protected sharing it turned off for all networks on the machine with the printer?

I'm having a similar problem. I have a Windows 10 machine with a printer shared. All Win7 computers on the network can see and print to the printer. However, I just upgraded one of those machines to Windows 10 Pro, with a clean install of Win10 and this new Win10 machine won't let me add the shared printer. In the add printer dialog I can navigate to the computer and see the shared printer, but it gives me a login dialog (unlike the Win7 machines which don't ask), and if I type in the username/password on that machine doing the sharing I get a message "The credentials supplied are not sufficient to access this printer."

absolutejeff, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to share printer

1. Unable to share printer - Similar Threads - Unable share printer

2. Unable to Access Shared Printer on Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Access Shared Printer on Network: Hello, I'm having trouble accessing a shared printer on my home network from my Windows 11 laptop. The printer is connected to another computer on the network, and sharing is enabled, but I can't seem to connect to it. Whenever I try to add the printer, I receive an error...
  3. Unable to Access Shared Printer on Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Access Shared Printer on Network: Hello, I'm having trouble accessing a shared printer on my home network from my Windows 11 laptop. The printer is connected to another computer on the network, and sharing is enabled, but I can't seem to connect to it. Whenever I try to add the printer, I receive an error...
  4. Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment: Dear team, I am trying to connect to the printer from windows 11 which is shared from windows 10 machine. During which i am frequently encountering "windows couldn't connect to the printer check the printer name and try again " i tried each and every step present over...
  5. Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment

Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment: Dear team, I am trying to connect to the printer from windows 11 which is shared from windows 10 machine. During which i am frequently encountering "windows couldn't connect to the printer check the printer name and try again " i tried each and every step present over...
  6. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access shared printer: When i am trying to connect with shared printer keeps getting User ID and password prompt to get connect. I have turned off network discovery password protection. Tried to the partner host administrator password but no luck,...
  7. Unable to access shared printer

Unable to access shared printer: When i am trying to connect with shared printer keeps getting User ID and password prompt to get connect. I have turned off network discovery password protection. Tried to the partner host administrator password but no luck,...
  8. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Unable to connect to shared printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to connect to shared printer: I have posted this problem before and have not cured it yet. I have two Windows 10 PCs on a local network that used to share printers on the old Homegroup arrangement. Both PCs have printers setup to be shared. Both PCs are on version 20H2 now. Lets call them PC A and PC B...
  10. Printer sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printer sharing: I have two PCs working in a Home Workgroup. When i upgraded both PCs to version 1803 i lost the ability to share the printer on PC2 with PC1. The PC1 printer could still be shared with PC2. I have struggled with this problem for several months, trying everything i could...