Windows 10: Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen

Discus and support Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; July 15, 2017 I have WIN 10 Pro on a Dell laptop. I have been unable to find a way to show ALL accounts, User, (built in) Administrator, Guest... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by krazykat tenf, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen

July 15, 2017

I have WIN 10 Pro on a Dell laptop.

I have been unable to find a way to show ALL accounts, User, (built in) Administrator, Guest account, etc at WIN 10 login/sign on. The only account I can get to show in my user account (which has administrator status).
    I have successfully used the cmd “net user administrator / active:yes, net user administrator * “ and successfully assigned a password, and the net user guest / active:yes command. I restart or power down and restart and the only account that shows is the single user account. As far as I can tell issueing the above commands should make the Administrator and Guest accounts show on the login/signon screen. I have tried a couple of other options I found on line but without success.

I must be missing something. I did see a couple of comments about “User group. Home group” but could not figure out what was being asked. My Dell laptop is used at home, wireless connected to my router and the internet. I do not remember being asked any questions about “home group” or “groups” at installation on WIN 10.

Would appreciate any (detail) instructions or links showing how to make all the WIN 10 PRO accounts to show at logon.

Thank you

:)

krazykat tenf, Jul 14, 2017
  2. markfishb Win User

administrator setting

This is my problem. No other account name shows up in the user account dialog box. Just my administrator account and a choice of "manage my microsoft account" or "sign in with a local account instead".

No Guest account named here. But Guest account does show when I go to CMD prompt and enter "net user".

This is why the problem is so frustrating and when I turn on the computer in the AM, the guest account shows on screen to login by default, NOT my administrator account. - weird?

-Mark

markfishb, Jul 14, 2017
  3. BladeKit Win User
    Locked in as Guest account

OK I followed your instructions to the letter. After I typed in net user administrator /active:yes , it said "command input successful". I type exit and then perform a restart. It brings me to my login screen and my only opting is to login
    into the Guest account. When I have to login to the Administrator for the Command Prompt, there is no password required. Would that have anything to do with it?

Nothing has changed with the Guest account, so I am unable to create a new one.

BladeKit, Jul 14, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen

Unless you made a typo here the command is incorrect. There should not be a space between / and active so if you want to enable built in administrator with password = "Secret123" you would enter:

net user administrator Secret123 /active:yes

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

You can then sign out (no need to reboot) and you should see the built in Administrator on the log-in screen.

The guest account doesn't exist any more in Windows 10. You could add an account to use as a guest account and make it part of the guests group if you want as described here Add Guest Account in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials but it is pretty limited. Users that are part of guests group can't open store apps for example.

5. lx07 --- Thanks for catching my typo (while I wipe the egg from my face). At least I faithfully reproduced my typo error in my problem statement - which you noticed. Used the correct syntax and worked first time.

Thanks again.

krazykat tenf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen

1. Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen - Similar Threads - Unable show Administrator

2. Unable to login my microsoft account in administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to login my microsoft account in administrator account: I just flashed a new version of windows and first in first setup i logged in my microsoft account and a user based on my microsoft account was created but i wanted to use administrator account as main account so i activated administrator account and deleted the orignal...
  3. windows 10 administrator account not showing in login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows 10 administrator account not showing in login screen: Hello, The Administrator account is not showing in the login screen. It only allows me to login with a Microsoft Account which I do not have access to. I have made sure that the account is enabled by login into Safe Mode and running net user administrator /active:yes but when...
  4. windows 10 administrator account not showing in login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 administrator account not showing in login screen: Hello, The Administrator account is not showing in the login screen. It only allows me to login with a Microsoft Account which I do not have access to. I have made sure that the account is enabled by login into Safe Mode and running net user administrator /active:yes but when...
  5. windows 10 administrator account not showing in login screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Changing guest account to administrator account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing guest account to administrator account: Hi thereI am unable to use administrator settings even though I am using the only account on my computer which is considered a guest account. I got typing in Windows Run: "netplwiz" and changing my account permissions to "Device Owner"Now I cannot reset the computer or use...
  7. Changing guest account to administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing guest account to administrator account: Hi thereI am unable to use administrator settings even though I am using the only account on my computer which is considered a guest account. I got typing in Windows Run: "netplwiz" and changing my account permissions to "Device Owner"Now I cannot reset the computer or use...
  8. Changing guest account to administrator account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Can't Login as Administrator, Only Guest

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Login as Administrator, Only Guest: I am logged in only as guest. I can't find any options to log in as admin. Can't update apps, or even start in safe mode. I've researched several posts about this with no definitive answer. I came across a Microsoft community post saying that this occurred with a user after...
  10. Managing guest account as administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Managing guest account as administrator: I created a standard guest account with restricted access to settings. Now I would like to do some personalization tweaks on that account (add profile picture, edit input languages and layouts etc). I can't do that when logged in as a guest. Is there a way to configure the...