Windows 10: Unable to shut down.

Discus and support Unable to shut down. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop pc with Windows 10 Pro has decided that when given the order to shut down it will do so, but then after 5 seconds or perhaps up to 15 minutes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oldtraveler, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Unable to shut down.

My laptop pc with Windows 10 Pro has decided that when given the order to shut down it will do so, but then after 5 seconds or perhaps up to 15 minutes later it will reboot. Something is telling it to restart. What???

I have already done this to try to stop it:
    In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter.

powercfg -h off

:)

oldtraveler, Dec 5, 2015
  2. Kim1969SR Win User

Unable to shut down

Has anyone seen this before. Comes up when trying to shut down computer. Thanks in advance Unable to shut down. :)
    Unable to shut down. [​IMG]

Kim1969SR, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Unable to Shut down

I have installed windows10. Now whenever I shut down my pc, it won't. The screen is black but the blue light on my PC it won't off. It means it didn't shut down properly. That is I am forcing it on the switch. I think this is some kind of bug or something.
    Please help me. Thank you. My PC is Acer Aspire V.

joecalma01, Dec 5, 2015
  4. AndreyT Win User

Unable to shut down.

"The order to shut down" - how are you giving it? By using "Power -> Shut Down" command in Start Menu? Or by pressing the power button on laptop?

AndreyT, Dec 5, 2015
  5. I use Power - Shut down in the start menu.

When I press the power button it also restarts - UNLESS I press the power button AFTER the false shutdown.

When I close the lid it also restarts - UNLESS I press the power button AFTER the false shutdown.
    -----------------------------------
    Edit:
    Problem seems to have been solved by uninstalling a Windows update of Nov. 19.2015

oldtraveler, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unable to shut down.

1. Unable to shut down. - Similar Threads - Unable shut down

2. PC is unable to shut down?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is unable to shut down?: When attempting to shut down the PC, the screen would turn black for a few seconds before turning back on, and returning me to the log in page of my PC. Any idea on what is causing this issue and how should I solve this?...
  3. PC is unable to shut down?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC is unable to shut down?: When attempting to shut down the PC, the screen would turn black for a few seconds before turning back on, and returning me to the log in page of my PC. Any idea on what is causing this issue and how should I solve this?...
  4. unable to shut down in laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to shut down in laptop: I am unable to shut down my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-shut-down-in-laptop/3648ba25-7217-4a45-8e40-86e57a69fa0d
  5. unable to shut down in laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to shut down in laptop: I am unable to shut down my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-shut-down-in-laptop/3648ba25-7217-4a45-8e40-86e57a69fa0d
  6. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  7. Computer Unable to Shutting Down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Unable to Shutting Down: I can't turn off my laptop. Even though I have used windows that are up to date and checked my security device, the results are fine. Please guide and help for my problem, thank you. Here what I have been doing for trying to turn off my laptop: 1. Disable turn off fast start...
  8. Unable to shut down computer

Unable to shut down computer: I have a Surface Book 2, new as of January, running Windows 10. When I try to shut down using Start > Power > Shut down , the computer appears to shut down - I get the normal blue screen with "shutting down", it offers to close running programs and looks like it turns off,...
  9. Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart

Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart: Hello, A couple of weeks ago I updated my Windows 10 to the most recent version, and now I'm having a pretty annoying problem. After startup, when I start my daily routine, I seem to loose my internet connection after some time (it differs every time) no matter what I'm...
  10. Laptop Unable to Shut Down Properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Unable to Shut Down Properly: Hi all! I have a HP Pavilion 15 laptop that I bought in January this year. I had no problems with this laptop at all until I updated to Windows 10 and still don't for the most part. When I attempt to shut down, hibernate or sleep my machine it goes to a black screen with...