Windows 10: Unable to sign in as System Administrator, "no program associated..."

Discus and support Unable to sign in as System Administrator, "no program associated..." in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I was attempting to change the User administrator name so that it reflected a new windows explorer file path. When my SO set up the machine, she set... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by imnevilwalrus, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Unable to sign in as System Administrator, "no program associated..."

I was attempting to change the User administrator name so that it reflected a new windows explorer file path. When my SO set up the machine, she set the user name as "Mike & Steph". Well, this is now in the file path for all of our files and I work with software where no special characters or spaces can be in the file path.

As I tried to change it, I found a forum that said to create a new local user, set it as the administrator, and delete the old one. I was wary of deleting the old one, so I created a new local user, made it the Administrator, then restarted the machine. Now I am unable to sign in as the new Admin user, when I try to I get an error message and kicked back to the Windows start-up/sign-in menu.

I am unable to sign in as the administrator at all, or change the Admin rights back to the old user.

When I try to sign into the Command Prompt (Admin), it prompts me to enter the Admin password. I do, and I get the error:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."

I am not even able to system restore, as I cannot sign in as Administrator. How can I fix this so that I can just go back to the "Mike & Steph" original user as the Administrator?

Any help would be much appreciated. I am very worried I have to restore the whole system.

Thank you!

:)

imnevilwalrus, Oct 9, 2016
  2. grschinon Win User

Enter on keypad " no. + # "

petrib is correct. It is a shortcut to SIM numbers.

Numbers on your SIM might not be in the position you think. Just because they appear sorted in alphabetical order in the contacts list doesn't mean that they appear in that same order on the SIM. On the SIM they appear in the order in which you input them,
    unless you delete a number in which case the next one entered takes its place.

grschinon, Oct 9, 2016
  3. hahakak Win User
    Enter on keypad " no. + # "

Hello guys :smileyhappy:

There's something make me crazy :s
    When I click a certain number on keypad on any NOKIA mobile
    Then click the symbol " # ", then a number of
    a contact "in my contact list" will be appeared.
    Is there anyone know how is that???
    I feel curious toward this puzzle :smileyvery-happy:
    OK., if anyone know about this topic, please tell me :smileysad:
    Anyway thanks :smileywink:

hahakak, Oct 9, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Unable to sign in as System Administrator, "no program associated..."

I assume from that wording that not only did you create a new user with administrator rights, but you also downgraded the original user from an administrator to a standard user. If so, that was unnecessary (you can have as many administrative accounts as you want) and an unfortunate choice.

You need to log in as an administrator to sort out your problems, so tell use exactly what error messages you get if you try to log into the new account you created. Let's see if we can help you sign into that, then you'll have the permissions to sort out your other problem.

Bree, Oct 9, 2016
  5. Thank you for the reply. You are correct with your assessment of the issue. Apologies for the double submission.

Below are the only two error messages I am able to produce, unfortunately.

Ex) The error message I attached with my original post. I receive this one when I go into the terminal and attempt to sign in as the administrator. Did it write a new user file without putting anything into it?
    "This file does not have permission associated with it for performing this action...."

Ex) Upon booting up the machine, I attempt to log in as the new administrator user. It shows a message:
    "The user Profile Service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded."

The weird bit is I do not get error messages for trying to change the original User back to have Admin rights.

Ex) I attempt to "Change Account Type" of my original user back to admin rights, it prompts me to enter in the password for the new administrator to do so. I type in the correct password, the pop-up go's away, but nothing else happens. It is as if it recognizes I have entered in the correct password, but does not let me change the account types. No error message output, but it also does not allow me to proceed into changing the account type.

I realize I really screwed up, I just hope there is a way to sign in as the new user to remove the admin rights. It would be nice if Windows didn't make it so difficult just to change the name of the user in windows explorer...

imnevilwalrus, Oct 9, 2016
  6. imnevilwalrus, Oct 9, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    That is a known problem with a number of known causes. In this thread....
    The user profile service failed the sign-in user profile cannot be loa
    .. @Brink said:

Bree, Oct 9, 2016
  8. Unable to sign in as System Administrator, "no program associated..."

Yeah, both these options require that there is another administrator profile not affected by the issue. Doesn't really apply.

I guess it is time to re-install windows then.

Thanks anyway for taking the time.

imnevilwalrus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to sign in as System Administrator, "no program associated..."

1. Unable to sign in as System Administrator, "no program associated..." - Similar Threads - Unable sign System

2. unable to sign in as an administrator.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    unable to sign in as an administrator.: Dear Team, I am unable to reset my laptop, getting a message to sign in as an administrator but unable to find the option to log in as an administrator. Kindly help. RegardsAlina Shah...
  3. Unable to run Programs as Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to run Programs as Administrator: I have recently noticed that, although I am shown as Administrator in my Profile and "netplwiz" confirms this, I am unable to run Programs as Administrator. They all open and run OK on double click. Anyone know what might be causing this? Cheers. Ken...
  4. Associate a Program

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Associate a Program: I have Ashampoo Burning Studio. When I had this program in my Win 7 O/S, I would insert the blank disk and I would get a menu asking which program I would like to use. when I installed Windows 10, I no longer get the menu. Instead I get a Message stating - "This file...
  5. Unable to sign in to administrators account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to sign in to administrators account: i cant sign into administrators account, the administrators promt is hidden and also i cant make changes to my system and also cant access files on the administrators account [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Windows 10 unable to change default program associations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 unable to change default program associations: Running Version 1803 (17134.345) and I'm unable to change the default program associated with various file extensions. Basically I'd like to be able to use Notepad++ for a lot of text files, but no matter how many times I try to change it via Properties/Opens With or via...
  7. Locked out of Administrator, "file does not have a program associated"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Locked out of Administrator, "file does not have a program associated": I was attempting to change the User administrator name so that it reflected a new windows explorer file path. When my SO set up the machine, she set the user name as "Mike & Steph". Well, this is now in the file path for all of our files and I work with software where no...
  8. Unable to remove Program Associations

in Browsers and Email
    Unable to remove Program Associations: After not being able to open links from Steam or Skype using Chrome, I tried to remove the program associations for Chrome. However, it appears that I cannot unselect boxes currently selected. [img] This bug also persists to other programs. For example, if I try to...
  9. Unassociated file associations only running programs as administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unassociated file associations only running programs as administrator: My issue revolves around encountering read/wright permissions with programs Java-based programs. I currently have installed jdk-8u65-windows-x64 on Windows 10 64-bit. Java is installed on C drive within program files. by Java-based programs reside outside the program folders...
  10. Run as administrator -> This file does not have a program associated..

in Windows 10 Support
    Run as administrator -> This file does not have a program associated..: There seems to be a permanent "Run as administrator" entry in my right-click context menu. If I click on this for anything but an executable or shortcut to an executable, Windows 10 throws the below error, even if I do have a program associated with the file type. [img]...